Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Bobitron

Explorer
Chapter 2, Flight

With more questions than answers, the heroes opt to travel south to Highwall, a stronghold of the Shadow, with hope of finding allies. Chased by orcish trackers, they come across the ruined den of a wolf mother and her destroyed family. The wolf would become Starhl’s companion.

A group of worg riders find the heroes and a pitched battle ensues to protect Aislinn. Herger, the giant Dornish warrior, is passing through the area and cannot stand by and let the heroes fight alone. He turns the tide of the battle and joins the group.

Continuing the journey, the heroes are spotted by a group of horsemen who are revealed to be enemies of the shadow. After a misjudged crossbow bolt from the heroes is explained…

Here we lose a portion of the game due to a server issue. The game picks up with Hroth’s synopsis of recent events. We have also now reached a stable group of characters:

Herger (The Giant)
Kaela
Lodric
Starhl
Valurel (The Ghost)

NPCs: Aislinn and Fallax

Starhl and Valurel

Before the database crash, Starhl was speared by a charging Sarcosan on horseback on the wharves surrounding the Blue Sky Traders, both Hero and Shadow-servant spilling into the Ishensa. Valurel and the Wolf followed, Valurel clinging to the back of the Sarcosan as he tore the Sarcosan to shreds, the Wolf jumping afterwards seeing the four orcs charging down the planks. After finishing the Sarcosan, Valurel and Starhl hid under the wharves in the cold river, following the advice of a dark figure hidden in the shadows. After the orcs dispersed to fetch slaves to explore the river (rather than go down to the water themselves given their fear of the liquid), the dark figure quietly moved through the water and around the slimey wood supports deeper into the underbelly of the wharf. The figure paused for Starhl and Valurel to follow...

Kaela and Lodric

Seeing their friends attacked by the orcs, Kaela cast sleep on two orcs that charged the two Heroes (these orcs were standing near the battlesite of the Kaela-charmed dead orc, Ghar.) Lodric dispatched the sleeping foes, but both Heroes were horrified to see Starhl and Valurel overborn into the Ishensa. The six orcs gathered near the edge where Valurel and Starhl fell before sending two of their number south, two continued to stand guard at the site of the fall, and two orcs moved west back along the Blue Sky Traders building.

Herger, Aislinn, and Fallax

The Giant had half-assisted, half-carried the small, blind girl Aislinn down the sword-grass covered slope from the wooded forest on the hills west of the Ishensa. The sounds of battle had come to Herger's ears, but the mile or more distance between him and the river meant the battle would most likely be over before he reached the river.

Split by circumstances, the heroes continue their paths. Lodric and Kaela head for the skeleton oak, a tree where their gnomish benefactor had hinted held an escape, with Fallax, Aislinn, and Herger following. Starhl and Valurel barely escape the battle with their lives and meet with the Blue Sky Traders.

Inspecting the tree, Keala, Herger, and Lodric discover the tree’s hollowed out logs can be used as simple floats, hiding their passage downstream to safety. Stahrl and Valurel convince the Traders they mean no harm and seek only to fight the Shadow.

Using the logs to reach the wharves, the heroes avoid the orcs overhead and meet the others inside the Trader’s hidden safehouse. Aislinn tells her tale and uses her healing powers to convince the gnomes that they should help.

“I have had dreams of late, dreams of a great forest where even the Shadow fears to tread. Into the dark vales I am drawn, where even the forest's creatures fear to tread. What draws me there, I do not know, but I will not fail you. I will be brave.” –Aislinn

After days of hiding underneath the wharves, the gnomes smuggle the heroes away on Bardin’s barge, headed to the town of Baden's Bluff in hopes of meeting the insurgents there.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Chapter Three: Baden's Bluff

The gnomish traders prove true to their word, smuggling the heroes into Baden’s Bluff. Entering the cold water of the city’s quay, the heroes prepare to meet their contact to the insurgency.

“In my heart, I do not know if this girl is tied in any way to our struggle. But, to live with doubt, that I did not do all I could for her...what if she is special? Not to mention, I could not deny any of you my support when you succeeded in making it into the Blue Sky Traders. My fortune smile on you...on all of us.” Bardin, Blue Sky Trader

After a tense meeting with Jodya, the insurgency’s liaison, the heroes sneak down the city’s dark alleys and are soon ambushed by the dark Fell that linger in the fetid water. The creatures swarm up to the docks to do battle and the ensuing racket draws the attention of the orcish patrols. The heroes decided that flight is more important than the fight. Kaela calls up a massive cloud of fog to cover their retreat as they rush for a ruined building in hopes of avoiding attention. Starhl, Kaela, and Jodya linger behind to delay the pursuers as Aislinn and the others flee to safety. Jodya falls behind, sacrificing her life so that the heroes can escape.

Chased by the orcs and in some cases badly wounded, the heroes rush down the alleys in an attempt to shake their pursuers. Even Herger’s act of knocking a rotting wall down to slow the orcs can’t stop their relentless march. To make matters worse, the orcs possess a tracker that can smell the very blood Kaela leaves behind. The channeler uses her ability to put the two trackers to sleep as the heroes once again brave the water in an attempt to flee.

A young Erenlander comes to the rescue, leading the group into a culvert to escape the pursuit. He reveals himself as Bach Bran, a member of the resistance.

“I suppose as long as the Shadow remains, so will people like us, fighting the oppression. Still, risking one's life for a young Dorn girl...that indeed is a story. Even among the insurgents of Baden's Bluff you should be considered Heroes.” –Bach, insurgent of Baden’s Bluff

The rest of the insurgents arrive. Murdoch, the leader of the cell, argues with Ibor over the fate of the heroes. Bach had broken protocols by leaping recklessly to their aid. Kaela notices that Aislinn has caught ill. Inspecting her, she finds swollen infected cysts about her body causing a dangerous fever. The heroes explain their as Kaela and Bowen, the insurgent’s healer, work carefully on Aislinn.

"We flee the shadow for many reasons. The fact that we travel with an elf and bear arms is reason enough for sure. However, it is not why the shadow is so determined to find us. I am afraid that it is the small one whom we protect. I still do not know much of her story. I only know that she is special. I know that when the shadow wants something this badly, there had to be a very good reason.” –Herger, Hero and Giant

Jodya survived her fight on the docks and confirmed the hero’s tale. Murdoch reveals that forces within the town seem to be gathering to counter the hero’s arrival. A decision must be made. The heroes can either flee Baden’s Bluff with the aid of the insurgents, or travel with them to meet the elven representative of Erethor, a potential ally. The matter is considered only briefly as the heroes choose the path that might lead to answers rather than flight.

Discussing Aislinn’s plight with Elaural, the heroes pour out their hearts to show the elven envoy the importance of the situation.

“The land has directed us to you, Elaural. And I do not think that our faith in you is misplaced. Help us. And know that Aislinn is indeed the Hope. Even if she is not the Hope of the world, she is the Hope that burns in our hearts.” –Kaela of Caft

The assembled group falls into argument as the heroes stand and watch helplessly. Some of the insurgents demand that Aislinn should be used as a weapon. Other feel the girl should be hidden from the Shadow. After a tense scene, a decision is made that Aislinn will remain with the heroes and journey to Erethor. Brunhild and Rowan, two fierce insurgents, are chosen to aid the heroes in the quest.

As the group prepares to leave, the darkest point in its history is realized. Ibor and Fallax have plotted to steal Aislinn away.

“Thank you SO much for protecting myself and Aislinn in our taxing journey, Northman. You fool! Treat me like a dog, will you? As a former scholar of Highwall, I demand respect! And I will have you bastard! Aislinn is now mine and I will control the power that has awoken inside of her. All of my research in the Northlands near Caft's ancestor ring - I know who has awoken! I know what power has taken Aislinn! If you only knew! I will rival a Night King when Aislinn's full power is revealed! As for you, dog, here is repayment for the way you have treated me!” –Fallax, traitorous bastard

Fallax calls an orcish patrol down on the heroes as he makes his escape. Murdoch and Lodric pursue, hoping to catch the betrayers in Dulach’s Grove, one of Ibor’s favored hiding places. The heroes struggle against the patrol, refusing to leave the paralyzed Herger behind. A legate arrives on the scene! The fight goes poorly as the heroes battle the overwhelming forces of the Shadow. Both Starhl and Herger fall before the onslaught. The remainder of the heroes slip away, once again relying on flight rather than strength of arms.

Murdoch and Lodric catch the betrayers as they flee. Defeated by magic and blades, they fail to stop the treacherous insurgent and the vile scholar.

Starhl and Herger are left in the sun, crucified by the Shadow’s best tracker, Widowmaker. Slipping into the caves that overlook the scene, the heroes decide to attempt a rescue. Little do they know that they would face not only the orcs that placed their companions on the poles, but Fell as well! The creatures surge up from the water, seeking the hero’s flesh.

"Haha... where does one find companions such as this...” –Starhl, bad motorscooter

The elf known as Elaural stops the Fell’s advance for long enough to free the crucified heroes. Kaela calms the murder from the angry orcs and the group flees back into the caves, desperate to follow Aislinn’s trail.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
That took longer than I expected. I'll try to get to the others over the next few days.

One thing I noticed as I read through- I use the phrase "jaw set with determination" far too often. :)

Hrothgar

First Post
Bobitron
Thanks for the summaries! Nice work. This will help not just Bihlbo, but everyone here.

Wow, we have been through a lot, haven't we? One thing you forgot to mention: in the caverns in Chapter 1, Kaela also found a small stone with a rune that has revealed strange and wondrous powers. Touched by the Goddess, Aislinn once believed.

Bobitron

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Kaela finds her stone here, buried in the mud and dirt of the tunnel. It serves to light their path as they descend into the depths of the cavern. After a long walk into the darkness, they find a skeleton holding a blade, which is revealed as Stahrl’s sword.

I did mention it, but I'll edit in a bit more info. Thanks!

Edited info:

Kaela also found a small stone with a rune, buried in the mud and dirt of the tunnel, that has revealed strange and wondrous powers. Aislinn believes it to be touched by the Goddess. It serves to light their path as they descend into the depths of the cavern. After a long walk into the darkness, they find a skeleton holding a blade, which is revealed as Stahrl’s sword, Bjorn's Faith, an ancient weapon against the forces of evil.

Bobitron

Explorer
Chapter 2 update finished! There is a pretty big hole where we had the server crash, so any insight that can be given about what happened in there is appreciated. I'll edit in anything you guys can give.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Bobitron, thanks so much for the reviews!! I really appreciate it!

Hrothgar, I love the intro of some Fell in the cages. Classic!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases