[GRIM TALES] Wulf Ratbane's SLAVELORDS of CYDONIA

solomoncane

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Hey, don't sell yourself short. Shoot for Moses and you still get muddy feet. Shoot for Jesus, man. Now that's a smooth crossing.

OOC: I should have known better. I'm as embarrassed as Peter was when he lost faith and got dunked. :eek:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
solomoncane said:
OOC: Would it be possible to take 10 (using the rope) while leading the horse?

No, you can't hold the rope and the reins at the same time.

Neither can you Ride the horse and hold the rope crossing at the same time, as it would put too much strain on the rope.

It will take a slightly higher DC to "Handle Animal" to get the horse crossing without you-- but once the horse is in the water, he's more likely to cross than to turn back. Your Handle Animal check overcomes the horse's reticence to cross and ensures that he understands your intent, in one check.

Horses aren't stupid-- he'll cross if you get him started. Assuming he doesn't flat out refuse.

Or you can just Ride the horse across.

solomoncane

First Post
"Well, if the cowboy-scribe can do it," says Hambrick, "then this old horse-scout will give it try--if the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise. Besides, it would be better to have a couple of us riders on each side before the others cross."

Hambrick coaxes his horse into the river on the upsteam side of the rope and attempts to cross.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
OOC: Well seeing how I have no ranks in Swim and cannot take 10, I guess I will just try and Ride across and hope for the best. As always, Wulf, just roll for me.

With a snap and a slight spurring, Bill rides across! "Yah!"

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
solomoncane said:
Hambrick coaxes his horse into the river on the upsteam side of the rope and attempts to cross.

Please be more specific-- are you riding, swimming, what?

If you have access to the dice server, send me the rolls, and tell me in the subject line what the rolls are for.

If you don't have access, I will roll-- but I do need to know how you are trying to cross.

Hjorimir said:
OOC: Well seeing how I have no ranks in Swim and cannot take 10, I guess I will just try and Ride across and hope for the best. As always, Wulf, just roll for me.

With a snap and a slight spurring, Bill rides across! "Yah!"

Bill's horse leapt like the devil himself had jabbed his pitchfork into his flanks, and was halfway across the river before Bill even realized it. When the horse bolted out of the water on the far side, Bill rolled backwards out of the saddle and landed uncomfortably on the muddy riverbank.

[Horse rolled a 19, Bill rolled a 5.]

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
solomoncane said:
Hambrick is Riding the horse across the river. Please, roll for me.

Hambrick spurred his horse forward into the river.

Halfway across the river, the horse whinnied loudly, but swam on with increased vigor and emerged forthwith on the opposite bank, nickering nervously.

solomoncane

First Post
"Easy, fella', " Hambrick says, calming his horse, "I didn't want to cross here either, but we're here to serve." With a wry grin he says to the others, "If anyone wants to be baptised properly, I'd suggest another patch of river."

ragboy

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Rawley gave a tug on the rope and it snapped taut. It was just long enough to reach, but only if they secured it to the banks with tent spikes. Even with both coils of rope tied together, there was no way it would reach to the trees on either side.

The knotted rope bobbed in the center of the river, cutting a V into the current.

OOC: Is it possible for the horse to stand in the water? Or is the bank too deep here? If so, I'll stand Brindle in the water (still mounted) and tie the end of the rope to the saddle horn. Also, if it's possible for the horse to stand here, we can leave the tail end of the rope loose, since the swimmers can be dragged across if they get into trouble and we can retrieve the rope(s).

Remove ads