I got hired in June; is it rude to look at greener pastures?

I like my current job. I think I have a good chance of being able to stay there for years, perhaps get a better position, live a comfortable life as a librarian after a bit of distance learning education.

But the same University has posted an opening that is the same as my current job, except it's full time instead of 20 hours a week. Now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be hired because the folks at one library would not want to be rude to the other, but on the off chance I did get hired, how bad would that be?

Should I apply for this new job? Will it annoy my current boss if she finds out she has spent 2 months training me and I'm already looking to move on?

Bront

The man with the probe
If it's a serious career move (and usually, full time is), then go for it, and if it makes you feel better, you can tell your boss.

If you're looking for full time, there is no reason for you to accept anything less. Perhaps if you let it be known that you want to be full time, perhaps you can get them to offer you that in your current job.

Krug

Newshound
I don't see why not. Come on, it's a full time position. Why would she be surprised? Tell her you have loans and expenses to pay. Maybe she can talk to HR about giving you a FT position if she wants to keep you around.

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
I don't think people would be too upset by someone wanting to move to a full time position, after all you've not got another income (apart from writing which isn't that huge) and the financial security is useful.

Belen

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
I like my current job. I think I have a good chance of being able to stay there for years, perhaps get a better position, live a comfortable life as a librarian after a bit of distance learning education.

But the same University has posted an opening that is the same as my current job, except it's full time instead of 20 hours a week. Now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be hired because the folks at one library would not want to be rude to the other, but on the off chance I did get hired, how bad would that be?

Should I apply for this new job? Will it annoy my current boss if she finds out she has spent 2 months training me and I'm already looking to move on?

If you were in a full-time position, then I would say "yes." However, 20 hours a week does not pay the bills. Besides, if you are transferring to a different department or library, the State sees it as a promotion within the system.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In the end, you have to do what is best for you. I don't think anyone can claim legitimate right to be upset that you're trying to find full-time work.

der_kluge

Adventurer
It's easier to look for a new job when you already have a job.

The only risk that you face is that if you do it too frequently, people will start to question why you change jobs all the time.

I start a new job on the 15th... :)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
20 hours does not pay the bills. The big question is, do you have health insurance now and if not, would you get it at the new job? The smaller question is, will the current job eventually go to full time?

Here's something else to toss out: you could always start your own buisness doing layout and editing for d20 companies. That could generate some extra cash. There are very, very few people who do stat block editing. You'd bring a lot to the table. I'm not looking right now, but I'll drop you a PM on the topic.

Whatever you decide, never tell your old boss you are going to a new company until you have the offer letter in hand. Never, ever. I don't care if your boss is the nicest person in the world and has a grandmother in a coma. Never tell your old boss you are looking. Frankly, in this particular case, you're going to burn a bridge if you jump ship. If it were me, I'd wait until the day I started the new job before I told my old boss I was quitting. I actually did this once when I was waiting tables at a bar. My old boss was a little pissed but asked if I could work a few extra nights. I said no problem. We didn't part on good terms, but he didn't have the bouncer kick the crap out of me either (oh, the joys of the service industry).

Good luck.

Arnwyn

First Post
Bront said:
If you're looking for full time, there is no reason for you to accept anything less. Perhaps if you let it be known that you want to be full time, perhaps you can get them to offer you that in your current job.
Exactly so. Quoted for emphasis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases