Adventure paths

[ranting fanboi mode]

I thought the original Adventure Path -- the 3.0 module series -- was a good idea, even though some of the adventures were of mixed quality. What it lacked was a coherent framing structure to make a solid, off-the-shelf campaign.

Dungeon took a swing and got a base hit with the Shackled City Adventure Path in the magazine. But I think they've hit a home run with the collected campaign in the Shackled City book. I got mine over a week ago, but just began flipping through it today. This book is fantastic -- a complete campaign, with lots of room for exploration, RP, combat, etc, fully-fleshed out in a single volume. The production values of the book are high, as well. I paid about the same price ($60) for this book as I did for World's Largest Dungeon, and though WLD is larger and more modular, I think I got a much better deal with Shackled City. Kudos to the Paizo team -- ya'll done good!

Now, that said, I'm digging the Age of Worms serialization even more. The options, the backdrop, the characters -- I think it has even more potential than Shackled City. I've been favorably impressed by the volume of supporting material available, too. The "Age of Worms Overload" document is great, and the articles in Dragon have been a nice plus. If our current campaign weren't so far along, I'd be tempted to start over using Age of Worms.

Y'all need to go out and buy the Shackled City book, 'cause I want Paizo encouraged to give Age of Worms the same treatment after the magazine wraps up the serialization. And I'd love to give either of the two Dungeon Adventure Paths a complete CRPG treatment so I could play through it on my own (sigh ... like that will happen :().

[/ranting fanboi mode]

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Yea. Wonder how sales over there at Paizo are doing. I'm biased, myself.

I picked up the Shackled City HC after hearing good things about the path from friends who played/ran it out of Dungeon. Got to page through the book one day, looked VERY solid, so I ordered it. Got it, started reading around the Paizo site, saw Age Of Worms ... downloaded the Overload overview and decided I had to have it ... 4 issues in.

:(

So I now have a subscription to Dungeon and will have to pick up a few back issues.

--fje

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I agree with you an all counts. I'm a big fan of Chris Perkin's adventures ever since I started reading Dungeon and he was editor of the magazine. His adventures really made the Shackled City path for me.

Unfortunately, I think I am in the same position a lot of hard core fans are in. A prepaid subscription to Dungeon (meaning I own all of the Shackled City adventures in magazine format) and little cash to purchase a book which duplicates most of that information.

PS: Please bring your copy next session. I'd still love to see it!

Turjan

Explorer
Hmm... I'd like to have a look at that one, too. Does anybody know whether it's available in any shops, or do you only get it directly from Paizo? I doubt that I'll buy the tome, because I have all the Dungeon magazines with the original adventures, but a glimpse at the material might be nice, anyway :).

Wycen

Explorer
Turjan said:
Hmm... I'd like to have a look at that one, too. Does anybody know whether it's available in any shops, or do you only get it directly from Paizo? I doubt that I'll buy the tome, because I have all the Dungeon magazines with the original adventures, but a glimpse at the material might be nice, anyway :).

I saw 3 copies of the Shackled City hardbound at my friend's shop last week, so you should be able to find it out there. He wanted me to buy a copy just so I would run our group through it.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I love SC, it has it all to include the best person doing maps, Chris West.

While AoW does not have Chris West and the maps seem to be suffering (IMO) the quality and amount of material to go along with AoW is simple mind blowing. I really hope the folks at Dungeon are taking note of this and already working on whats to follow because issues that lack this sense of "series" just seem lacking.

romp

First Post
I am eager to see if there is going to be an Age of Worms HC, Shackled City did not fire my imaginationthe way that AoW has, I would trade my gf's cat for a HC ... :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases