Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Bobitron said:
Okay, updated Kaela. I did make the change to an Herbalist, dropping some ranks from some social skills to get the needed ones in Craft (Alchemy). Still need to adjust languages per your last post, and I'm still working out the background.

I thought we agree she would be 17? :)

Hrothgar

First Post
Bobitron said:
I don't know how much you want the 'charge' me for the herbal remedies Kaela already made, Hrothgar. I just took a bunch of not so great ones, and assumed they are what she has collected over the last few months. I also took my wealth as herbs she could trade. Let me know of any adjustments you want made.

It looks like a lot, but how many of what Kaela has prepared has been used since the spring (it is early summer)? The two gnaw roots look like something a tired farmer, overworked during the spring planting, could use for some pep. The children and elderly might also require the infused oil for fighting off disease, making Caft one of the healthiest towns in the area. Also, how much of what Kaela has made does she carry on her and how much is in her abode? Rather than me making the suggestions and appearing heavy-handed, I'll let you decide would be fair answers to these questions. Those infused oils and gnaw roots used should be removed from you supplies and designate how much you would carry on your person. Thanks.

Elapse, thanks for making the changes.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
It looks like a lot, but how many of what Kaela has prepared has been used since the spring (it is early summer)? The two gnaw roots look like something a tired farmer, overworked during the spring planting, could use for some pep. The children and elderly might also require the infused oil for fighting off disease, making Caft one of the healthiest towns in the area. Also, how much of what Kaela has made does she carry on her and how much is in her abode? Rather than me making the suggestions and appearing heavy-handed, I'll let you decide would be fair answers to these questions. Those infused oils and gnaw roots used should be removed from you supplies and designate how much you would carry on your person. Thanks.

Elapse, thanks for making the changes.

I think that dropping the gnaw roots down to a few makes sense. I doubt she would carry more than 5 of each, when I consider it. THe oil is nagging me, though. You have to apply it daily for 3 days in order to get the benefit, then continue application at the rate of one dose a day in order to keep the effects. It's just driving me crazy to think that to give someone a +2 bonus to saves vs. poison through the application of herbal medicine for a 24 hour period, I need to give a subject 4 doses over 4 days. Arrrgggghhh! That's why I have so many doses of the oil. I don't see it being a problem to transport them; the book notes hollowed out small animal bones (rodents or birds, I assume) make a good transportation method, so forty doses would probably be under a pound.

In terms of pratical application in the town, she would only apply the oils when needed due to an outbreak of some sort. I think I should probably boost my ranks in Heal to reflect the fact that she is a healer, as well.

Hrothgar

First Post
Bobitron said:
THe oil is nagging me, though. You have to apply it daily for 3 days in order to get the benefit, then continue application at the rate of one dose a day in order to keep the effects. It's just driving me crazy to think that to give someone a +2 bonus to saves vs. poison through the application of herbal medicine for a 24 hour period, I need to give a subject 4 doses over 4 days. Arrrgggghhh! That's why I have so many doses of the oil.

Good point. It seems that the oils might be something that are administered to the nonsick to prevent an outbreak after a few individuals develop sickness. I see no problem keeping all doses in your inventory, whether on you or your place of stay.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Good point. It seems that the oils might be something that are administered to the nonsick to prevent an outbreak after a few individuals develop sickness. I see no problem keeping all doses in your inventory, whether on you or your place of stay.

Thanks. I think I will cut back on the gnaw roots, but I'm going to keep the oils. I'll adjust more as time goes on. :)

Ranger Rick

First Post
Hrothgar said:
RR

The monk has been replaced with the defender, a warrior that uses her own fists, kicks, and improvised weapons to fight the Shadow. Your "at a glance background" works. Just flesh it out and scratch "monestary". :)

Everyone

One thing I would like you to consider is what you envision your character's role would be in Caft. When I open the first scene, I don't want to have your character doing things you would not agree with. Does your character frequent the inn when the sun goes down for some ale? Does she hang out with other outsiders? A loner? Or does she just gather her meal from her employer's wife and sullenly eat her meal in quiet under a knotted pine, thankful for a break from back-breaking toil? I have not given out too many details on the adventure/campaign because I want some input from you on your character's actions. The opening scene should set things up with enough information for role-playing to begin.

Also, do any of the heroes (player characters) interact with each other in Caft? Are any friends? You might wish to consider this when writing up backgrounds.

I look forward to more characters!

BTW, I will not have internet access until Saturday. I'll check back then.

Great I am writing a background now.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Brian grew up with multiple siblings and was the 6th son of a farmer. The farmer was not poor, yet due to his fertile land, the family was not poor. As Brian got older, his family befriended a teacher of self-defense. Banditry seemed to be on the rise and his father wanted some inexpensive protection. For the price of food, Brian was taught the ways of a defender. During a learning session in the teacher’s home, several individuals broke in and seeing Brian and his teacher, they restrained them. Brian overheard the leader talk about how the teaching of such knowledge is bad for the economy and if the teacher persisted with other students, he would be eliminated. Than Brian heard two snaps, followed by the screams of pain that one says after having both leg bones broken.

Brian was quickly subdued into unconsciousness. When he awoke he found himself in a wagon. He was to be transported as a slave he soon found out. Not wanting to be a slave, Brian proceeded to scheme. Brian started to get hungrier and hungrier as his meals where few and far between. Brian knew he had to escape within a few days or be too weak to survive and escape later. Near Craft, Brian saw farm fields and assumed this would be a good place to escape.

Once free of the wagons he needed to hide. Seeing farm laborers, he joined them and was hired the next morning. Until he knows where to go next, he keeps a low profile, and he will just gather his meal from his employer's wife and sullenly eat the meal in quiet under a knotted pine, thankful for a break from back-breaking toil. The work is hard, yet no different from what he is used to. Slowly Brian goes about his daily work, blending in with other migrant workers. Looking for his time to leave.

Personality - Quiet unobtrusive looking and acting human. He believes in right and wrong and does not believe in might is right. He holds his anger in and lets it seethe and build. He is distrusting of strangers, but realizes that strangers are his only way out.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases