Questions about Iron Heroes?

Aldarc

Legend
I don't know all the answers (and truth to be told, I'm probably not going to try), but I do know that people have some questions about the rules of Iron Heroes. So this thread is devoted to gather questions and having other boarders try to answer questions to the best of their abilities.

EricNoah

Adventurer
This would be more for playtesters... what kinds of monsters/situations did you throw IH characters up against? Anything from D&D that totally wiped them out due to lack of the right kind of rock-paper-scissors protection?

Any suggestions for streamlining running NPCs who have token pools? I'm thinking about just giving them "times per combat" abilities instead of tokens.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
EricNoah said:
Any suggestions for streamlining running NPCs who have token pools? I'm thinking about just giving them "times per combat" abilities instead of tokens.

Yeah, I'm thinking that some general streamlining strategies are needed. All the combat options, tokens, etc. are great for players - but when you're running a group of 6 high level NPC opponents it could start to bog things down.

I'm actually thinking of dropping an NPC group of IH characters into my regular D&D game to give the rules a quick whirl. Have to convert a little, but the cool thing is that the NPCs will be doing weird stuff that the players don't understand. However, tracking tokens for them all seems a little intimidating!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm curious about how people manage token pools.

* What is the maximum number of token pools a PC could have, taking class and feats into account?

* Do you record them on paper or have actual little tokens

* If actual tokens, what do you use? How do you differentiate rage/dodge/parry/etc tokens - different colour tokens or different piles? (e.g. generic tokens and a sheet of paper with a big circle for each token pool. Put the tokens in the appropriate pool).

* If actual tokens, how much table space does it take up :)

I'm basically curious about how the mechanics work out in terms of real world requirements.

Cheers

Staffan

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
I'm curious about how people manage token pools.

* What is the maximum number of token pools a PC could have, taking class and feats into account?
There's a list of token pools in the book. It has: Aim, Armor, Cleave, Deception, Dodge, Execution, Fury, Lore, Manipulation, Parry, Popularity, Strategy, Stun, Tactical, Venom and Weapon pools. However, I think the number of characters who get access to all 16 pools will be small, to say the least. Six (Aim, Armor, Execution, Fury, Tactical, and Weapon) are gained from classes, and the rest are gained by feats (though one, Fury, can be gained both from a class (Berserker) and a feat (Cleave 6)).

* Do you record them on paper or have actual little tokens

* If actual tokens, what do you use? How do you differentiate rage/dodge/parry/etc tokens - different colour tokens or different piles? (e.g. generic tokens and a sheet of paper with a big circle for each token pool. Put the tokens in the appropriate pool).
When I get started playing IH, I'll use large-ish glass beads. I have a whole bunch that I got when I was about to start playing Exalted, that I was planning to use as markers for Essence for the PCs. They'll work just as well as tokens. I might buy a couple of others in different colors for those who use more than one pool - but I have a hard time seeing any one PC having more than three or four pools going at one time.

Renshai

First Post
I too am intimidated by running a combat with NPCs that are using token pools. It seems like alot to keep track of.

Also, does anyone know if Mastery Levels stack when Multiclassing?

Thanks,
Ren

A'koss

Explorer
Renshai said:
I too am intimidated by running a combat with NPCs that are using token pools. It seems like alot to keep track of.
In the DM and Monster books there are supposed to NPC and "Villian" classes that are simple for the DM to build and run (I assume no class-based tokens). There was already some talk of a generic "Warrior" class somewhere in the Mastering IH book. I certainly wouldn't want to run a whole NPC party of token gathering classes, but who knows... once it becomes more second nature to us it might be okay to deal with.

Also, does anyone know if Mastery Levels stack when Multiclassing?
It doesn't say one way or another, but I think there should be some penalty (similar to BDB) if you have two indentical primary masteries.

Felon

First Post
The harriers has the following ability:

Superior Running Assault: From 17th level forward, you
can use your running assault ability to spread your attacks
over several spaces. As a full-round action, you can use a full
attack action while moving your full speed. If you gain multiple
attacks, such as through the rapid assault ability, you can
resolve each attack at different times along your movement.
For instance, you can move two squares, attack, move three
more squares, and attack again. Normally you would have to
resolve both attacks together.

OK, so the harrier gets a full-round of attacks while moving, but why the reference to the rapid assault ability, which the harrier only gets when attacking as part of a standard action?

Last edited:

Kaos

First Post
Felon said:
OK, so the harrier gets a full-round of attacks while moving, but why the reference to the rapid assault ability, which the harrier only gets when attacking as part of a standard action?

As far as I can tell, this is sort of an upgrade/replacement to that ability.

Driddle

First Post
My copy of IH came with a free bonus token. It's kind of sticky and greenish, and I can't seem to scrape the entire token off the cover of the book. But my gameshop owner says it's very collectible.

Remove ads