Natural armor

JonnyFive

First Post
got a quick question since i cant find it. say your running a PC with natural armor.
would an amulet of natural armor stack with the pc's natural armor or no?
thanks

Yes. Amulets of natural armor provide an enhancement bonus to Natural Armor, which is the same way the Barkskin spell works.

In effect, an amulet of natural armor +1 makes your character have the equivalent of Scales +1. ;)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Yes. Amulets of natural armor provide an enhancement bonus to Natural Armor, which is the same way the Barkskin spell works.

In effect, an amulet of natural armor +1 makes your character have the equivalent of Scales +1. ;)
Note, though, that an Amulet of Natural Armor does not stack with the Barkskin spell. ;)

JonnyFive

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

ok can you point me to where it is in the books?

mvincent

Explorer
JonnyFive said:
ok can you point me to where it is in the books?
From the rules:
"Amulet of Natural Armor: This amulet, usually crafted from bone or beast scales, toughens the wearer’s body and flesh, giving him an enhancement bonus to his natural armor bonus "

This works similar to how armor enchantments provide an enhancement bonus to armor (even though most people have a Natural armor bonus of 0). Also note: natural armor stacks with regular armor.

PrinceZane

First Post
Yeah, I remember we had the longest discussion when we first started about if natual armor stacked with AoNA... "It's still natural armor" "No, its magical natural armor" "but natural nontheless" etc... good times...

smootrk

First Post
Amulet and the Barkskin spell produce the same "enhancement" effect. That is why they do not stack. Natural Armor itself (true natural armor) is not an effect or enhancement. This is just an area where some better word choices could make a big difference in understanding.

The key words are "increases natural armor bonus" or "grants an enhancement bonus to natural armor". Really 2 different types of bonuses.

For instance, a feat may increase the (true) natural armor class of, lets say, a lizardfolk. This would stack with the effects of an amulet of natural armor that it possesses. Later, if the lizardfolk had the spell barkskin cast upon him, the effect would not stack with the amulet... only the better of the 2 effects would count.

PrinceZane

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
In 3E it didn't. In 3.5 it does.

-Hyp.

Yeah, so I found out (later)... but I didn't start playing till 3.5. Compared to (probably most of you) I'm still quite a noob (only been playing for about 2 years).

Remove ads