Freeform magic variants?

typo

First Post
I'm going to be running an Iron Kingdoms game starting up in a month or so, and I've been cobbling together a few variant systems to make it feel less D&Dish. One thing I'm especially looking to overhaul is the spellcasting system, as I just don't feel that the D&D spellbook is very "at home" in the IK setting.

So I'm looking for good alternate spellcasting systems I could use in my game to give my players something new to chew on. I'm particularly interested in systems that use a more "freeform" approach rather than spell lists and slots. The only one I really know of is in the Black Company book. I intend to check that one out, but I'm looking for any recommendations of magic variants that might be worth checking out to help make the magic in my game more unique.

Dav

First Post
Malhavoc Press's Iron Heroes introduces a cool variant magic system. It can be free-form in that the spellcaster himself can choose the different parameters of the spell. Some don't like the system, though, and the author himself admitted that there were issues with it. It's at least a springboard for ideas, though, especially since I don't know anything about Iron Kingdoms.

Atlas Games's Ars Magica has an interesting spell mechanic, but I admit to having barely no knowledge of it, other than that it seemed cool from other players' discussions.

Another possibility is to rid yourself of magic as you know it and replace it with incantations and rituals, similar as found in (I think) d20 Modern's Urban Arcana or in Wizards of the Coast's Unearthed Arcana. Malhavoc has a book in their Arcana Unearthed/Evolved line called Mystic Secrets which has some nice rituals and rites. This opens up the possibility of "magic" to characters that normally don't have access to 'em.

Of course, I'm probably betraying my total lack of knowledge of Iron Kingdoms right now. :) Oh well.

arscott

First Post
The Urban Arcana/Unearthed Arcana rituals are really designed to be combined with standard D&D magic, not to supplement it.

Elements of magic has a pretty good system. It combines the Psionic Power Point system with highly flexible effects, replacing specific spells with broad categories like 'evoke fire'.

Khairn

First Post
If you are specifically looking for more of a "freeform" flavor, then I would reccomend Elements of Magic (Revised) by EN Publishing. It should be a very easy fit for IK with the exception of the Arcane Mechanika spells. But then again I would imagine that you would want to tweak any magic system that you would drop into IK because of the unique arcane/ tech flavor of the setting.

I used rolemaster with IK and it worked our great. But it wasnt freeform.

beverson

First Post
93 Games Studio has a book called Magic: the Science and Art of Causing Change, which is a really cool take on spellcasting.

Available at RPGNow and Drive-Thru RPG, Elements of Magic - Revised Edition is a build-your-own-spells magic system designed to let you create the style of magic you desire. The rules are setting neutral, so with just a few flavor tweaks they can fit any style of magic.

The basis of the system is that spellcasters have a caster level bonus, sort of like a base attack bonus. There are three basic classes in the system - the mage, mageknight, and taskmage - and the expansion book Lyceian Arcana provides several new, more flavorful classes, plus conversions of core rules spellcasting classes. Caster level bonus from all classes stack.

Your caster level determines how much MP you have and how many 'spell lists' you know. A spell list is a combination of an action type (Abjure, Charm, Compel, Create, Evoke, Heal, Illusion, Infuse, Move, Summon, and Transform) and an object type (depending on the action type, it might be a creature type, an elemental type, or an alignment). If you know a spell list (examples include: Abjure Evil, Charm Ooze, Evoke Lava, Illusion Shadow, Move Space), you can create any sort of spell of that type, limited only by your level and how much MP you have. The book has a detailed list of options for each spell list, and the more powerful the effect, the higher the MP cost.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Razuur

First Post
The best vancian magic variant, Arcana Evolved for its flexibility.

As for free form, for me it is a tie between the Black Company or the Talislanta D20.

Both are very unique and cool.

Razuur

typo

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check a few of these out.

For those unfamiliar with the IK, there are wizards and arcane magic in it. I'm mainly looking to change the system a bit to make it less familiar to my players. None of them will be likely playing arcane classes, so I want to make my arcane NPCs a bit more unpredictable. I COULD just tack on some extra 3rd party spells (and, in the end, might just do that), but I've always felt that the standard Vancian system is a bit too restrictive.

Khairn

First Post
If you want to stick with something that is close to the D&D core magic, then seriously take a look at Arcanna Unearthed. Outstanding magic system with lots of flavor and many options that makes those who dont know the system go "How da heck did he do that!"

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'd go with Elements of Magic [Revised], but it'll be a chore converting mechanika.

Grrrrr..... Arcana Unearthed/Evolved does not use Vancian magic. It uses a spell slot system. Vancian magic is when you memorize the spells and then forget them once you've cast them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases