Is Thread Necromancy Ok?

Do you like Thread Necromancy?

SnowleopardVK

First Post
:bookmarks the thread for ressurection midway through 2009:

It came a little late, but you pretty much got it...

I'd say case by case (or thread by thread as it is) basis. In most cases if a thread's long-dead enough I'll just start my own new one. If there was something really important in the old one I'd still more likely resort to linking the new one to it than reviving the old one. But despite that, necromancies can happen in some cases.

As there has been a recent spate of people complaining about thread necromancy, I thought it would be a good idea to raise an old thread about thread necromancy, in order to complain about the people complaining about thread necromancy.

Thread necromancy is not against the rules of the forum. Further, posting in an old thread that has been raised only to complain about thread necromancy keeps it at the top of the forum, without adding anything of value to the thread. So I have to ask, what is the motivation behind complaining about thread necromancy in an old thread that has been raised?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As there has been a recent spate of people complaining about thread necromancy, I thought it would be a good idea to raise an old thread about thread necromancy, in order to complain about the people complaining about thread necromancy.

*checks site rules*

Well, there's nothing in the code of conduct that says I can ban someone for being too meta. I'll let it stand.

:p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Interestingly, this thread has been raised from the dead *twice* - it started in 2005, was raised in 2011, and then again today.

Which makes me wonder if this is a case of necromancy at all. It may instead be a cicada-meme.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Which makes me wonder if this is a case of necromancy at all. It may instead be a cicada-meme.
Or one stage in the life cycle of some other electronic 'organism'.

...maybe National Geographic would fund a study...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If a thread is necroed and it new conversation happens because of it the new conversation has a clearer context ... all is good.

CapnZapp

Legend
This is the good stuff.

Though I see the thread was previously resurrected in 2011, which detracts slightly from your achievement

Seriously though, SOME forums consider thread necromancy an infractionable offense, so I'm not surprised to see a forumist instinctively complain about the practice.

(Notably GITP, another significant D&D site)

Last edited:

Remove ads