How Mythusmage Would Change D&D for 4th Edition if Wizards Hired Him

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
The Look

Wizard's D&D books have a distinctive look. The customer can usually pick out a WotC D&D product with little trouble. At the same time it is a busy look. Lots of business going on both inside and outside a tome. So for 4th edition what say we simplify?

Covers: A plain background on which the title and authors' names appear. Plus a simple color illustration representing what the book is about. Dungeon Master's Guide or related; a medium dark blue. Player's Handbook or related; a medium dark brown. Monster Manual or related; a medium dark green. The lettering would be gold for corebooks, silver for settings, and copper for supplements.

Cover Design: Book title on two lines. First line; "Dungeons & Dragons" in 18 point type. Second line: The name of the book in 36 point type. Then the illustration of a single object below which, in 18 point type, would be the authors' names (two man writing team on each book). As an example of what I mean regarding cover illustrations: DMG: A brass astrolabe; PHB; plain, ordinary, everyday, workingman's broadsword; MM: Red dragon head in profile. No decoration, geegaws, gimcrackery, fussbudgetry, or other embellishments. Keep it simple or work for somebody else.

Inside Design: Black ink on white paper. All chapters start on odd numbered pages. If this means the last page of a chapter would be left blank, use it for a full page illustrattion. 12 point type in a serif font, two columns. 1" inside margins, 1/2" outside margins. Book title on even number pages, chapter title on odd numbered pages. Both up top. Page numbers on outside upper corner. No lines between paragraphs. same for sub-sections. Single line between sections. Chapter heads 24 points, section heads 18 points, sub-section heads 14 points. All sidebars in the outer column; light shading. All game mechanics in sidebars and clearly designated as OGC. Illustrations as appropriate, and only appropriate illustrations.

Page Count: A multiple of 16. If layout produces something that is a not quite or a bit over a multiple of 16, extra pages will be added until page count is a multiple of 16. (Illustrations, rules examples, fiction, whatever it takes. :) )

Advertising: Absolutely forbidden. Magazines are for selling stuff, books aren't.

That ends this installment of the series. Next, what goes where.

mythusmage said:
No decoration, geegaws, gimcrackery, fussbudgetry, or other embellishments. Keep it simple or work for somebody else.

Whereas I'm of the opinion that the 3.0 and 3.5 Core Rulebooks are some of the best looking RPG products I've ever purchased. I love the dragonscale cover of the MM, the lock device on the DMG, etc.

A minimalist design? No thanks.

Here's hoping MM isn't hired as the artistic director for 4E!

dvvega

Explorer
Well I think it should be either ring binder or spiral bound.

And everything should be on a seperate page - seperate for each race, seperate for each class - etc.

That way when there are erratta, you just remove the offending page and slide in the replacement.

That ... I would pay for ... probably the most desired feature for myself.

Monsters should be one per page, good artwork with "fluff" on the front, stats and sample versions on the back.

Of course a two page spread in a spiral bound would be better but it would cause problems with backing pages being a different monster.

Supplements actually slide into the book at the appropriate location.

Oh Wait! Wasn't Harn like this? Yeah that ... do that.

D

Abisashi

First Post
mythusmage said:
Advertising: Absolutely forbidden. Magazines are for selling stuff, books aren't.

I agree completely. This is like having your fighter named "bobicus the smasher of icky NPCs." It breaks the mood for me, and makes the book feel much cheaper.

I like the current covers.

I agree with chapters starting on odd pages only; are there WotC books that don't?

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Abisashi said:
That's a cool feature.

Ever try schlepping a 2" three ring binder around? It's a pain. Rings get damaged, holes tear or wear through. And don't ask me about flipping pages.

More trouble than it's worth. Ask TSR, ICE, and the Harn people about it sometime.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Whereas I'm of the opinion that the 3.0 and 3.5 Core Rulebooks are some of the best looking RPG products I've ever purchased. I love the dragonscale cover of the MM, the lock device on the DMG, etc.

A minimalist design? No thanks.

Here's hoping MM isn't hired as the artistic director for 4E!

You're not into Zen gardens, are you? :)

Sammael

Adventurer
mythusmage said:
12 point type in a serif font, two columns.
Good grief, NO. A D&D book is not a college paper and doesn't need to have fonts large enough for an elderly English professor to read without his/her reading glasses. 8 point is perfectly fine.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Sammael said:
Good grief, NO. A D&D book is not a college paper and doesn't need to have fonts large enough for an elderly English professor to read without his/her reading glasses. 8 point is perfectly fine.

8 point in two columns? A long line of type to read all things considered. Now that I think of it, 10 point type. But be sure to use a font that reads well at that size. If you must use 8 point (or 6 point as Dangerous Journeys did for the first two books) use 3 or 4 columns.

BTW, thanks for reminding me ...

A D&D book is not a college paper or technical manual and does not have to be written as such. (I'll deal with this in depth later.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases