[CnC] Adventure Conversion

Baumi

Adventurer
HiHo!

I will GM a small Adventure from Dungeon Crawl Classics today but I reviewed a few Monsters in there and many Monster have a much higher Attack-Bonus than they have Hit-Dice (8HD Monster with +15 Attack).

Thats ok for DnD but CnC normaly has the rule that HD=Attackbonus because Monsters do not have Attributes. So should I use the DnD Version without Change or use it's HD instead?

THX & ...

Turanil

First Post
Baumi said:
HiHo!

I will GM a small Adventure from Dungeon Crawl Classics today but I reviewed a few Monsters in there and many Monster have a much higher Attack-Bonus than they have Hit-Dice (8HD Monster with +15 Attack).

Thats ok for DnD but CnC normaly has the rule that HD=Attackbonus because Monsters do not have Attributes. So should I use the DnD Version without Change or use it's HD instead?

THX & ...
The same PC of same class and level is weaker in C&C than in D&D. So take it into account when running C&C with a D&D adventure. I have run a 5th-8th level D&D adventure with 10th-11th level C&C PCs... Otherwise, I personally don't mind using the monsters' to-hit using D&D rules BUT with C&C ability score modifiers. In any case, if you want to b purist, yes, it's BtH = creature's HD.

radferth

First Post
In C&C, the monster's attack bonus for hit dice is assumed to include the (unlisted) strength of the monster, as is the damage. This is not the case for D&D, so strong monsters often have very high attack and damage bonuses. Of course, very few C&C monsters have any con bonus to HP, while many D&D creatures do. As was said earlier, and character or creature with X HD in C&C will have much lower bonuses and HP than an X HD creature in D&D. This does seem relatively proportional, so if you want to run a 7th-9th level D&D adventure with 7th-9th level C&C characters, then convert the D&D creatures to C&C creatures with equal HD. If you want to run the monsters with the listed to hit, damage, and HP, then you will need to run it with higher level C&C characters. I would suggest the former, as C&C stats are designed to be easy to improvise.

Mythmere1

First Post
I would experiment while running it. I've been working on some monster lists for different level parties, and there are some odd results. Mainly the oddities come from saving throws, which are hard in C&C. My sense is that using HD as the bonus will work better - I'd try that for the first encounter and see if it ends up too easy.

Remove ads