Who wants to be a Wayfinder?

Jarval

Explorer
[Very interesting stuff from everyone. I particularly like your person-by-person breakdown of Boromar's opinions Ozmar. I'll have to do something similar for Glaw.

On which note, it's going to be tomorrow evening before I have any background up for Glaw. Much of today's computing time got taken up with me backing up data after a slight scare about my PCs health...

Verbatim said:
Jarvel: [sblock]Good to see you back on the boards. Wish you were with us in Lamentation still. Perhaps later?[/sblock]
Verbatim: [sblock]Thanks, it's good to be back. Lamentation was one of the games I was sorriest to have to drop out, but I think I've been away a bit too long to drop back into the party. Still, if the group needs more players and/or alternates at any point, let me know. I'd love to get back into the game.[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
I updated the front page with the list of thsoe interested (if I missed anyone, let me know).

I WILL be running two groups, how it will be done will be decided after GenCon (but the characters chosen and the groups you are in will be chosen before GenCon).

I was thinking of the two groups being rivals of some sorts. Maybe two groups of friends who both heard a rumor of an unexplored location. Any suggestions would be helpful (on how to run it, not the groups right now :)).

Karl Green

First Post
Well I have been debating joining another group for a while, and this does look pretty interesting. I am thinking about maybe a Half-Elf Warmage or something. I will put him together tonight

jkason

First Post
Mista Collins said:
I updated the front page with the list of thsoe interested (if I missed anyone, let me know).

I WILL be running two groups, how it will be done will be decided after GenCon (but the characters chosen and the groups you are in will be chosen before GenCon).

I was thinking of the two groups being rivals of some sorts. Maybe two groups of friends who both heard a rumor of an unexplored location. Any suggestions would be helpful (on how to run it, not the groups right now :)).

You could do something akin to a scavenger hunt, where there are X special items (perhaps pieces of a single artifact) out there and someone's paying to have adventurers recover them.

This could always play into the Wayfinder element. Perhaps the Wayfinders themselves are sponsoring the hunt. Given the multiple choices, it tests planning and resourcefulness as much as raw strength of combat. For that matter, the Wayfinders may find it a test of resolve; just pushing through to attempt to complete the tasks shows them how much a potential recruit wants to join?

These are recent grads of the University, as well. Perhaps, in a bid to increase the prestige of the University and / or encourage more cooperation between the lands (they have just declared peace after years of war, haven't they?), the university has offered its students some sort of incentive for going to far off places and recruiting by example. The students make individual names for themselves while the University makes its own name.

Both of those are vague, obviously, but especially if there are two intermixing groups, I like the idea of multiple simultaneous angles to hit on. If the characters pick similar avenues at the same time, they cross paths. Or they may wind up intentionally or unintentionally beating each other to the punch. Or it might be that they never meet up until its all over. If there are multiple paths available (rather than a single item / site they're after) there's an air of uncertainty to it all. You don't know if the "other team" has already been there, nor do you know how successful they may or may not have been.

jason

Verbatim

Explorer
Sorry for the delay on getting the character posted, but I had to wing it inbetween shifts. If someone could review this for me to let me know if I missed/did anything wrong I would appreciate it.

Patruk Sivid
Male Human Necromancer 1

Medium, 6’2, 190 wt, 22 yrs old
Black hair, Blue eyes, Tanned skin

Languages Known: Common, Draconic, Gnomish, Dwarvish

Equipment:
Backpack
**3 sunrods
**spellbook (class bonus)
**Explorer outfit (free)
**waterskin
**trail rations (4 days)
**scrollcase
**Blank travel journal
**3 vials of ink
**1 inkpen
Spell component pouch
Quarterstaff
Light crossbow w/20 bolts
Daggers (2)

Remaining Funds: 24gp, 9 sp

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Bront said:
Keep in mind, those are the truely organized traditions, there are druidic traditions that are not any of those on Eberron as well, those are just specific traditions founded on a particular cause. There are actualy feats that you can take for each tradition to give you a few extra perks (The ashbound being one of the more powerful ones with a +3 luck bonus to attack to all summon nature's ally summons).

That's good. i was wondering if choosing a tradition was a requirement in Eberron or not. I'm leaning toward casting Midian as more or less a druidic free agent. It works pretty well with his inclusionist personality. The idea of exclusive orders would probably strike him a lot like the restrictions put on who can become a paladin, and he's obviously had negative experiences with that.

I've also been trying to find what I can about Eberron online, and I get the sense it's a world built around allegiences, with the national treaties and Dragonmark Houses and the like. It might provide some interesting role playing opportunities (and potential plot hooks, for that matter) to throw a character in the mix whose primary modes of allegience (family and class) provide extremely limited support.

jason

Bront

The man with the probe
Ozmar said:
What is a "Paladin of Freedom"? Is this some kind of CG paladin variant from UA?

Ozmar the Curious
I missed this question, yes. Swaps out a few spells, and changes the Paladin Aura power (The +4 save one), nothing realy big.

There's also the Paladins of Tyrany(LE) and Slaughter(CE), but their abilities are adjusted a bit more (Lay hands does damage, they get cause disease, smite good, aura of evil, and their aura power does different things, and they get an entirely new spell list)

Bront

The man with the probe
Notes on Johan's relationships to other students.
Ozmar: Boromar - warforged scout
Took a class with Boromar (Animal Husbandry), and knows him from the warforged rallies and march. He has earned Boromar's respect and curiosity, and he likely has a good rapor with the curious warforged.

Bront: Johan d'Deneith - human paladin (of freedom!)
My relationship with myself is best not discussed in public :eek:

jkason: Midian Rightson - human druid
Took many classes with Midian, including Animal Husbandry, and likely Applied Relgion, as well as others in Midian's chosen ciriculum (As many would apply to the Paladin of Freedom). Neither of them quite took to the ciriculum, but they have a good mutual respect for each other. Midian sees some of what his family was hoping to see in Johan, though a large rebelious streek that would surely not have done, and Johan sees the student guided into his true calling by a wise teacher (though one not nearly as good looking as Natasha).

ShaggySpellsword: Tel Montayne - half-elf ranger
Johan likely didn't spend much time with Tel, being generaly quite sociable, but what what he has seen of Tel, he sees someone who is grossly underestimated by the general school populus. He's seen Tel stand tall for his friends, perhaps even at a Warforged rally (If he had a warforged friend). He does know that Johan's position as a noble is not something Tel feels very comfortable with however. Having taken a few combat training classes with him, he knows that Tel is a very compitent warrior.

Jarval: Glaw - warforged ranger
Like Boromar, Johan knows Glaw from the warforged Rallies, combat classes, and perhaps from the Animal Husbandry class. He knows Glaw is a compitent warrior, but knows little else about the quiet warforged. There is respect though, for Glaw knows nature quite well, and that is one of the few ways to open him up.

Ferrix: Teivel ir'Torn - human swashbuckler
With these two on campus, no woman was safe. Beyond that, their general natures would tend to draw them into similar settings, and while lesser men might have found a rival, these two, and their way with people, became good friends. However, Teivel's interests ultimatly lay far away from Johan's so as Johan turned to embrace his paladinhood and became a bit more series, their friendship waned a bit. Still Johan respects Teivel's way with people and his skill at arms.

Verbatim: Patruk Sivid - human necromancer
Patruk is an odd person, so ingraned in his studies of life and death, and shunning any contact with his family. Johan had little contact with him beyond an occasional class on religion or life theory. There is more to Patruk than there seems, but Johan has been unable to see it.

Krug: Plonk - gnome arificer
Plonk is perhaps one of the most dangerous people Johan has met. Not that he is intentionaly dangerous, but he is somewhat absentminded and very creative, and sometimes that can be a dangerous creation. Plonk likely attended some of the Warforged rallys, though Johan isn't sure if it was in support or to continue to examine them. Plonk is generaly a nice and driven person, but definately someone to be wary around, for you never know what might explode in his presence.

Idealy, Recruiding another Druid or Cleric, and either a Rogue/Scout/Spellthief or Arcanist would be good.

Suggestions as to the split if I may
Group A.
Ozmar: Boromar - warforged scout (Skill Monkey)
Bront: Johan d'Deneith - human paladin (of freedom!) (Warrior/Face/Minor Healer)
jkason: Midian Rightson - human druid (Healer/Spellcaster)
ShaggySpellsword: Tel Montayne - half-elf ranger (Warrior/ActionHero)
???

Thoughts:
The top three seem most connected to me, between classes, rallys, and general outlook. They also give a good range of characters for a party, and just about any other character can fit in here (And hense, Tel is my suggestion). Probably need another spellcaster of some kind, Divine or Arcane won't hurt. We have tracking (twice), Healing (Druid and Paladin later), some spellcasting, though limited, a skill monkey, and a face. Generaly a fairly well put togeather group of 4, that could use a bit more spellcasting punch

Group B.
Verbatim: Patruk Sivid - human necromancer(Spellcaster)
Krug: Plonk - gnome arificer (Skill Monkey/Spellcaster)
Jarval: Glaw - warforged ranger (Warrior/Natureboy)
Ferrix: Teivel ir'Torn - human swashbuckler (Warrior/Face)
????

Thoughts:
Teivel gives the group a face, Glaw gives it a tracker and a second warrior. Plonk can disarm so qualifies as a skill monkey, and can make healing potions and such if needed, plus has some spellcasting abilities. Patruk gives the group an arcane spellcaster, and keeps him away from Johan (Necromancer and Paladin, probably a bad mix). Gives you a fairly good party that could probably use either a rogue to help with skills, or more likely, some kind of healer (Druid/Cleric type).

No particular preference.
Well, no one here. Many of the players could go in either group, and the only two I'd realy try to seperate are Johan and Plonk, because of the whole Paladin/Necromancer thing, and given it's not that bad yet, it could probably still work fine. Teivel or Glaw would work well in place of Tel in party A, but are probably more needed in party B.

Hope this helps Mista, and gives you some RP perspective on how Johan could see these individuals. His personal preference for an extra body in party A is some hot looking sorceress :)

BTW, Ozmar, if you aren't aware, recient errata to the Complete Adventurer has the Scout with Disable Divice as a class skill now. Not sure you'd take it, but just letting you know it's available.

johnsemlak

First Post
I would like to give this one a try if therer's room. I see the PC list is short on wizard types. I thought I'd try to create a character concept of a wizard who is facsinated by exploration and travel.

Does the explorer's handbook have anything for this concept? I don't ahve it.

Remove ads