Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Bobitron

Explorer
Wow Bihlbo! You are a nut. :)

Thanks a bunch for all the help. I see it as far more in character to know the minimum, I think. Kaela hasn't had contact with other casters nor downtime to play around with experimentation.

So I'll have to look over some spell lists!

Bihlbo

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Wow Bihlbo! You are a nut. :)

Hehe. Don't let nobody tell you that playing a spellcaster is for the faint of heart.

According to the rules and the lore of the setting, Kaela doesn't need any contact with any spellcasters at all in order to learn magic, because she's of the charismatic tradition (read: self-taught). Also, she doesn't necessarily need downtime to learn a new spell. The rules specifically say that charismatic channelers can teach themselves new spells just by fiddling around here and there - the result is simply that it takes more time. So without interrupting anything that Kaela has been doing, she could have been fooling around to learn a new spell. In fact, you could say right now that she'd been working on a new spell for creating acid during this past week, and then make a roll for it. If you succeed, just pay the XP and you learned a new spell! Then it's another couple weeks to learn the next spell, unless you get time to spend doing nothing but experimenting.

Of course, that's just the way the magic system works. It hardly means that Kaela needs to try to learn some new spells. It's all up to you, I'm just helping with the options.

Hrothgar

First Post
Sorry for the delay, guys. Work. Work. Work.

Bihlbo,
I guess when I think of skiff, I am thinking of a small boat, most likely powered by oars. When I think raft, I think of logs tied together with very little mobility. I just checked Wikipedia (ack, I'm so damn lazy), and a skiff is a small, flat-bottomed boat with a square stern and pointed bow. And, just like you said, it can have all these additional specs. So, I think we are talking about the same thing, I guess I should have been more clear. This skiff contains only an oar, and is in a serious state of disrepair. Its previous owner either had no inclination to keep it repaired, or did not have the materials. Regardless, Mardo should feel delighted he has freed a craft from such a terrible owner. ;)

Still, I see what you are saying, especially when it comes to your characters actions. Let's go with skiff for the water craft, but it is in such a serious state of disrepair, the previous owner would fetch little in return for the skiff if bartered.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Love this game! Sorry I haven't been around much, I'll make a point of stopping in more regularly.

I hope I didn't overstep my bounds with that post, but I want to give Bilbho an opportunity to join without an awkward scene.

I'll also apologize if my post was too short or lacking in information. Bilbho, I'm not sure how much you have read of our game, but I'm sure any questions you have can easily be answered by one of us either IC or OOC.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Bobitron said:
I hope I didn't overstep my bounds with that post, but I want to give Bilbho an opportunity to join without an awkward scene.

Lodric senses that Kaela is being controlled by an outside being. Unable to strike directly at the possessing demon named Bobitron, he leaps to the skiff and removes Kaela's tongue to keep her from telling everyone they meet about Aislinn. :p

No problem, I was trying to figure out how we would get Mardo into the group rather than just throwing him overboard.

This is a very tough world to integrate new characters with the general paranoia you need to stay alive.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Love this game!

Me too! :D

Bobitron said:
I'll also apologize if my post was too short or lacking in information. Bilbho, I'm not sure how much you have read of our game, but I'm sure any questions you have can easily be answered by one of us either IC or OOC.

Aside from my shock and amazement that you'd confide in a total stranger about the fact that you are enemies of the Shadow in deep occupied Erenland... ;)

Well, it does present me with a bit of a pickle. It's going to take me a few days to read through everything that's happened in order to get caught up. I'd much prefer a synopsys from someone if that's not asking too much.

I also want to point out that we have no idea what happened to the people of Elswier. One (1) of us heard screams, but I hope I've made it clear IC that as of now Mardo assumes that the "danger" they're running from is specifically hunting yous guys and he should be able to skirt on past with a sly word and perhaps a modest bribe. If Mardo's wrong about that... well...

Bobitron

Explorer
I might have some time at work tonight to whip up a synopsis. Hold tight!

Edit: Man, that was overly optimistic. Maybe Sunday, I'm working that day and don't have a single meeting to slow me down. :)

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Caft was a small farming community that the legates largely ignored. They arrived only to take the town’s bounty. A warband of orcs arriving a month early set the adventure into motion, as the heroes decided to fight or hide as was their nature.

“Orcs! To the west. A war band, just a few minutes behind me. And they have a legate with them.” –Perth of Caft

Uriel, a town leader, begged Kaela to hide his daughter Aislinn. The little girl was blind and helpless, but there was always a lingering though in the mind of the villagers that she was something special that would someday be of importance against the Shadow. Kaela had become a sort of older sister to the girl and agreed. It was revealed that Lorne, another villager, had betrayed the town’s secret in return for Uriel’s wife, who he has lusted after for years.

"We know why the orcs are here. We have tried to keep it a secret, but we have failed. You are familiar with the world outside of Caft, Outlander." Uriel looks Reznik and up and down. "Help us. Flee from this village and take our most precious secret with you. You know of whom I speak. You nursed her back to health! She thinks of you as her sister!" Tears begin to run down Uriel's cheeks. From the west comes the low pitch blat of an orc black horn. Uriel shakes with fear and his eyes lock on both of you. “There is no time! Will you help us!?" –Uriel, leader of Caft and Aislinn’s father

Kaela and Reznik escape with Aislinn as the town is slaughtered and burnt. The others skirmish with the orcs at the edge of town, clearing a path their flight. A decision is made to save Aislinn’s mother from her fate with Lorne before they leave town, with Valurel and Starhl joining the pair. Fleeing the following orcs, it is revealed that Aislinn has some sort of healing powers as she seals Starhl’s wounds with a touch.

He bows awkwardly to Ailsinn. "I... I thank you," he says. "If need be, I will lay down my life to protect you, for in you is the hope of our dark world." -Starhl

Lorne dies by the hero’s blades, but Melin, Aislinn’s mother, must be carried due to her grievous wounds. They rush toward the eastern woods where Aislinn said they might find safety. Melin turns on the heroes, a flesh eating Fell at this point. After destroying the aberration, they reach the ancestor ring, which glows with a faint light. The ring itself defends the heroes against the orcs, wind and lightning striking their foes.

A tunnel opens beneath the heroes and they decide to fell through it rather than risk the open plains. A desperate fight ensues as the pursuers swarm into the pit to destroy the heroes. After a brave stand, the tunnel partially collapses, sealing off the entrance from the onslaught of orcs. Kaela also found a small stone with a rune, buried in the mud and dirt of the tunnel, that has revealed strange and wondrous powers. Aislinn believes it to be touched by the Goddess. It serves to light their path as they descend into the depths of the cavern. After a long walk into the darkness, they find a skeleton holding a blade, which is revealed as Stahrl’s sword, Bjorn's Faith, an ancient weapon against the forces of evil.

Aislinn tells a tale of her vision of the goddess. She explains that she can feel the land’s pain. The goddess explained to her that she had awakened and was angry at the state of the world. She would be the light that would drive the Shadow from the land.

“I could also talk to the land, sense its anger and pain. And I could bring the blessing of the goddess, because, like she told me, I am one of her Chosen.” –Aislinn

Walking through the ruins of an ancient civilization and exiting the cavern, the heroes meet Fallax, a former scholar of Highwall and hermit who has hidden in the dark to escape the Shadow’s notice. His abusive manner and lack of tact make him a difficult companion, but his knowledge of the land and recent events ensure that the heroes need him.

Here ends Book 1, Chapter 1, The Charge.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases