How to run Planes?

Davmeister84

First Post
The question in the thread title pretty much stands on it's own.

I've never really understood how to properly understand and run Planes in D&D. Are they alternate universes that you can only intentionally transport to, or are they an overlapping layer of reality that you can wander into by mistake?

Or is it more connected, like a giant sprawling "connect the dots" type thing? Like the Prime Material plane connects only to the Astral and Ethereal, which you need to traverse to reach the Positive Energy and Fire planes?

I suppose I just need a really good primer on this sort of thing. Anyone know where I can find one?

reason

First Post
Golden rule - do it as you enjoy doing it. There's plenty of examples out there in published DnD materials for both the gate and overlap models. Myself, I'm exploring the subtle overlap model and having a blast:

http://www.principiainfecta.com/archives/the_enclave/lore/the_farthest/index.php

But what you like is what you like. Consider the flavor you want to have in your campaigns (is it Planescapy with lots of cultural overlap, or Cthulhuy with very little overlap, or Stargatey with big obvious gateways to very different places, Slidersy with everywhere being only subtly different, etc) and then work back from the flavor to the cosmology you like.

Reason
Principia Infecta

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This is one of those questions that have a lot of answers, I think it has a lot to do with your campaign world myth and setup for they can be both overlapping, different worlds and/or both in relationship to your cosmo, it comes down to what you want.

There was a very good thread a couple of weeks ago on the subject:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=140930

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Davmeister84 said:
've never really understood how to properly understand and run Planes in D&D. Are they alternate universes that you can only intentionally transport to, or are they an overlapping layer of reality that you can wander into by mistake?

Or is it more connected, like a giant sprawling "connect the dots" type thing? Like the Prime Material plane connects only to the Astral and Ethereal, which you need to traverse to reach the Positive Energy and Fire planes?

As others have alluded to, there really is no one "right" way to do it.

It is certainly more traditional to only allow access to the planes through either powerful magic or GM arranged "natural" gates and portals. I liked the idea of a "mingling" however, where two planes come together, and depending upon the path you take through it, you might end up leaving the area of the mingling on a different plane than you started out on. That's a nice approach for low level PCs if you want to introduce them to another plane and deal with the problems therein while trying to figure out how to get back.

RedWick

First Post
Decide on the method by which characters move between the different planes and stay consistant (unless inconsistancy is what you're aiming for). My current game is kind of a Planar Superheros setting, and I've structured things on a Beyond Countless Doors arrangement, wherein each of the different worlds is seperate unto itself and there are specific gateways/portals/spells which are needed to move from one world to another.

Quickleaf

Legend
It seems like you've got a good grasp of possible cosmologies. Cosmology deals with how to get there, and what the neighboring planes are. The more important part, IMHO, is the content/theme of the plane. What is it like once you get there? In what ways does this feel like an alien/mystifying/incomprehensible/hellish/heavenly place? If there are sentient inhabitants, how is their thinking totally foreign? Think of your typical fantasy world - lots of variety in outlooks and culture. Now a plane is that times 100. The PCs should, in every possible way, feel like strangers in a strange land. Focus on the content, and you may find the cosmology naturally evolves from it. Cheers!

reason said:
Myself, I'm exploring the subtle overlap model and having a blast:
Great job! :) I really enjoyed checking out your site! The feel of the "Farthest" is similar to the approach I'm taking to the fairy lands in my Persian game.

Remove ads