Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Hrothgar

First Post
Bihlbo said:
I can certainly do that. I just wanted to get a feel for the group. I actually have about half a dozen Midnight 2e characters saved (because I like to build em) and I'd be happy playing any of them. So I'm going to go for a rogue built to later qualify for the Smuggler PrC.

One request though. I'd like to use the alternate rogue class abilities listed in Unearthed Arcana, and drop the Sneak Attack ability in favor of bonus feats (as fighter). Reference here

Are you rolling hit points? Do we get max for 1st level? Soon as I get a reply to these two questions, I'll be ready to post the stats. Still working on the character background.

Bihlbo

Sorry, work has been busy.

I think substituting sneak attack ability for feats is fine, as long as it is documented and you feel it is a fair trade. I have to admit my ignorance to Unearthed Arcana or similar texts. Guess I have been investing purely in Midnight, CoC, and other campaign specific books.

You roll hit points on the honor system. Full hit points at first level.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Krug? Thornir? The game awaits...

Bihlbo

Explorer
Character's name: Mardo Fintwicz. He's in the rogue's gallery.

Two questions:
1. What does he have for starting worth? I'm guessing it's more than what is listed for the class, since he's level 2.
2. Will this character "work"? I realized after posting that he might step on some of Kaela's abilities and strengths. I would rather make a new character than ruin someone's fun, so let me know. (Heck, is Bobitron still in the game?)

I didn't envision Mardo as being much of a killer, really, so the sneak attack ability given to rogues didn't please me. I plan on going for the Smuggler PrC eventually, so I'd rather give him more options, and get focused on using finesse weapons more effectively (which takes a lot less time with the fighter feat progression). I don't know much about Unearthed Arcana myself, having never seen it in person. But I ran across the mention of class alterations in the SRD, and loved the idea.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

First Post
Bihlbo said:
Character's name: Mardo Fintwicz. He's in the rogue's gallery.

Two questions:
1. What does he have for starting worth? I'm guessing it's more than what is listed for the class, since he's level 2.
2. Will this character "work"? I realized after posting that he might step on some of Kaela's abilities and strengths. I would rather make a new character than ruin someone's fun, so let me know. (Heck, is Bobitron still in the game?)

I didn't envision Mardo as being much of a killer, really, so the sneak attack ability given to rogues didn't please me. I plan on going for the Smuggler PrC eventually, so I'd rather give him more options, and get focused on using finesse weapons more effectively (which takes a lot less time with the fighter feat progression). I don't know much about Unearthed Arcana myself, having never seen it in person. But I ran across the mention of class alterations in the SRD, and loved the idea.

For starting equipment, I'll let you pick the items you think your character WOULD have, not necessarily what you WANT him to have. You are familiar with character poverty in the Midnight setting, so I am comfortable with you choosing basic items for your character.

I think your character would be a nice addition to the party. I don't think the abilities of Kaela (Bobitron's character) and your character overlap significantly, but Kaela has seemed to grudgingly taken leadership of the band and is often looked to as a speaker for negotiations. I think that might be the major area where the two characters would overlap. And yes, Bobitron is still around, but he is almost as busy as I am. :)

All in all, I think your character looks good. Since the Heroes are currently on a waterway, I wonder if Mardo has stopped in Elswier for routine business or smuggling?

Bihlbo

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
For starting equipment, I'll let you pick the items you think your character WOULD have, not necessarily what you WANT him to have.
Since the Heroes are currently on a waterway, I wonder if Mardo has stopped in Elswier for routine business or smuggling?

Sounds good, thanks. I'm going to add some goods then and give him something better than just a handcart, like a raft. I just read through the first page of the fourth chapter today and understand a little more about where you all are. Mardo is a trader who travels from town to town, bartering for goods and trying his best not to get caught doing something he shouldn't. He has a tendancy not just to smuggle contraband, but to acquire it by stealing. Mostly though, his business is trying to keep himself fed and alive by making beneficial trades. He almost never sets off on a mission to just smuggle goods - that's just an aside.

Bobitron, you might want to take another look at K's spells. You only have 10 spells listed on her character sheet, and that's not enough.
Magecraft = prestedigitation and 3 other 0-level spells, plus one 1st-level spell
Spellcraft = 1 free spell in each of the Enchantment and Conjuration (lesser) schools
Spell Knowledge = 2 free spells
Bonus Spells (channeler ability) = 2 spells at each level from 2-4

That's a total of 4 0-level spells and 11 other spells (15 total instead of 10) that she should have. And that's not counting the spells that she could be teaching herself by merely practicing and trying new things (that's how charismatic channelers learn new spells). I usually see 4th-level channelers with 18-25 spells in their list, so you might want to beef that up.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Sorry, it has been a crazy time. Between illnesses, end of marking period for my wife and interviewing for a new job, evenings have been a matter of getting the kids to bed and crashing right after. I have a post in the new chapter.

Hrothgar

First Post
Thanks, Thornir. Why is the time leading up to the Holidays so hectic? :p

Bihlbo
Let me know when your character is ready and I will get you worked into the game. :)

Bobitron

Explorer
Bihlbo said:
Bobitron, you might want to take another look at K's spells. You only have 10 spells listed on her character sheet, and that's not enough.
Magecraft = prestedigitation and 3 other 0-level spells, plus one 1st-level spell
Spellcraft = 1 free spell in each of the Enchantment and Conjuration (lesser) schools
Spell Knowledge = 2 free spells
Bonus Spells (channeler ability) = 2 spells at each level from 2-4

That's a total of 4 0-level spells and 11 other spells (15 total instead of 10) that she should have. And that's not counting the spells that she could be teaching herself by merely practicing and trying new things (that's how charismatic channelers learn new spells). I usually see 4th-level channelers with 18-25 spells in their list, so you might want to beef that up.

Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

I'm still kinda slammed at work and home right now, but I'll get a post up soon. Sorry for the delay.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Bihlbo
Let me know when your character is ready and I will get you worked into the game. :)

Mardo should be ready. His background isn't extensive, but there are enough facts there for you to work with and build on, I think. If you have any questions or if you'd like me to elaborate on what's there, just let me know.

I planned on him being sort of an anomoly in the world of Midnight. He's a guy whose hope isn't focused on the lack of hope around him, but instead on his hope to simply profit. It's not so much greed as it is the love of the challenge. He's friendly, or at least very good at acting friendly, and tries his best to get along with officials and outlaws alike. He relies heavily on the general freedom that traders have, due to them being necessary to the well-being of the people with whom he trades.

It's up to you, but my thinking is that he's in town to acquire some of their goods (tanned hides sounds like the town's main export) in order to barter them away in a more affluent area, or just in a place where the goods are in high demand. If you know where that might be, it's probably something Mardo would have on his mind. Mardo's background makes him sort of local to this area, so he might be familiar with the village, and may even know who he should talk to.

Bobitron

Explorer
Oh no! Stupid Charm worked too well. :( I'll get a post up soon. I should have a little time tomorrow to review Kaela's build as well.

Remove ads