A Clash of Earth and Sea (El Jefe Judging) [See Part II]

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Sorry if it got a bit confusing. Basically, until an action is in one of my posts it hasn't happened yet, and I just consider it to be the next intended action, and intent may change based on the circumstances. Let me know if there's anything I could do that would make it clearer.

Iggy joins Charlarn in dragging away Ducane. In doing so, he notes that Ducane is much more seriously effected than the Gargoyle is, possibly because the Gargoyle was simply tougher to begin with.

Zack, attempting to back up Sara, smashes the gargoyle for another 1 point of damage.

At this point, it becomes clear that the party as a whole is withdrawing from combat. Sara and Zack somewhat reluctantly join the retreat and the party flees out of sight. Moments later, you can hear a piercing cry from high in the air, possibly the Gargoyles gathering together thei wing.

(We are out of combat time.)

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy

"We were lucky to escape alive from those things. But we'll do better next time. We know now how to fight them. Meanwhile, let's get back to the little enclave and rest."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Catching up to the others, Sara sheaths one sword to throw Duncane over her shoulder. "Damnit, I get sat on by a vegetable, we make nice with the bear and we run away from flying statues! This job sucks! Iggy stay close and hit the dirt if any more of those things show up, OK? Hey, did you run out of magic juice for now? You know, if Charlarn can use a wand to do his healing spells over and over, can we get you a wand of Blinding Colors? Or those little magic darts? That would be cool! But you need to learn those spells to set my swords on fire. Bet we wouldn't be running away now if I had some fiery swords. Though stone doesn't burn, does it...." If the birdies seem to be making good on the threat to come after them, Sara will look for a cave or other shelter. She figures if she stands in a small enough space with the cleric behind her healing her, the statues would get bored eventually and give up.... (this passes for defensive thinking in Sara-world. ;) )

ooc: a battlemap would have helped visuallize where everyone was at any given time, but I think most of the problem was people making plans that then changed based on birdie actions (myself included). Maybe you could adjust the "round" to end with the opponents actions so that everyone can make reasonable predictions of what they will do that round. (since rounds are cyclical, this could be implemented once the foes had taken their first actions with no need to adjust initiative order.)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Zack leaves the birdman with a muttered "next time..."
He gets Ducane's sword from Iggy and sheathes it in its right place before the diminutive wizard ruins the blade's edge, and then solemnly replaces Charlarn in carrying his brother.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 3/ranger 1

Kahuna Burger said:
If charlarn won't enchant the sword, Sara won't wave it around for naught. SHe will crankily accompany the cleric in leaving, grumbling about the reputation this is all giving her.
OOC: Whoops. That's my fault. I though Charlarn had cast the spell.

While pulling Ducane away from the gargoyles, Charlarn asks Ignatious, "How long is going to be like this? Can we put him on your pony until he wakes up? My divine strength isn't going to last long."

He sees Sara and Zack are irritated at having to retreat. "Now that we've taken their measure, the next fight will be in our favor, Phyrah willing. It looks like magical weapons have a better chance of piercing that stone hide of theirs. I was going to enchant your weapon, but more of those things could have come before we could kill one of them."

Patlin

Explorer
For the next 10 minutes, you run (or ride) rapidly through the woods in your efforts to avoid the gargoyles. At first, their angry cries are close behind you, but eventually you think you have dodged their pursuit. At some point during this hasty retreat, Ducane comes around.

Patlin

Explorer
XP Awards
Assasin Vine: EL 3, 160 xp Charlarn, 180 xp others
Weather: Ad hoc: 100 xp per character
Bear: CR 4 creature, 240 xp for Charlarn, 270 for others
Investigating the lake and meeting the locals: Ad Hoc: 30 xp each
2 Gargoyles: CR 4 each, xp awarded for 1 only, 240 xp for Charlarn, 270 for others

Time: 8/16/05 to 11/16/06 = 3 months

Ducane and Zack: 850 + 150 time = 1,000 xp
Sara and Iggy: 850 + 450 = 1300 xp
Charlarn: 770 + 600 = 1370 xp

The party may return to the compound and train to advance levels for those who qualify.

Xael

First Post
Rather unsurprisingly, Ducane is in favor of returning to the compound to recover. He's somewhat annoyed at the result of the fight, but at the same time he's glad that nobody died. He's also interested in making another trip to attack the Gargoyles, this time with better preparation.

OOC: That would mean Level 2 for Ducane (and Zack). Going for Power Attack...

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Hopefully all this anoyance is solely in character. Let me know out of character if you are looking for any specific changes. I think four of you will level up at this point, which should make the party a bit more robust, reduce the level differential, and help get you prepared for some of the combats I have in mind for later in the adventure.

Remember to get your characters aproved for the new level, and let me know when you are ready to go!

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Awesome! Now those gargoyles better watch out! I won't assign Iggy his 2 new spells, since I don't know how he'd pick them up around here. He'll take them when he returns to Orussus or wherever. Fortunately, he has quite a few spells already.

Remove ads