Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

I am posting from home right now during a window of actual connectivity and will post an IC post from work later tonight. Over the past week or so my ability to connect to the internet has been extremely spotty from home. A new DSL modem is on the way to hopefully correct the problem.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Sorry about the delay. I'd been sequestered while serving on a jury.

The most recent one is a big post, but hopefully that'll catch Mardo up to what everyone else had just done. I'm assuming there is a raft nearby that we could use, so if there's not let me know and I'll edit Mardo's actions.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hey Bihlbo, would you mind terribly helping me out with my spells? I still haven't been able to figure out exactly how many known spells I should have. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bihlbo

Explorer
This is for Bobitron

Bobitron, absolutely! I'll include here the spells you must have. As for the others, those are up to you. See, you could be learning new spells in the course of playing your character, if you wish to do so. As a charismatic channeler, you just "experiment with new spells" and make the Spellcraft roll once you've spent the appropriate amount of time working on it (this is the primary reason you want your ranks in Spellcraft maxed out). In game terms, that means you simply choose a new spell to learn, make the roll, and either you learn it or not. Each level, you can learn as many new spells in this manner as your casting ability modifier. If you do "teach yourself" a new spell, it costs XP (so that's the reason it's a choice). Since you haven't been aware of this, I assume, you might talk Hrothgar into letting you ret-con a few learned spells.

Freebies (Source / # of Spells Granted)
  • Magecraft feat granted by class / 1 1st-level spell from the bard list, prestedigitation, 3 0-level spells from the bard list
  • Bonus Spells (class feature starting at level 2) / 2 spells per level for levels 2-4 (6 spells total) -- Since you had both of your Spellcasting feats at level 2, these can be either enchantment or lesser conjuration spells. You have to choose 0 or 1st-level spells for level 2, and for levels 3 and 4, 2nd-level spells are available.
  • Spellcasting feat (enchantment) / 1 free spell when the feat is earned (limited to 1st-level or 0-level spells due to the level at which you gained the feat)
  • Spellcasting feat (conjuration, lesser) / 1 free spell when the feat is earned (limited to 1st-level or 0-level spells due to the level at which you gained the feat)
  • Spell Knowledge feat / 2 spells, spell level 0-2 available to learn (I suggest always selecting spells from the highest level available to you when it's a free spell)

Optional Spells Through Experimentation

Paraphrased from the book:
Charismatic casters play with energies and experiment to learn new spells. It's quite difficult, but it allows complete freedom over the spells learned. Learning a new spell via experimentation takes 8 hours of work for 2 days per spell level and 100 XP per spell level (half for 0-level spells). Or, dabbling in experimenting while engaged more fully in other activities takes one full week instead of 2 days, per spell level.

The Spellcraft check is DC 20 + spell level, made after the time is spent experimenting. Failure means the time must be repeated, but the XP cost is only incurred once the spell is successfully learned.

How many you could have learned:
1st-level: 3 spells of the enchantment school; 0 or 1st-level
2nd-level: 3 spells of the enchantment or lesser conjuration school; 0 or 1st-level
3rd-level: 3 spells of the enchantment or lesser conjuration school; 0, 1st, or 2nd-level
4th-level: 3 spells of the enchantment or lesser conjuration school; 0, 1st, or 2nd-level

Because of the cost and time involved, I highly recommend that you gain your higher-level spells through the "freebies" like the Bonus Spells class feature. Gain the low-level spells through experimentation. 2nd-level spells take a full 4 days and 200 XP - that's no small taters.

Totals

Freebies (if the level chosen is always the highest available):
0-level: 3 bard spells and prestedigitation 4
1st-level: 1 bard spell, 1 enchantment spell, 1 lesser conjuration spell, and 2 bonus spells 5
2nd-level: 4 bonus spells and 2 Spell Knowledge spells 6

Experimented:
3 enchantment
9 enchantment or lesser conjuration
Note: You didn't learn these yet. If you chose to experiment as you went, then you could have learned, for example, 5 0-level spells and 6 1st-level spells. This would have taken 850 XP and a minimum of 17 days of work. You'd have a total of 9 0-level, 11 1st-level, and 6 2nd-level spells (26 total). You still have the option to learn the spells for level 4 since you haven't leveled yet. "Hop" to it! :)

What You Have

0-level: prestedigitation, read magic, ghost sound, mage hand
1st-level: charm person, sleep, obscuring mist, mage armor, missing 1
2nd-level: fog cloud, calm emotions, missing 4
In total you're missing 5 spells that you have already payed for through feats and such. One of these can't be a 2nd-level spell, and the other 4 could be any level. You also have the option to spend time and XP to learn 3 at this level, and Hrothgar might let you ret-con a few more for previous levels (I don't know, you should ask).

Here is a list of all of the Midnight spells, in case you didn't already have this site bookmarked.

Last edited:

Bihlbo

Explorer
Hey Hrothgar

Just to be clear, what is that second boat we stole? I had referred to it as a raft, and you described it as a skiff. To me, a raft is a pretty cheap little thing that isn't even a boat. A skiff however, is a proper boat and worth something. I'm asking because I think a raft would do us just fine, the setting material makes it seem very likely that rafts are common on the rivers (and therefore more likely available), and I don't see Mardo nicking someone's boat unless he knows the person can make do without it.

A raft though, heck, "we're borrowing it!" KnowutImsayin?

Edit: This is holding up the game - I need an aswer before I post Mardo's next action.

Last edited:

Bihlbo

Explorer
A note on learned spells

From what I've gathered, it's a pretty common house rule to allow the number of spells that a character can learn per level to carry over from one level to the next. This means a character could learn a number of new spells equal to casting ability modifier x level. This is mainly because the GM is in total control over when a character has the opportunity to gain XP and study new spells (and in the case of the other two traditions, when new spells are available and what they are). Because the player can't control any of this whatsoever, it's arguable that it's not "fair" to the player to limit them to 3 or 4 new spells whenever the GM feels like it. Then again, it also makes it pretty easy for a GM to control the number of spells available to a character, if that's the goal.

Just throwing that out, for Bobi's sake. :)

Remove ads