Bard 1 Ranger 2
Bard 1 Ranger 3
Bard 2 Ranger 3

Favored Enemy +2
Track
Wild Empathy
Two-Weapon Fighting (combat style)
Endurance
Inspire Courage (+ some other bardic stuff)

+4 BAB
+3 Base Fort
+6 Base Ref
+3 Base Will

35 (+5xInt Mod.) Bard skill points
21 (+3xInt Mod.) Ranger skill points

3 Extra feats

Ability to take Cure Light Wounds (and use a wand of such)

Thanee

First Post
moritheil said:
Personally, in my heart of hearts, going for high saves would not only entail going for Mettle, but also picking up Evasion.

There's the ring, that grants Evasion... for later at least. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Sledge said:
First off, the core DD is underpowered. I've done the math and it is basically 2 or so levels behind by 10th. That said, it has coolness. The thing to do with those stats is to throw an 18 into str and con, and the 15 into cha for the sorceror/bard level. Dex doesn't need to be high, because you really don't need the spells so ASF is irrelevant.
Are you so very sure about that? Have you noted the strength increases as compared to BAB reduction? Have you checked the rules on secondary natural attacks recently?

DD definitely has potential for a combat class.

pbd

First Post
Monk/Sorc/DD

I like this idea.

Stat:

STR 18
DEX 18
Con 15+1
Int 10
Wis 13
CHA 12

take monk 6/Sorc 1 (This way, with a mok's belt you get 2 extra flurry attacks at no penalty, for d10 damage) then start on DD. take shield and true strike for the sorc spells, try to get a rod of extend spell if you can, that way your true strike will last 2 rounds.

On a full atatck you will have a huge amount of attacks: flurry (normal +2 extra attacks), then 2 claws, then bite. WIth true strike, you will do outrageous damage.

With the natural armor from the DD, you can end up with a good AC, not to mention lots of HP.

I have built a DD before that played up the very nice bonuses to strength that the class gives. Barbarian X\Sorc 2\DD X, putting as much into Str and possible, and only a 13 Cha. I gave him a two handed reach weapon (he still threatens at 5 ft with his natural weapon), Improved Trip, Power Attack, and Improved Bull Rush. He had great battlefield control, good hit points, and could match the other tanks in terms of damage output with no difficulty at all. His AC was on the weak side, though. If you want, I could post the build more completely sometime when I'm not at work.

Sledge

First Post
Yes I am sure it is underpowered. Not unplayable but still underpowered. The only things that keep it viable are the HD and the flight. Great flavour though. IMC I changed it to simply give a couple of caster levels instead of bonus spells.

RaVan

First Post
Tank you say? Forget the DD and go Half-Dragon/Barb, Fighter, or Ranger. It's Core (MM) and WAY better in a fight with the increased STR and CON. Other bonuses, NAT Armor +4... jeez +4!!!... and a breath weapon that can actually come in handy on occasion.

House rule bonus ideas- Since there are only three in our party and the DM enjoys in-game ideas that would look really cool, have the party Magic User cast Enlarge Person and watch them sprout wings Muahahaha!

Negatives- Level Adjustment +3
Outweighed by the fact that, IT'S WORTH IT! +8 STR, Come on!

~Rav

Last edited:

Sledge said:
Yes I am sure it is underpowered. Not unplayable but still underpowered. The only things that keep it viable are the HD and the flight. Great flavour though. IMC I changed it to simply give a couple of caster levels instead of bonus spells.
See, it doesn't sound to me like you HAVE done the math. So why don't you tell us what specific math you've done in this case. ;)

Thanee

First Post
RaVan said:
Tank you say? Forget the DD and go Half-Dragon/Barb, Fighter, or Ranger. It's Core (MM) and WAY better in a fight with the increased STR and CON.

At 10th level the DD gets full Half-Dragon benefits... without the LA. At least, I think so. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads