+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Hrothgar

Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

A Lost Faith’s Shadow

Friends, I intend to run a Play by Post in the Midnight Campaign setting here on ENWorld. I am looking for 4-6 players to join me exploring the world of Aryth, fighting the Shadow, and having a good time doing it!

A Lost Faith’s Shadow will start in Northern Eredane in the small farming community of Caft, northwest of Davindale. Since this is a game and games are meant to be fun, I will accept non-humans in the party. Those familiar with the Midnight setting will realize the problems of non-humans in a Shadow controlled region. As scuh, a maximum of two non-humans will be accepted and are limited to Kurgun dwarves, Caransil or Erunsil elves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, and any half-breeds. Realize playing any non-human in Northern Eredane is extremely dangerous. Dwarves, elves and their half-breed kin are killed on sight by the Shadow’s forces while halflings are generally slaves or food for orc cooking pots. Since Caft is tens of miles from any major waterway, gnome characters may prove difficult to justify. However, I give you the opportunity if you desire to play these races. You must provide sufficient justification in your character background (see below). Obviously, playing human characters would make things much easier. I will let you decide amongst yourselves who will play any non-human characters (should you so desire).

Your character may be of any class described in MN11 (Midnight Second Edition). Characters should be created at 1st level using the 32 point-buy system and 3.5e rules. Starting equipment as described in Midnight Second Edition rulebook. All Midnight supplements are valid, but if you use anything from outside the Midnight 2E rulebook, give me a head’s up.

With your character, include a moderately detailed (no 5-10 page essays necessary) character background. Your background should end with some reason why your character is in the farming town of Caft. As an outlander, your character may have arrived for work or rest, a common situation when these small farms are so critical for the Shadow’s war machine coupled with lax security in an entrenched Shadow-controlled region. Regardless, villagers will treat you as outsiders, avoiding interaction with you outside of farming work. If your character is non-human, your background MUST include a reason why you have come to Caft in a Shadow-controlled region and why your heritage has gone unnoticed (or has been accepted).

Place your characters here.

Some information on Caft for your character backgrounds: 99 LA, Arc of Sennach. Caft is a small farming village 150 miles west northwest of Davindale with approximately 250 Dorn residents. Surrounded by the rolling, grass covered hills of the northern plains, Caft sits at the southeastern end of a broad valley along a shallow, rock-strewn river. A dark pine and oak forest covers the northeastern half of the valley. The weather is mid-60s to low 70s during the day and 40s at night.

Caft is one of many towns in Northern Eredane vital to Izrador’s war machine in the Kaladruns and in Erethor. The region surrounding Caft is blessed with rich, black soil. Already in early summer wheat and corn grow green in the fields and long-horned, shaggy cattle range the vale’s pasture.

Towns such as Caft occasionally do take in wanderers, refugees or even slaves to aid in farming, a necessity if the Shadow’s armies are to receive their supply of food. A minimal turnover in Caft’s residents is not questioned generally unless food production falls. This often works to the advantage of insurgents who use their false farming jobs as cover for their other clandestine operations. Orc patrols passing through towns such as Caft are fairly common, although legate or orc warlord superiors discourage prolonged stays. The brutal and ferocious nature of an orc patrol often means dead farmers and these skilled laborers are too vital for the Shadow’s war efforts.

Most of the farmers’ homes are located in Caft for easy defense. Many of the farmers also possess blacksmithing, tailoring, tanning, butchering, etc., skills that they use to barter with others in Caft and operate out of their own homes, sheds, or barns. The Plough and Stars is a small inn in Caft, a popular place for men of the village to lament over their lives when the sun goes down. The inn sees little business other than serving its decent ale. The inn and its ale are also mandatory for the orcs that routinely pass through the town.

Rules of Engagement and My Pet Peeves

1) Post at least once every two days. If you don’t post in this time, I will move things along and play your character to the best of my ability.

2) If you plan on being offline for some time or want to quit, show some courtesy and please post here and let me and the other players know.

3) Treat the game as R-rated. I will not be overly graphic in my descriptions, but Midnight does incorporate mature-themes.

4) I will handle all dice rolling to move this PbP along. I like PbPs that do not grind to a halt to squeeze out every last dice roll. However, I need you to explain your character’s actions in detail using an OOC tag, citing feats, skills, or special abilities your character wishes to use. Two simple examples follow. In both cases, I would resolve the outcomes. In some cases, I will not even roll dice and just rule what would be expected to happen. An example might be a seventh level fighter in melee with a first level orc warrior: the seventh level fighter wins.

Example 1: Wulfgar raised his bloody head to stare up at the massive ogre standing above him. Throwing caution to the wind, the mighty Dorn roared an ancient Norfall battle challenge and swung his greatsword with all his might.

OOC: Wulfgar takes a full-attack action and uses his Power Attack feat (subtract 2 from all attack rolls and add 4 to all damage rolls). If the ogre drops, Wulfgar will Cleave the nearest orc.

Example 2: Theor moved with great care across the open compound. On the ramparts, the orc sentries moved as black silhouettes against the full moon. He knew the trapdoor must be near, but it would not be easy to find in the dark.

OOC: Theor uses the skills Move Silently and Hide. Theor pauses every ten feet to use his Spot skill to keep an eye on the orc sentries in the shadows and his Search skill to find the trap door. If Theor can, he will take 10 on the Search check if he is hidden in ample shadows.

5) I would like this PbP to read like a story. I prefer narrative in the past-tense. Put a little effort into your narrative, but avoid page-length posts. Remember, I am not the only one who reads through these!

6) Never, ever, post an action for another player or NPC. Other players and I will judge the reactions of the characters your character interacts with.

7) Never use “I” to describe your character’s actions. When you write the narrative, use your character’s name. You are not the character!

8) You must have fun. If you are not, I am not doing my job properly.

The language color code I will use is stolen from the AgainsttheShadow.org boards:

Black Tongue: dark red
    Orcish: red
    Erenlander: orange
    Halfling: white
    Trader's Tongue: yellow
    Jungle Mouth: green
    Norther: olive
    Old Dwarven: blue
    High Elven: cyan
    Dwarven Clan Dialects: lime
    Colonial: Purple
    Courtier: pink
    Patrol Sign: gray

I would like to start this PbP in the next 2-3 weeks if possible. Once 4 characters have been added to the Rogue’s Gallery, we will start. An additional 1-2 characters may drift in afterwards.

So, who is interested? Any questions?

The Players
    Toric Arthendain
    Bobitron
    Krug
    maddmic
    Thornir Alekeg

Alternates
    Unkabear
    Last edited by Hrothgar; Wednesday, 20th December, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Ferrix
    My communities:

Ah... a new midnight game starting up, pity I don't have the 2nd Edition book. *sniff sniff* Is it a requirement?
    Lindy hopper, popper, dancer, philosopher, gamer, fledgling capoeirista, so on... so forth

Quote Originally Posted by Wrahn
    You sir, have a talent for finding loopholes.
    The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.
    -Eco

When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
    - J. Krishnamurti

http://www.enworld.org/ennies/images...ini_banner.gif

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore Kajamba Lion
    I was about to say the same thing. I have the original books, but not the 2nd ed. book. If that's not a problem, then I'd definitely be interested in this game.

Nick
    "Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." — A. Bartlett Giamatti

Newshound
    Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Krug
    My communities:

Yeah I don't have 2nd Ed either..

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Bobitron
    Sign me up! I've been waiting for a game to use my $50 book in, and this looks like a great one. I appreciate the effort you put into your first post.

Meet Kaela, Erenlander channeler. I'll try to get my basic stats and background up either today or over the weekend.

Last edited by Bobitron; Tuesday, 6th September, 2005 at 12:04 AM.
    Please, Kermie, don't hurt 'em.

Kaela, from A Lost Faith's Shadow
    Chapter 5
    OOC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Krug
    Yeah I don't have 2nd Ed either..
    Yeah, same here... (I'm intrested though.)

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore elapse

Please let there be another spot open!

I would really like to join you in this campaign. I will submit a character to the other thread if you still have spots open.

Sounds interesting, but I assume one needs something other than the core WOTC books.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Hrothgar
    Excellent. I'm glad to see some people are interested.

Ferrix, KL, Krug, BS
    Yes, I would like Midnight 2E to be the standard, although for the most part, the major revisions to Midnight 1E was a conversion from 3.0 to 3.5. Some of the classes have been revised and an effort was made to distinguish between channeled magic (which an asterix can detect) to innate magic (which an asterix cannot detect). For those of you who do not have Midnight 2E, this site contains Midnight 2E races, classes, feats, heroic paths, and spell casting for Midnight. All the information to create a character is right here! Let me know if you are still interested.

Elapse
    Sure, write one up and put it in the Rogues Gallery here.

RR
    The site I mentioned above may give you more information on Midnight as well as AgainsttheShadow.org. Let me know if you intend to play.

Bob
    I like the character concept, a gentle character in a war-torn world.

I can't find any spell energy points listed (1 from 1st level channeler +2 for Charisma) as well as the number of times per day your character can cast 0-level spells. As you probably know, you will be limited to your single first level spell from the Magecraft feat (other thatn 0-level spells) only until you choose the Spellcasting feat.

When this gets fleshed out, remember to put it here.

Ferrix, KL, Krug, BS, Bob, Elapse, I will add you to the player list. If you do not wish to play, please let me know.

Ranger Rick, I can put you on the Alternate List. Some that have expressed interest may not want to play, so if your interest is sparked, please check back.
    Last edited by Hrothgar; Thursday, 25th August, 2005 at 12:24 AM.

Newshound
    Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Krug
    My communities:

Thanks! I'm interested. Probably a Erenlander Barbarian for me.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore elapse

Character Posted

I am in the Rogues Gallery. Reznik, Erenlander Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar
    Ferrix, KL, Krug, BS, Bob, Elapse, I will add you to the player list. If you do not wish to play, please let me know.
    Sweet! I'm probably looking at an Erenlander Wildlander. (I've seen the second edition version.)

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Hrothgar
    An excellent mix of suggested characters so far! Krug, BS, I look forward to your characters. With so many Erenlanders, I just want to remind you that Caft is north of the Pelluria in what once were Dornish lands. I have no problem with Erenlanders, but I wanted to make sure everyone knows Caft is populated mainly by Dorns, just in case I wasn't clear in my first over-long post.

Elapse, that was fast! Looks good. Just a couple of things. I need attack bonuses listed for Reznik's weapons. What exotic Dorn or Sarcosan weapon does Reznik treat as a martial weapon?

I like Reznik's background and physical and emotion scars from the Shadow. I will be able to generate a hook given your background with little trouble. One thing about Reznik's description. Given his current undercover activity, I assume he is not openly bearing arms. Given the occasional orc patrols as well as farmers not wanting any trouble, Reznik would not last long in Caft. If you have sufficient funds, I have no problem with Reznik owning the weapons, but stashing them away, unless Reznik is with other insurgents, might be a good idea.

Newshound
    Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Krug
    My communities:

Ok I'll change mine to Dornish Barbarian then.
    What is the starting equipment for such a character under Midnight 2E rules?

Code:
    Name:  Starhl
    Class: Barbarian
    Race:  Human (Dorn)
    Size:  Medium
    Alignment: 
    Deity: 

Str: 18 (+4)      Level: 1        XP: 0
    Dex: 14 (+2)      BAB: +1         HP: 14
    Con: 14 (+2)      Grapple: 0      Dmg Red: -/-
    Int: 12 (+1)      Speed: 40'      Spell Res: -
    Wis: 10 (+0)      Init: +1        Spell Save: - 
    Cha: 10 (+0)      ACP: 0          Spell Fail: 0%

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
    Armor:             10    +3    +0     +2   +0     +0   +0    15
    Touch: 12               Flatfooted: 13

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
    Fort:                      2    +2   +1     +5
    Ref:                       0    +2          +2
    Will:                      0    +0          +0

Armor                    Bonus   Dex    ACP   ASF  Weight    Cost
    Studded Leather             +3     5     -1   15%   20lb      25gp   

Weapon                    Attack   Damage     Critical   Range   Weight  Cost
    Greataxe (2H)                +6      1d12+6    x3        -       12lb   20gp
    Longbow                      +3      1d6       x3        60'      2lb   75gp
    Arrows (20)                                                       3lb    1gp
    Dagger                       +5      1d4+4   19-20/x2    10'     .5lb    2gp

Languages: Erenlander, Norther

Abilities: +1 Fort, +1 attack rolls when fighting with five+ Dorns, +1 using 
    melee weapon two-handed, Erenlander (+2 Str, -2 Cha), Bastard Sword proficiency, Fast 
    movement, Illiteracy, Rage (1/day; +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Will, -2 AC)

Feats: Track, Power Attack

Heroic Path: Warg (Bear)

Heroic Abilities: Wild Empathy

Skill Points: 24     Max Ranks: 4

Skills                      Abil Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
    Climb                       Str   4    +4     -1    7
    Handle Animal               Cha   4                 4
    Hide (cc)                   Dex   0    +2     -1    1
    Intimidate                  Cha   1                 1
    Jump                        Str   2    +4     -1    5
    Knowledge (Local)           Int   1    +1           2
    Listen                      Wis   2                 2
    Ride                        Dex   2    +2           4
    Search (cc)                 Int   1    +1           2
    Spot (cc)                   Wis   1    +0           1
    Survival                    Wis   4    +0           4
    Swim                        Str   2    +4     -2    6

Equipment:                Cost  Weight
    Backpack                   2gp    2lb
    Bedroll                    .1gp   5lb
    Belt Pouch                 1gp    2lb
    Exporer's Outfit          10gp    8lb
    Rations (4 days)           2gp    4lb
    Oil, pint (2)              .2gp   1lb
    Waterskin                  1gp    4lb

Total Weight: 22.4 lb                Money: 39gp 8sp

Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift
    Max Weight:         100lb   200lb  300lb  600lb   

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 170 lbs
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Blond
    Skin: Tan

Appearance Starhl is a hulking man, with blond hair and blue eyes. He has a beard 
    and moustache, and dresses plainly.

BackgroundStrahl was a member of a pict tribe that raided the area around 

Davindale. He was captured one evening and thought he would be executed. However, he was shown mercy by the town's wisewoman, who saw that there was no evil in him. She took him under her wing and made him do 'penance' by doing odd jobs, such as lugging goods around for other folk in Caft, and made him see that the enemy was Izrador and his orcs. 
    The wisewoman died, however, murdered by a bunch of Orcs. Strahl was too late to save 
    her, but tracked down those responsible and slew them. Since then he has worked in Caft, 
    ferrying goods and hunting game to eke out a living.
    Last edited by Krug; Thursday, 25th August, 2005 at 10:28 AM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore elapse

Background

Hroth,

Not a problem with the gear. Having it stashed is the idea. I completely agree that trying ot farm in leather armor with a bunch of weapons would look a bit odd. I didn't write if their were other insurgents in Caft since I assumed that would be your call. I would certainly like there to be more, but Reznik as a lone agent is fine. Whatever fits the adventure.

My martial weapon will be the bastard sword.

I will edit the post in the rogues gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar
    Excellent. I'm glad to see some people are interested......

Ranger Rick, I can put you on the Alternate List. Some that have expressed interest may not want to play, so if your interest is sparked, please check back.

I will be gone from tonight till Monday. I am interested and if a spot comes up, I can be here on Monday to write up a charcater.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore Kajamba Lion
    Whoops. I totally got caught up at work yesterday, and I'll be there tonight and tomorrow morning, so I'll pick up an alternate slot, and, like Ranger Rick, should you need players come Monday, I'll have one for you.

Nick
    "Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." — A. Bartlett Giamatti

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ø Ignore Bobitron
    I think I'm going to share the wealth and pull out of this game before I get too involved. That will leave room for the alternates to get in. Best wishes, guys, looks like a cool game!
    Please, Kermie, don't hurt 'em.

Kaela, from A Lost Faith's Shadow
    Chapter 5
    OOC Thread

Bobitron, how dare you! I really liked your character concept... (How about I delete you appove post? )

Assuming my alternate slides up.

Brian Brou - played by Ranger Rick
    Human
    1st level Monk (Professional)

At a glance: At a monestary, he was captured in a political ploy, sent into salvery. Enroute, he escaped and ended in town. To earn food, he become a farm laborer for the current harvest.
    Last edited by Ranger Rick; Thursday, 25th August, 2005 at 09:01 PM.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast