Questions about Iron Heroes?

Menexenus

First Post
I notice that the Book of Iron Might and the Iron Heroes are both written by Mike Mearls. I do not own either book, but they sound rather similar. If I buy Iron Heroes, would there be any point in buying the Book of Iron Might?

Thanks in advance.

Ozmar

First Post
Menexenus said:
I notice that the Book of Iron Might and the Iron Heroes are both written by Mike Mearls. I do not own either book, but they sound rather similar. If I buy Iron Heroes, would there be any point in buying the Book of Iron Might?

Thanks in advance.

I have the Book of Iron Might and do not yet have Iron Heroes, so I don't know if I am fully qualified to answer, but talk is cheap, soo...

The Book of Iron Might has:
  • Combat Maneuvers - These seem very similar to rules for stunts and expanded skill use in Iron Heroes, or at least, similar concepts. You can probably use either in a d20 game.
  • The Ironborn - This is a race of customizable warforged. They seem to be more well-balanced than warforged for the standard d20 power curve, and are very customizable. There is nothing like this in Iron Heroes.
  • Arcane Battle Feats - These are feats combining some arcane magic with combat feats. Neat concept and not like anything in Iron Heroes. They basically make spellcasters better fighters. They could probably be used in Iron Heroes to beef up the arcanist, but I haven't read Iron Heroes yet and don't know how compatible (or necessary) they are.
  • Battlemind Feats - These are unique feats not like anything in Iron Heroes. They are pretty nifty and can only be used infrequently. Probably useful in Iron Heroes.
  • Fighting Style Feats - These are not like anything in Iron Heroes. You gain additional abilities according to your fighting style with weapons. Probably useful in Iron Heroes.
  • Skills and Stunts - Like combat maneuvers, these seem very similar to rules for stunts and expanded skill use in Iron Heroes, or at least, similar concepts. You can probably use either in a d20 game.

Gotta run!

Ozmar the Harried

Kunimatyu

First Post
Menexenus said:

Thanks in advance.

No.

Iron Might is the precursor to Iron Heroes, and its mechanics are nowhere near as good re: stunts, combat challenges, expanded skills, etc etc. However, if you just want to add some neat combat feats to your D&D game, you could do worse.

Iron Heroes is the better product, though.

Iron Might's stunt system is more complex/robust and has both the benefits and disadvantages of that comparison.

Many of its feats would work very well in Iron Heroes. I am suspicious that some of them might be overpowered when combined with Iron Heroes style mastery feats, but I do see that they would mostly plug up holes in the spread.

The arcane feats would be a cool thing to give villains in an Iron Heroes setting.

A'koss

Explorer
I'm a little fuzzy on how Knowledge ranks work. The text seems to suggest that your 1st level skill points invested go into a single field, with subsequent increases adding a new field for each point.

Sooo, say I want to invest 4 skill points into Knowledge at 1st level. I just pick one field of expertise right? Not 4 different fields (1 for each skill point)... And at level 2, I can invest another point and pick a second field at which point I'm considered to have 5 ranks in both fields.

Does that sound right?

Kaos

First Post
A'koss said:
I'm a little fuzzy on how Knowledge ranks work. The text seems to suggest that your 1st level skill points invested go into a single field, with subsequent increases adding a new field for each point.

Sooo, say I want to invest 4 skill points into Knowledge at 1st level. I just pick one field of expertise right? Not 4 different fields (1 for each skill point)... And at level 2, I can invest another point and pick a second field at which point I'm considered to have 5 ranks in both fields.

Does that sound right?

AIUI it's like the Perform feat - where it's spelled out a bit more clear.
You spend 4 points into Knowledge, and pick a field.
At second level, you can spend a fifth point to increase your rank, or to add another field. If you add another field, the point does not increase your rank. (However, since you're still under the max-ranks you could spend a second point and increase the rank as well.)
Your rank works for all fields that you've chose.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Generating Ability Scores:

Am I missing a section that covers randomly generating ability scores? Step 2 on p. 11 discusses assigning points (which matches p. 17) but then Step 3 on p. 11 reads:

"This step often takes place after you roll the dice in Step 2 . . . "

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Just to repeat my question in the other thread

any thoughts on using the skill and combat challenges and skill group rules in a standard D&D/D20 game?

and to add: what sort of complications would people anticipate?

Remove ads