Amber Sands

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Welcome to Amber Sands, my first attempt at a pbp game. I hope the four of you will enjoy the story (or stories) we collectively tell here.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, the kick-off has been delayed a day. I hope to have the first "official" post up on Wednesday. In the meantime, if you don't have an ENWorld user id, please create one as it will be necessary to play the game. Registering is free. And please take the time to explore the different forums and threads here on ENWorld. In my experience, this is the most open, friendly, and helpful site on the net. There are thousands of people here who can answer any question regarding nearly any game system, as well as threads to just hang out and relax in (the Hiveminds are always big, goofy fun).

So, again, welcome to Amber Sands. Let's have some fun.

DJMG

First Post
Sorry, Monday was a holiday here in Canadaland so I'm a little behind. I should have something vague up here today.

FYI I'm off to Washington next week to give a talk. I should be able to get online once a day next week, but could very well be MIA on both weekends while I drive.

EDIT

Ughh, was thinking of playing a priest, as I've never seen that class before and it sounds cool, however the 'house rules' really seem to drain the fun out of the class, unless I'm missing something. It seems to me the priests 'strength' is he can cast any cleric spell as the need arises, without having to prepare SPECIFIC spells for the day, with the drawback being less spells than a cleric. However, if he needs to have a prayerbook, which I presume contains a subset of available cleric spells, then the advantage the priest has being able to tap into ANY spell is lost.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
DJMG said:
Sorry, Monday was a holiday here in Canadaland so I'm a little behind. I should have something vague up here today.

FYI I'm off to Washington next week to give a talk. I should be able to get online once a day next week, but could very well be MIA on both weekends while I drive.

EDIT

Ughh, was thinking of playing a priest, as I've never seen that class before and it sounds cool, however the 'house rules' really seem to drain the fun out of the class, unless I'm missing something. It seems to me the priests 'strength' is he can cast any cleric spell as the need arises, without having to prepare SPECIFIC spells for the day, with the drawback being less spells than a cleric. However, if he needs to have a prayerbook, which I presume contains a subset of available cleric spells, then the advantage the priest has being able to tap into ANY spell is lost.

Or am I missing something?

If I understand you correctly (and I probably don't because I'm up to my armpits at work), a prayerbook functions exactly like a spellbook; it contains the "prayers known" by the priest or cleric. It's a personal quirk...I've never liked how a cleric can just cast any level appropriate spell in the book. When you begin to add in other supplements, the amount of spells becomes oustandingly huge. I dunno...it's something I'd like to give a try. The number of spells in a prayerbook would be determined using the same guidelines as a wizard's spellbook, with a bonus number of spells equal to the class' relevant spell casting ability. But let me take a look at the class again and I'll holler back at ya.

Last edited:

DJMG

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
If I understand you correctly (and I probably don't because I'm up to my armpits at work), a prayerbook functions exactly like a spellbook; it contains the "prayers known" by the priest or cleric. It's a personal quirk...I've never liked how a cleric can just cast any level appropriate spell in the book. When you begin to add in other supplements, the amount of spells becomes oustandingly huge. I dunno...it's something I'd like to give a try. The number of spells in a prayerbook would be determined using the same guidelines as a wizard's spellbook, with a bonus number of spells equal to the class' relevant spell casting ability. But let me take a look at the class again and I'll holler back at ya.

I might be able to live with that - that works out to all level 0 and 6 level 1 spells (assuming CHA 16) in prayer book. As a priest I would be able to cast ANY of the 6 level 1 spells as often as I wanted upto my daily limit, without having say which spells I was 'praying for' for the day.

I still think it's a large handycap to the class, but I'm willing to give it a go!

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
DJMG said:
I might be able to live with that - that works out to all level 0 and 6 level 1 spells (assuming CHA 16) in prayer book. As a priest I would be able to cast ANY of the 6 level 1 spells as often as I wanted upto my daily limit, without having say which spells I was 'praying for' for the day.

I still think it's a large handycap to the class, but I'm willing to give it a go!

Ehh...let's just scrap it and play it as written. I became utterly disgusted with work a little while ago and stomped out ranting to take a break. I'm probably not going to have a lot of time to worry about a houserule at the moment, so let's just play as is.

One thing, though, is I don't use deities. You just choose your domains, and that is your "path". Various sects preach certain domains as the pathway to enlightenment, salvation, or just good dental hygiene (sarcasm..heh), so once you've picked your domains, we'll come up with a name for the path you've chosen.

Hopefully I'll have something ready to go tomorrow. Work and real life...ugh.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
DJMG said:
Don't worry, I won't be too large a pain once we get going. I only have 4 hp, how hard could it be to kill me off? :p

http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=30462 needs eq and a story

I took the Ransoori language assuming it's not common (I might convert some of them!) and I took Knowledge Philosophy in place of Religion.

Looks good. With his name being what it is, I assume he's not a native of the region. Perhaps a missionary of some sort? Ransoori is not common at all, as they've only recently reopened contact with the outside world.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases