a question about magical and non-magical instruments

Link 86

First Post
Well i was wondering about instruments and such, i know bards get magic from playin instruments, but if the instrument was magical already, could someone else use it's powers?? confused?? well here is an example, say a fighter has a 10 in perform (flute), im sure thats fine, what if it was a magical flute, and someone taught him the tunes to play, not granting him magical power or anything, but like teleportation or somethin to that effect, simuliar to Mario Brothers 3, with the whirlwind flutes, or Legend of Zelda (Ages with the Harp, Ocarina of Time with the ocarina and such) those r the only games i can think of off the top of my head, if u have questions to answer this, i will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge/ability, thanx

Fieari

Explorer
A wondrous item or spell trigger item can be anything, including a musical instrument, and if the effect was activated by a perform check, then that's exactly what you're looking for. No item currently exists like that though, so any such musical instrument would be a custom item.

Jack Simth

First Post
Link 86 said:
Well i was wondering about instruments and such, i know bards get magic from playin instruments, but if the instrument was magical already, could someone else use it's powers?? confused?? well here is an example, say a fighter has a 10 in perform (flute), im sure thats fine, what if it was a magical flute, and someone taught him the tunes to play, not granting him magical power or anything, but like teleportation or somethin to that effect, simuliar to Mario Brothers 3, with the whirlwind flutes, or Legend of Zelda (Ages with the Harp, Ocarina of Time with the ocarina and such) those r the only games i can think of off the top of my head, if u have questions to answer this, i will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge/ability, thanx

Do you mean something like:
SRD said:
Harp of Charming: This instrument is a golden, intricately carved harp. When played, it enables the performer to work one suggestion (as the spell, Will DC 14 negates) into the music for each 10 minutes of playing if he can succeed on a DC 14 Perform (string instruments) check. If the check fails, the audience cannot be affected by any further performances from the harpist for 24 hours.

Faint enchantment; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, suggestion; Price 7,500 gp;Weight 5 lb.
or
SRD said:
Lyre of Building: If the proper chords are struck, a single use of this lyre negates any attacks made against all inanimate construction (walls, roof, floor, and so on) within 300 feet. This includes the effects of a horn of blasting, a disintegrate spell, or an attack from a ram or similar siege weapon. The lyre can be used in this way once per day, with the protection lasting for 30 minutes.

The lyre is also useful with respect to building. Once a week its strings can be strummed so as to produce chords that magically construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever. The effect produced in but 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days. Each hour after the first, a character playing the lyre must make a DC 18 Perform (string instruments) check. If it fails, she must stop and cannot play the lyre again for this purpose until a week has passed.

Faint transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, fabricate; Price 13,000 gp;Weight 5 lb.
, perhaps
SRD said:
Pipes of Haunting: This magic item appears to be a small set of pan pipes. When played by a person who succeeds on a DC 15 Perform (wind instruments) check, the pipes create an eerie, spellbinding tune. Those within 30 feet who hear the tune must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or become frightened for 4 rounds. Creatures with 6 or more Hit Dice are unaffected. Pipes of haunting can be sounded twice a day.

Faint necromancy; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, scare; Price 6,000 gp;Weight 3 lb.
, or
SRD said:
Pipes of Pain: These appear to be like any other standard set of pipes with nothing to reveal their true nature. When played by someone who succeeds on a DC 15 Perform (wind instruments) check, the pipes create a wondrous melody. All within 30 feet must make a DC 14 Will save or be fascinated by the sound. (This is a mind-affecting sonic compulsion.)

As soon as the piping stops, all those affected are stricken by intense pain at even the slightest noise. Unless a character is in a totally silent area, she takes 1d4 points of damage per round for 2d4 rounds. During this time, damage from sonic attacks is doubled. Thereafter, the least noise causes an affected character to become shaken (except when she is in a totally silent area). This hypersensitivity is a curse and therefore hard to remove (see the bestow curse spell).

Faint enchantment and evocation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have the bardic music class feature, sound burst; Price 12,000 gp;Weight 3 lb.
?

Link 86

First Post
actually yea, magical instruments, and anyone could use them right?? fighter, rouge, sorcerer, right?? if so that answers my question down to the letter, thanx

Jack Simth

First Post
Link 86 said:
actually yea, magical instruments, and anyone could use them right?? fighter, rouge, sorcerer, right?? if so that answers my question down to the letter, thanx
Anyone who can pass the appropriet Perform check can use any of the instruments I listed above, and get the appropriet effect. Of course, the Bard is the only core class that gets Perform (whatever) as a class skill, so most will be taking it cross-class.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases