They're remaking... Clash of the Titans

Krug

Newshound
According to Dark Horizons...

Clash of the Titans: You know, before now I saw a lot of films being remade which didn't need it and while I could understand that people got pissed off about it I never could fully sympathise as practically none of the films had any special meaning for me personally (eg. "Rollerball", "Sabrina", etc.). Today that all changed as rather scary news appeared in Variety that Warner Bros. has hired writers John Glenn and Travis Wright (the upcoming Bruckheimer flick "Red World") to pen of all things, a remake of this 1981 classic film version of the Greek tale of Perseus. Scarier still the great scenes on Mount Olympus where the gods (Laurence Olivier, Ursula Andress, Maggie Smith, etc.) manipulate chess figures representing people will not appear - instead it'll focus purely on Perseus as he takes on Medusa. Excuse me, I'm going to go cry in a corner ('Clash' meant more of a film to me as a young teen than any of the "Star Wars" films). Thanks to 'FanHalen'.

Bass Puppet

First Post
You know, that movie was so awesome when I was young and having played D&D for 2 years a the time. At one point, I had all the Action Figures and accessories.

Well, I hope they do a better job with the special effects...even though it was a cool film...it is dated when it comes to those clay animation scenes.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
A remake won't wipe the original from the map. You'll always have Harry Hamlin.

I, on the other hand, would love to see CGI take a shot at all that Greek Mythology. It could, and honestly most likely will be a pale shadow of the original (in spirit), but... why the hell not? I say "Release the kraken!!!"

Krug said:
According to Dark Horizons...
Scarier still the great scenes on Mount Olympus where the gods (Laurence Olivier, Ursula Andress, Maggie Smith, etc.) manipulate chess figures representing people will not appear - instead it'll focus purely on Perseus as he takes on Medusa.

Ack. Those were a key part of the story. Oh, well. It will still be cool to see the Perseus segments with modern effects.

It's a great time to be a fan of Fantasy movies...

Sulimo

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
A remake won't wipe the original from the map. You'll always have Harry Hamlin.

I, on the other hand, would love to see CGI take a shot at all that Greek Mythology. It could, and honestly most likely will be a pale shadow of the original (in spirit), but... why the hell not? I say "Release the kraken!!!"

I just hope the guys know how to do _subtle_ CGI. I'm getting a little tired of films where the CGI overpowers everything else or doesnt mesh well at all.

Sulimo said:
I just hope the guys know how to do _subtle_ CGI. I'm getting a little tired of films where the CGI overpowers everything else or doesnt mesh well at all.

Could someone PLEASE explain this viewpoint to me. A LOT of people have been complaining about the realism of CGI lately. But the WORST CGI of the last 6 years is still a LOT more realistic than the stop motion and other forms of animation that everyone seems to love. So what's the big problem with CGI? If CGI isn't realistic enough for you, you can't tell me you find the other forms of animation better in that regard.

EDIT: It's not as if the stop motion creatures in the original Clash of the Titans weren't overpoweringly out of place, for example. Even a BAD CGI critter would look much, MUCH better from a realism or "mesh" standpoint.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Re: Re: They're remaking... Clash of the Titans

Canis said:

It's a great time to be a fan of Fantasy movies...

Here, here. I think that the LotR movies will do for our genre what Star Wars did for SciFi. I'm even willing to put up with all the cheap crap that will no doubt be hitting the screens about a year from now in order to enjoy the good concepts that will no doubt be included in the deluge.

Dr_M: yeah, I think we're overdue for some ancient myths brought back onto the silver screen. I mean, "Xena's" all well and good :), but it would be cool to see some "straight" mythological films. Although I guess CotT wasn't that "straight," really. It was cool from the POV of a D&D-playing teenager, though.

There was even a rumored "Jason and the Argonauts" remake in the works (see http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/jasonargonauts.html). Now that would be cool ("rise, children of the hydra's teeth!)

LB

Wormwood

Adventurer
Wonderful.

In a world where Greedo shoots first and nobody dares point a gun at E.T, this is not exactly good news.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
There was even a rumored "Jason and the Argonauts" remake in the works (see http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/detai...nargonauts.html). Now that would be cool ("rise, children of the hydra's teeth!)

This remake is already made (as a TV movie) and out on video. I rented it the other day and have to say I like it, but I was a little disappointed. While Dennis Hopper and Brian Thompson are good as Pelias and Hercules, Jason London as Jason seemed a little "cardboard." And what's up with the mullet? However, the costums and special effects were great. Really gave it a Greek feel.

Having seen Clash of the Titans and Jason when I was a kid, I guess I'm a little biased toward the older films (call it nostalgia). As a major motion picture, a remake of Clash might be successful. But than again, D&D the movie was crap. I am going to miss the "chess" scenes...

Sulimo

First Post
Mean Eyed Cat said:

This remake is already made (as a TV movie) and out on video. I rented it the other day and have to say I like it, but I was a little disappointed. While Dennis Hopper and Brian Thompson are good as Pelias and Hercules, Jason London as Jason seemed a little "cardboard." And what's up with the mullet? However, the costums and special effects were great. Really gave it a Greek feel.

That was the mini-series that Hallmark made (like their 'Odyssey', 'Merlin', etc). I assumed it was being remade as a feature film.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases