[OOC] Ethend Game: The Hunt for Cantus [Recruiting]

Ferrix

Explorer
Bront, I've got my solution to your animal companion woes.

Instead of the standard abilities you'd get from being a spell-less ranger, your animal companion's level is equal to your ranger level -3 instead of half your ranger level. Although at 6th level, this doesn't look so great since it's still effectively half your ranger level, for your muteness I'll grant you the Natural Bond feat which will put you on par with a druid of your level.

Good, yay/nay?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ferrix, I should have asked this before but forgot... Swift tracking, the 8th level ranger ability, is there anyway a scout could pick this up, liking using the 9th level feat, or get this as part of the tracking instead of trap finding tree she’s already pursuing?

sword-dancer

Explorer
Ferrix said:
Sword-dancer - interesting concept, I like the idea of the Janissarie. An "elite" group of non-Mythar enforcers used by the Mythar to keep the populace in fear and division. Expand a bit more on your characters background, etc.
I will.
What kind of force the mythar will use as their military or militariced police?

Ferrix

Explorer
sword-dancer said:
I will.
What kind of force the mythar will use as their military or militariced police?

Humans most likely with Kobold trackers, non-psionic almost certainly. I'd probably say Fighters, Rogues and Rangers. These aren't really the Mythar's military, but they're "elite" local police force kind of thing. They're the paid Mythar-lackeys, they get treated a bit better, have juridical powers over the normal populace, and are expected to be treated as such by the populace.

A standard unit would probably be something like 4 human fighter 1's and a kobold ranger 1.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Ferrix said:
Bront, I've got my solution to your animal companion woes.

Instead of the standard abilities you'd get from being a spell-less ranger, your animal companion's level is equal to your ranger level -3 instead of half your ranger level. Although at 6th level, this doesn't look so great since it's still effectively half your ranger level, for your muteness I'll grant you the Natural Bond feat which will put you on par with a druid of your level.

Good, yay/nay?
Perfect, sounds fair, balanced, and exactly along the lines of what I was looking for :)

Is everything else about the character A-OK? Other than missing the last feat and all? I ran out of things to spend money on (Leather armor is cheap and masterwork doesn't help it any) and ended up buying masterwork weapons when I normaly wouldn't (I don't normaly need masterwork Everything). BS and I worked out the background a bit better, so he was a slave who was trotted around places for a while, I'll try to write that up tonight.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ferrix said:
I'd say you could take it at 9th level as a feat.

Actually I just saw that the scout gets a bonus feat at level 8, I missed it on the chart earlier, so if you have no objection I would like to take Swift tracking as the bonus feat. (IMHO it makes more sense for the Scout's bonus feat to grant this ability and it at the same level as the ranger’s ability.)

Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself but let me know what you think. :eek:

Ferrix

Explorer
Brother Shatterstone said:
Actually I just saw that the scout gets a bonus feat at level 8, I missed it on the chart earlier, so if you have no objection I would like to take Swift tracking as the bonus feat. (IMHO it makes more sense for the Scout's bonus feat to grant this ability and it at the same level as the ranger’s ability.)

Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself but let me know what you think. :eek:

Works with me.

RillianPA

First Post
Ok here is my first pass at Jerod, Human with the soul of a Gnome

[SBLOCK]Jerod
Human Soulknife 7

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 170 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Skin: White/Tan

STR: 16 [+3] (10 points)
DEX: 16 [+3] (8 points + 1 for 4th level)
CON: 14 [+2] (6 points)
INT: 10 [--] (2 points)
WIS: 13 [+1] (5 points)
CHA: 10 [--] (2 points)

Wound Points: 14
Vitality Dice: 7d8 + 14
VP: 58
Armor Class: 18 (10 base + 3 Dex + 2 Armor + 3 Defense Bonus)
DR: 2/armor
Initiative: +7
BAB: +7/+2
- Melee: +10/+5
- Ranged: +10/+5

Speed: 40' (as long as Focus is maintained, otherwise 30')

FORT: +4 (2 Base + 2 Con)
REFL: +8 (5 Base + 3 Dex)
WILL: +6 (5 Base + 1 Wis)

Abilities:
+2 bonus on social related checks involving non-Mythar races
4 ranks in a single Craft or Profession skill
+2 racial bonus on that skill
That skill always a class skill
Bonus Feat
4 extra skill points at 1st level, +1 skill point per additional level
Favored Class: Any non-Oriental
Mind blade
Throw Mind blade
Psychic Strike +2d8
+1 mind blade
Free Draw
Shape mind blade
Mind blade Enhancement +1

Feats:
1st Level
- Power Attack
Human Bonus
- Cleave
1st Soulknife
- Weapon Focus (mind blade), Hidden Talent
3rd Level
- Improved Initiative
6th Level
- Up the Walls
6th Soulknife
- Speed of Thought

Skills:
Autohypnosis +13 (10 ranks, +1 Wis, +2 Syn)
Balance +7 (2 ranks, +3 Dex, +2 Syn)
Concentration +11 (9 ranks, +2 Con)
Craft(Armorsmithing) +6 (4 ranks, +0 Int, +2 Racial)
Jump +8 (5 ranks, +3 Str, +2 Syn)
Knowledge(Psionics) +5 (3 ranks, +0 Int, +2 Syn)
Listen +6 (5 ranks, +1 Wis)
Speak Language (1 rank)
Spot +6 (5 ranks, +1 Wis)
Tumble +15 (10 ranks, +3 Dex, +2 Syn)

Languages:
- Common, Gnome

Psionics:
Manifester Level: 1
Save DC: 10 + 0 Cha + 1
Powers Known – Power Points: 2pp
1st level – Force Screen (+2 AC, +2 DR/armor)

Equipment:

Melee weapons
-Mind blade +12/+7 (1d10+5, 17-20/x2) Keen

Ranged weapons
-Mind blade +12 (1d10+5, 17-20/x2, 30 ft.) Keen

Miscellaneous Magical or Psionic Items
-Name (gp, lb)

Potions or Psionic Tattoos
-Type (gp)

Scrolls or Power Stones
-Type (gp)

Mundane equipment
Explorer's Outfit (0gp, (8lb))
Flint and Steel (2gp, -lb)
Belt Pouch (1gp, 0.5lb)
Everburning Torch (110 gp, -lb)
-In the form of an crystal on a necklace, with a leather cover
Backpack (2gp, 2lb)
_Bedroll (1sp, 5lb)
_5 Rations, trail (1sp, 5lb)
----Used: 0 days
_10 candles (5cp, -lb)
_Case, map or scroll (1gp, .5lb)
_Chalk, 1pc (1cp, -lb)
_Fishhook (1sp, -lb)
_Grappling Hook (1gp, 4lb)
_Rope, silk 50ft (10gp, 5lb)
_Hammer (5sp, 2lb)
_Ink, 1oz (8gp, -lb)
_Inkpen (1sp, -lb)
_Lantern, Bullseye (12gp, 3lb)
_Mirror, Small Steel (10gp, .5lb)
_Oil, 2x 1pint flask (2sp, 2lb)
_Oil, 2x 1pint skin (2sp, 2lb)
_Paper, 5x sheets (2gp, -lb)
_Piton x8 (8sp, 4lb)
_Pouch, belt (1gp, .5lb)
_Sack x3 (3sp, 1.5lb)
_Sealing Wax (1gp, 1lb)
_Sewing Needle (5sp, -lb)
_Soap (5sp, 1lb)
_5 empty vials (5gp, .5lb)
_Waterskin (1gp, 4lb)
_Whetstone (2cp, 1lb)

Armor
-Mithril Chain Shirt (1100gp, 10lb)

Remain money: 1729gp, 5sp, 2cp

Weight Carried: 55lb with Backpack, 10.5lbs without
__________Lgt Med Hvy Lift Push
Max Weight: 76 153 230 460 1150

Description
Jerod looks average. Average height, average tan/white skin color, brown eyes that are neither dark nor light, no distinguishing features. In bright light, his hair appears almost blond, in low light almost black, but always brown.

Personality
Jerod seems like a friendly young man, however, he tends to be quiet and generally very reserved.

Background
Jerod was 11 when it happened. He and his family lived in a small village on the edge of the Eastern Outlands. His father, the village smith, was showing him the finer points of shaping a plow when his mother ran in.
"Its the Mythar! They've found us."

Tears welled up in his mother's eyes. "Jerod," his father said "quick, get in the hole". Moving the massive anvil, his father pushed Jerod into the small space below it, and then replaced the anvil. In the small openings left, Jerod could see his father pull a long sword of some white, glittery (crystal) substance from his mother's hope chest. The next half hour was a blur of shouts, screams, fire and smoke. When he awoke it took him hours to finally shift the anvil enough to escape, and he wished he hadnt.

The village was gone. Everything had been destroyed, and the people killed, but there was no sign of his parents. He searched for hours, but nothing was left, no parents, no food, nothing. Finally, he began to wander in search of help, dazed by his loss.

1 month passes

Seryl was weeding his little vegetable patch. "Ah, the celery looks crisp this year" he thought to himself, and then he noticed the growling. As he turned to look, he placed his hand behind his back, and focused his mind, summoning the searing blade that was his soulknife. Turning to the sound, it took him a long moment to realize what he was looking at. It was a human child, filthy and barely clothed, with a feral look on its face, staring at him and growling.

"By my hairy Aunt Tudy", he thought, "where did that come from?" Allowing the blade to dissipate, Seryl, began to speak as he would speak to one of his burrowing mammal friends, in kind, soft tones. Plucking a few large ripe strawberries from his garden, he held them out to the child, continuing to speak in gentle words. He moved slowly toward the child, until he had halved the distance between them, and then waited for the child to respond. Slowly, with flashes of teeth and hesitant growls, the child moved towards Seryl, entranced by the sight of the berries. Finally coming within reach, the child snatched the berries from Seryl's hand. As the child consumed the fruit, Seryl backed up slowly to the garden, and gathered more food. In this way, he slowly led the child towards his home, and a full belly. As he watched, the child slurped down one last blackberry, and suddenly seemed to come into focus. Suddenly, his eyes began to well up, and he fell against the gnome, shaking with sobs. "Mommy...Daddy!" Seryl heard in his mind.

In the days that followed, Seryl found that the child (who eventually revealed that his name was Jerod), was an amazingly quick study, learning Gnomish, his house rules, and how to garden within days. More than that, Jerod clearly had a powerful mental presense. His interest piqued, Seryl began to teach Jerod the basic Concentration and control techniques of a Soulknife, and the child absorbed them like a washcloth.

Seryl had never yearned for family or students. In fact, he had chosen his home, outside the normal limits of the gnome settlement, because he preferred his solitude, and independence. But as he learned Jerod's story, and watched him soak up knowledge, he came to a decision. He would adopt the child, officially, and train him as a Soulknife. He knew that the village elders would object, but as the only Knife of this village, Seryl had certain leeway, and he knew he could get away with it. As it turned out, he was right, though the elders did pressure him to take another student, which he grudgingly accepted, though he only only pretended reticence. A partner was necessary to the training techniques, and so that day, Seryl took home with him, a new son, and two new students.

For Jerod, the next few years seemed like the happiest, and most exhausting of his life. He mostly forgot his parents, except for the small spiral shaped amulet, they had given him. He quickly came to think of Andyl, the gnome student, as his brother, and he came to love Seryl, despite his rigorous training.

As he approached his 17th birthday, Jerod began to have powerful dreams. At first he could not remember them, but as time progressed, they became stronger until he could barely sleep. They were dreams of his parents, calling to him. "Find us," they said "find who you are" over and over. Seryl, knew that these were not normal dreams. He knew that he had to let his son, seek out into the world, and find out who he was. So Jerod has gone out into the world, seeking for knowledge of his parents, knowing only that the Mythar sought them out.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Remove ads