Gen Con, Reflections and Thoughts

This was my first time of being able to go to all of Gen Con, the past two years I simply went up with a friend for a day (it only being ~3 hours from home). Now that I've gotten a chance to have a real Gen Con experience, meet some folks from the boards here, and see more and do more, just some things I've got to say.

Resturants: The Ram is excellent (especially at 3 AM when it's filled with nothing but gamers, but not so much right after the Colts game on Sat. night), Hard Times has some great chili. Some other places weren't quite as memorable, a place or two were downright forgettable, but I'd rather focus on the positives.

The ENnies were a pretty nice show, I wasn't expecting something quite that formal (the waiters in tuxedos kinda stunned me there for a moment when I walked in), but it was cool. Maybe next year we can do some kind of webcast, so we're broadcasting it to people who couldn't make it to Gen Con.

Those dang little Star Wars minis. They release a new set, and I actually draw the rare AT-ST I want on the first pack, and thanks to being able to buy loose commons for relatively cheap means I don't have to gamble $20 on any more packs.

It was good to meet some of my fellow ENWorlders. RangerWicket, Queen_Dopplepopolis, Truth Seeker, Mark, FickleGM, John Crichton and a few others I saw at least in passing, it was great to meet you all. Y'all gave me some of the high points of the Con, to hats off to you.

Mage: I got my copy, yay! Part of me wonders if only having 300 copies was an artificial shortage created to drive up interest. Either way, I like what they've done with it so far from what I can tell. Of course, crashing through the doors, jockeying for position as part of some twisted gamer Race to fall in line to get a copy one morning was quite a memory.

The D&D Movie 2 Preview: It looks like it has hope of not sucking horribly. I'm not expecting high cinema, but this time it looks like they actually bothered to make it be a movie about D&D, instead of a generic fantasy movie which vaguely resembled D&D. The lines to see the preview were incredible.

A game of Munchkin that lasts until after 3 AM can get brutal, and silly.

The idea which came up (don't recall who first suggested it) of ENWorld taking up a PayPal collection to rent one of the rooms on the top floor of the Embassy Suites for parties/gathering is a neat one, so we can have more space and time, instead of piling into a tiny room and leaving at midnight so our nice hosts can get some rest.

Sunday Morning in the Exhibit Hall: I think that's the first time I hauled away bulk tonnage of books. Everything I'd heard about ridiculous sales at the end was true. Titan Games must have moved a truckload of books with their deals.

Any reflections on the events of the long weekend that others would like to share?

qstor

Adventurer
I went. It was my 3rd time. I went last year too. I mostly judged and played RPGA stuff. I played Dave Arensons Blackmoor Living Style campaign too and Champions which was a blast.

Mike

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases