Recruiting for Blood and Guts: Modern Military PbP (done recruiting for now)

Vigilance

Explorer
I would like to begin a d20 Modern campaign called "Blood Blizzard" which will cast the PCs as soldiers in Iraq in the near future (the year 2010).

All that will be required to play is a copy of the d20 Modern core rules (or SRD) and a copy of Blood and Guts II: Military Training Manual, available at RPGNow.

The campaign will begin at 5th level which will begin the PCs able to take some of the Advanced Classes provided in B&G II.

Some other things you'd probably like to know before we begin:

I'm the writer of the Blood and Guts II series for RPGObjects and this PbP is going to playtest a new campaign-length module I plan to produce in the future as a PDF for that game.

1. Participants in the PbP will receive a free copy of the module upon completion as well as playtesting credit in said module.

2. This PbP is not intended to be a forum for anyone's views on the Iraq War, including mine. Although the game will contend with politics and religion, as long as we keep it possible future politics and religion I think we will be ok with the forum rules.

3. Here's the history of the five years from now until the beginning of the campaign:

(2005-2010) Iraq forms an independent government but one rife with bitterly opposed factions. An uneasy truce is brokered that allows the government to form but all sides ask the United States to stay as a “stabilizing presence”.

A. Although the American presence is reduced substantially, an airbase is constructed and Americans continue to patrol the country. The Iraqi Army grows in strength and slowly takes on the majority of the peacekeeping role.

B. Iraq continues to be a terrorist hotbed and special operations forces continue to wage a secret war in the country with the consent of the Iraqi governing council.

C. An Iraqi Shi`ia priest negotiates a “grand compromise” with Iran. In return for putting their nuclear reactor on indefinite hiatus, Iraq’s constitution will be based on Islamic law.

If there are any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

EDIT: In an effort to reduce insurgents and materials crossing over the huge border, an electronic frontier was set up along the Iraq-Iran border. The frontier consists of small unmanned radar outposts, movement sensors, movement activated cameras, etc.

These stations are fairly unreliable and frequently get knocked out by strong sandstorms. They are also a favorite target for scavengers looking for electronic components to sell on the black market.

Despite these problems the frontier has made a dent in unrestricted movement across the border and a similar series of stations are planned for the Iraq-Syria border.

The PCs have been given the wonderful job of maintaining the electronic frontier.

Chuck

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Im looking for 4-6 players... just make up a 5th level character using the standard array for ability scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) using B&G II and the modern core, along with a character background etc.

Chuck

The Shaman

First Post
Couple more questions -
1. Does choosing an MOS in B&GII require a feat slot as in B&GI? Never mind - answered my own question
2. Average hit points or roll for each level after first?
3. Will you be issuing a standard equipment package or should we purchase/requisition?
4. Select our own rank, or roll with each level?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Couple more questions -
1. Does choosing an MOS in B&GII require a feat slot as in B&GI?
2. Average hit points or roll for each level after first?
3. Will you be issuing a standard equipment package or should we purchase/requisition?
4. Select our own rank, or roll with each level?

Thanks very much!

1. Yes
2. Average is fine for a start.
3. Equipment will be provided.
4. Starting ranks will be fairly low, I'll set them based on feats, each character will probably have been promoted twice.

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm in! It might take me a little while to get a character up and running, but I love the thought of playing a game with you. I'll vouch for Shaman's amazing writing, as well. I have the first edition Blood and Guts books; is there much of a change? If so, I'll buy the new one, it's cheap enough at only $5.

Interestingly enough, I ran Operation: Dry Country tonight for a couple of guys as a one shot. Set up the characters as CIA SAD operatives. It was a great time, ran through it in a little over three hours. I think it really was a great way to show off the Modern/B&G rules.

Edit: One question- what is the unit we will be part of? It will help me with background and concept.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Bobitron said:
I'm in! It might take me a little while to get a character up and running, but I love the thought of playing a game with you. I'll vouch for Shaman's amazing writing, as well. I have the first edition Blood and Guts books; is there much of a change? If so, I'll buy the new one, it's cheap enough at only $5.

Interestingly enough, I ran Operation: Dry Country tonight for a couple of guys as a one shot. Set up the characters as CIA SAD operatives. It was a great time, ran through it in a little over three hours. I think it really was a great way to show off the Modern/B&G rules.

Edit: One question- what is the unit we will be part of? It will help me with background and concept.

Thanks!

Yeah BNG II is pretty different, the classes are much less specific and easier to get into.

The unit is going to be pretty wide ranging, and no necessity that you would all be in the same unit (speaking of which, the way units work is another big change so if you're aiming for special forces you'll need to check with me).

As I said in the intro, the American presence in the near future setting has been concentrated in one large base, located in Babil province between Najaf and Hilla.

Here's a good map of the country for folks to check out to get a basic lay of the land.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/iraq-map-aor_040400.htm

Chuck

PS On the issue of playing a game with me, I have never, ever ran a PbP game before, so hopefully you won't be severely disappointed ;)

Chuck

kingpaul

First Post
Well, here he is, using the generator

Strong Hero 3/Assault Training 2 CR 5; Medium-size humanoid; HD 3d8+6 plus 2d10+4 plus 2; HP 37; Mas 14; Init +2; Spd 30 ft; Defense 15, touch 15, flatfooted 13 (+0 size, +2 Dex, +3 class); BAB +5; Grap +7; Atk +7 melee (1d6+3, weapon), or +7 ranged (1d6+0, weapon); FS 5 ft by 5 ft; Reach 5 ft; SQ ; AL USMC; SV Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +1; AP 2; Rep +0; Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8.
Skills: Craft (chemical) +6, Craft (electronic) +6, Knowledge (Tactics) +7, Navigate +3, Read/Write Language +3 (Arabic, English, German, Spanish), Speak Language +3 (Arabic, English, German, Spanish), Survival +8, Treat Injury +4
Feats: Desert Warfare College (Drive, Knowledge [Tactics], Survival), MOS NBC (Craft [chemical], Craft [electronic], Treat Injury), MOS Rifleman (Climb, Knowledge [Tactics], Survival), Personal Firearms Proficiency, Weapon Focus
Talents (Strong Hero): Melee Smash, Extreme Effort
Talents (Assault Training): Tough as Nails, Shock Assault 1
Possessions: weapon, weapon; Wealth +6

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases