Prehistoric Monsters!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Here is an Andrewsarchus that I drew up after watching the "Walking With Beasts" special that was on the Discovery Channel.:) Those running any campaign should find it an interesting addition, especially those with an Ice Age area, or campaign theme. In my own campaign, I have packs of these things prowling the wilderness. In some areas, I have Ogres, Minotaurs, or Giants that have domesticated some of them as mounts. There are rumours to be of some even that have been armoured in barding for war...:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Andrewsarchus

Size: Huge
Creature Type: Animal
Hit Dice: 16d10 +80 ( 168 hit points)
Initiative: +2 (From Dex bonus)
Speed: 60 feet
Armor Class: 16 ( +6 natural armor; -2 due to size; +2 from dex )
Attacks: (1) Bite; +20 melee attack. And Crushing Jaws, and Swallow Whole. Or Trample; +20 melee attack. And Frightful Presence.
Damage: Bite 4d6+15/Trample 4d6+15
Face/Reach: 10 ft by 20 ft/10 ft.
Special Attacks: Crushing Jaws (Ex) Swallow Whole (Ex), Frightful Presence (Ex)
Special Qualities: Fast Healing 10 (Ex) Scent (Ex) Low-light vision; darkvision to 60 feet range.
Saving Throws: Fort +17/Ref +14/Will +4
Abilities: Str 30 Dex 15 Con 21 Int 6 Wis 14 Cha 8
Skills: Balance +6 (Dex) Hide +5*/+8 in foliage (Dex) Jump +10 (Str) Listen +12 (Wis) Move Silently +6(Dex) Search +8 (Int) Spot +12 (Wis) Swim +10 (Str)
Feats: None
Climate/Terrain: Any/Plains, Forest, Hill, Marsh
Organization: (1) Solitary; or (2-5) Family
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement Range: Gargantuan (16d10-32d10)

Description:

Andrewsarchus are huge, wolf-like creatures, larger than a rhino, with hooves, somewhat like a boar’s. Distantly related to Basilosaurus, a large, prehistoric whale, and hoofed animals, Andrewsarchus is a ferocious predator. Weighing more than 4000-lbs, standing six feet or more at the shoulder, and 16 feet long, or more, in length, Andrewsarchus is likely to be an Apex-predator in it’s area.

With terrible, crushing jaws, Andrewsarchus can bite through nearly anything. The creature has thick, coarse fur, like a cross between a boar’s, and a panther’s. It’s fur coloration—a blend of russet, golds, blacks, and whites, allows it to hide well in the forests and scrub that are often it’s home. The creature lives in small families that live and hunt together. Sometimes, adult males will leave the family to travel solitary, in search of a mate to start a family with.

The solitary male will approach a family, and seek out a sexually mature female. The male Andrewsarchus will challenge any nearby competitors, and the two creatures will snarl and stare at each other. With each seeking the advantage, the weaker one will often look away in defeat, and leave the area swiftly. At other times, however, the two males will run towards each other, and slam into each other, growling and snarling, and staring at each other, with their ears laid back. The intensity of the contest can sometimes peak, with the defeated leaving slowly. If pressed, the conflict will explode into a terrible struggle of savage bites, as the creatures fight to the death. Fortunately, most Andrewsarchus’s contests’ for females and territory-rights will end with less lethal results, but serious injuries and death can occur.

Andrewsarchus are highly aggressive predators, and will seek to eat nearly anything that they can catch. Hiding where possible, the Andrewsarchus’s hide-coloration, and their stealthy movement, allows them to burst from forest or field cover, thus surprising their intended prey, as they charge to the attack! Andrewsarchus’s huge size, and awesome jaws allow it to fight and kill almost any creature smaller than it. And, since there are few creatures larger than it, it isn’t even intimidated by the few creatures that happen to be larger than Andrewsarchus.
Andrewsarchus, as a huge, ferocious predator, has a Frightful Presence (Ex) that unnerves humans, or other humanoids that encounter Andrewsarchus. The massive shoulders, the long, broad snout, filled with huge, terrible teeth, and a massive, powerful body propelling the savage Andrewsarchus forward into a heart-stopping charge, represents a challenge that few can answer. The creature is easily six feet tall at the shoulder, sixteen feet long, or more, and it’s massive, powerful body weighs more than 4000-lbs, easily.

Andrewsarchus’ meat is dense, and flavourful, if cooked with the right spices. It’s fur can be skinned, and used for a fine rug, robe, or if worked properly, formed into fine hide armour. Many tribes of humans and humanoids alike, have rich mythologies and legends about the great Andrewsarchus. In some barbarian tribes, the creature is seen as a fertility symbol. In some cultures, Andrewsarchus is seen as a spirit of the wild, or a symbol of a nature or war god. In some areas, there are rumours of a few courageous tribes of humans and humanoids, that have raised, and trained Andrewsarchus’ as mounts, and war-beasts. Fancy as that may sound, it seems at least possible for the larger humanoids and giants to have done so. Aside from these rumours though, the Andrewsarchus remains a great and terrible beast of the wilderness.

Special Attacks: Crushing Jaws (Ex) This property allows the Andrewsarchus to bite with such savage force and power, that the Andrewsarchus delivers a critical bite on a score of 15-20. When biting into it’s target, the critical bite inflicts a x3 damage.

Swallow Whole (Ex) – As per the Monster Manual.

Frightful Presence (Ex) –As per the Monster Manual.

Extraordinary Abilities: Fast Healing 10 (Ex); Andrewsarchus possesses an incredibly durable metabolism, and because of this, it’s voracious diet, and rugged and varied environment, the Andrewsarchus heals all damage inflicted against it at a rate of 10 hit points per standard healing rates;

Scent (Ex) – As per the Monster Manual. Andrewsarchus is a wary, cunning creature, and is capable of tracking it’s prey over some considerable distances.

There is some rumour that tells how in old, dark forests, or in wild, desolate marshlands and waterways near rivers, lakes, and ocean-beaches, a strain of Andrewsarchus that is Lawful Evil in alignment, and more intelligent. These creatures serve evil powers, powerful necromancers, or the most powerful of evil champions. Family groups of these evil, savage Andrewsarchus are said to gleefully attack and prey upon any Humans they encounter, and even more so any Halflings or Elves that they encounter. There are rumours of whole sea-side Halfling communities being set upon by several groups of Andrewsarchus, sweeping the little Halflings along into a frenzy of blood and terror. Then again, these may be just wild imaginings of travelers from afar.

Limper

First Post
As I'd expect, looks good SHARK. I do wish I had cable... I'm guessing this is a follow up to Walking with Dinos correct? I just got to watch that one on DVD... good show.

Not that the post still exists but I'm still working from your advice for what you do to simulate previous life experience (military service etc.). The notes keep growing and changing... but before long I'll post em, just like I said I would.

reapersaurus

First Post
from a brief glance, this animal has the same problem I've commonly seen:
too high of CR for it's abilities.

But it's a real neat beast and seems well-thought out otherwise.
(I don;t see where it gets the Fast Healing 10 from, tho)

BMF

First Post
Fast healing 10 is a pretty serious bonus. Vampires only have fast healing 5. You might want to tone that down a little.

mmadsen

First Post
Special Qualities: Fast Healing 10 (Ex) Scent (Ex) Low-light vision; darkvision to 60 feet range.

Fast Healing? Darkvision?

Abilities: Str 30 Dex 15 Con 21 Int 6 Wis 14 Cha 8

Dex 15? Int 6? Cha 8? By comparision, a Boar has Dex 10, Int 2, and Cha 4. Heck, even an elephant only has Int 2 -- but it does have Cha 7, so I guess Cha 8 isn't out of line. Of course, I think elephants, boars, and porpoises should have higher Int than many other animals.

kibbitz

First Post
???

Nice as always, though I'll be darned if i understand it stats-wise (yeah, i'm still in a rut). But Andrewsarchus? I'd definitely rename it if I were to use it. Mind explaining the name for me?

Because that's the real name of the creature he's statting?!?...

He didn't make this up, it's a real fossil.

And it's hardly a worse name than Utahraptor for a D&D creature.

Last edited:

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Hello everyone! Mmadsen, and Joshua, I hope you like it! Yep, in the show it seemed like the creature was considerably quick, and it possessed a sure cunning in its life and in hunting. Fast Healing was decided on from a combination of factors, of the creature being some strange mixture of genes, supremely huge, and possessing a seemingly unique, ferocious and predatory nature. I can imagine the creature gobbling down sharp bones and such as it crushes them in its jaws and swallows. Its stomach is probably very rugged. Then I imagined the creature being absolutely fearless, and attacking anything. This predilection towards combat would ennure the animal to lots of combat and bloodletting. This would seem to encourage rapid healing as the beast is frequently being scraped, bitten, and chewed on. From these factors, it can also be imagined that the creature would be infected from parasites and diseases, and yet, it's metabolism would be ablt to resist even the harshest of infections and diseases.

And, well, such a magnificent creature, in existing in a magical world, may well be effected by the magical environment and be blessed by the gods of nature with an element of supernatural strength and power. Thus, Fast Healing 10 seems cool to me.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Hello yourself, SHARK!

Yes, I do like it. As is not unusual, your creatures are a bit on the powerful side for me to use in my campaign, but I can mine it for ideas relative to my power scale.

Thanks for taking this step! In at least three separate threads I've asked for stats for prehistoric animals, and this is the first I've seen. I thought someone would have done it already, but it looks like I might have to look over the animals, dire animals and beasts and benchmark them to create my own stuff...

Remove ads