I must live in the worst power grid in the world

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, this weekend a vicious storm rolled through. We were in town, and when we got back home, my monitor was on, but nothing was coming on. I usually always just leave my computer on. I played with it for a bit, but couldn't figure it out. I hooked up the monitor to my work laptop and it came out, just fine, so I decided it might have been the video card. After going to the storage unit to find one, I put it in, and now the fan on the CPU doesn't even come on, suggesting more than just a video card problem, it's probably the motherboard.

Again.

This year I have replaced a hard drive, a printer, and a motherboard. And now, at a minimum, it's probably another motherboard.

And yes, I have a battery backup/surge protector. Apparently, it did no good. It's supposed to be one of those that cover the replacement of any damaged hardware, but I never sent off any paperwork for it, or anything, so I doubt they would cover anything. I was going to try to locate some paperwork on it this week to see what it says. But we'll take it to the computer store and get a new m/b for it tonight.

I told my wife that I was tempted to just claim the renter's insurance deductible on it and build me some huge computer. I don't know if I want to do that, though.

So very frustrating.

I must live in the worst power grid in the world

So, you live in Zimbabwe then?

How about southern Iraq?

Tibet perhaps?

Papua New Guinea?

Peru then?

Face it, America has a pretty good power grid. It's good enough we complain when it doesn't work right. Lots of places are lucky if the power even WORKS.

But, yeah, some places have a lot of problems providing the constant current modern sensitive eletronics need.

This is often in rural areas where electrical power was orginally laid down by the rural electrification projects of the 30's and 40's where the idea was just to bring the juice. Some of those old bits are still in the system & can wreck havoc on sensitive eletronics.

Talk to your neighbors & others nearby. You might be able to find a pattern. A nearby transformer might be the source of all your frustration & you can maybe nag the electric company to look into it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases