Can Bursts/Spreads be Spaheable?

Kelleris

Explorer
From the SRD:

(S) Shapeable: If an Area or Effect entry ends with “(S),” you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.

Can spells with a burst or spread area be shapeable? I always took shapeable to mean that you could omit specific squares from the area of effect of spell, and things like that. But reading this I'm not so sure. As long as the spell still hits a 10-foot radius, could you put holes in it, and similar effects?

Infiniti2000

First Post
I'm not sure that the question you are asking is the question you want to ask. The strict answer to your question is "Yes, if the spell block says it's shapeable, then it's shapeable." I'm not sure that's what you're looking for though. There's a good chance that there are no burst or spread effects that have (S) in the spell block. You could, however, use the Archmage Mastery of Shaping ability, or Sculpt Spell. Then, yes, you could put a hole in the middle (though I seem to recall some caveat about contiguous squares, but unsure about it).

Kelleris

Explorer
I'm asking this from the perspective of someone designing new spells. It's the "no dimensions may be less than 10 feet" clause that has me wondering.

Remove ads