Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Bobitron

Explorer
I'll burn the midnight oil to get Kaela caught up tonight. Sorry if I'm holding things up. Excited for the new chapter! It's like a new Harry Potter book or Indiana Jones movie!

Bobitron

Explorer
Wow. This level gain was huge for Kaela. I also noticed a few things in the rules that I missed earlier.

+5 hp
+7 skill points, applied as follows:
+1 Heal
+3 Spellcraft
+1 Knowledge (arcana)
+1 Diplomacy
+1 Concentration
3 new spells, now including the Evocation school (!!!) and up to 3rd level (!!!). I chose Fireball, Deep Slumber, and the ubiquitous Magic Missle.
I had missed my bonus feat from Pureblood, for which I chose Friendly Agent. That puts me up to a +20 Diplomacy check to convince an enemy of Izrador that we're on their side when I combine that feat with my Blood of Kings ability. I also missed my Skill Mastery from Pureblood, which I applied to Heal.

I'm a little confused about Lesser/Greater Evocation and Conjuring. Is that a concept new to Midnight? I looked for more in the book and didn't find any insight. Hopefully it doesn't mean I have to skip Fireball. I'll choose Scorching Ray if I don't have access to my first choice.

Posting now!

maddmic

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Wow. This level gain was huge for Kaela. I also noticed a few things in the rules that I missed earlier.

+5 hp
+7 skill points, applied as follows:
+1 Heal
+3 Spellcraft
+1 Knowledge (arcana)
+1 Diplomacy
+1 Concentration
3 new spells, now including the Evocation school (!!!) and up to 3rd level (!!!). I chose Fireball, Deep Slumber, and the ubiquitous Magic Missle.
I had missed my bonus feat from Pureblood, for which I chose Friendly Agent. That puts me up to a +20 Diplomacy check to convince an enemy of Izrador that we're on their side when I combine that feat with my Blood of Kings ability. I also missed my Skill Mastery from Pureblood, which I applied to Heal.

I'm a little confused about Lesser/Greater Evocation and Conjuring. Is that a concept new to Midnight? I looked for more in the book and didn't find any insight. Hopefully it doesn't mean I have to skip Fireball. I'll choose Scorching Ray if I don't have access to my first choice.

Posting now!

I don't believe that this is new to Midnight, if you mean from Midnight to Midnight 2E. Basically in order to have the greater school, you have to have the corresponding feat (and have met it's requirements.) It's on page 123 in the Midnight 2E hanbook if you have it. The feat is Greater Spellcasting and it's prereqs are Character level 5th, Spellcasting (Lesser Conjuration, or Lesser Evocation).

So, in a nutsehell, unless you have the Greater Spellcasting feat as well as the corresponding Lesser school, you can't take the Greater School. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys. I haven't played a Channeler since the first Midnight book was fresh off the shelf....

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Yes, the Lesser/Greater evocation and conjuration are unique to Midnight. You need a separate feat to be able to cast spells from the Greater school. You have to be a 5th level character with Magecraft and Spellcasting (Lesser Evocation or Conjuration) as a prerequisite to take the Greater Spellcasting feat of the same school.

Spells cast from the Greater schools have a spell energy cost as if the spell is two levels higher.

Magic Missile, Scorching Ray and Fireball all come from the Greater Evocation list. Unless you have the feat, you can't cast any of these spells. You are limited to the Lesser Evocation list right now.

If you really want access to the Greater Evocation spell list, and are willing to pay the higher spell energy for casting them, I would recommend making a switch so your missed Pureblood feat is Lesser Evocation rather than Friendly Agent (your numbers for Diplomacy are already really good and Sense Motive isn't bad), and use your 5th level Channeler Feat to take Greater Evocation.

Hrothgar

First Post
maddmic said:
I don't believe that this is new to Midnight, if you mean from Midnight to Midnight 2E. Basically in order to have the greater school, you have to have the corresponding feat (and have met it's requirements.) It's on page 123 in the Midnight 2E hanbook if you have it. The feat is Greater Spellcasting and it's prereqs are Character level 5th, Spellcasting (Lesser Conjuration, or Lesser Evocation).

So, in a nutsehell, unless you have the Greater Spellcasting feat as well as the corresponding Lesser school, you can't take the Greater School. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys. I haven't played a Channeler since the first Midnight book was fresh off the shelf....

Sheesh! Don't you guys sleep? :)

Bihlbo

Explorer
Bobitron said:
Yeah I guess I mean to Midnight in general. Great School? Is the school's spells split up? The feat description doesn't help.

Seriously, you should go to the Midnight SRD sometime and have a look through the Magic section.

The Greater Spellcasting feat is what you need to gain access to the full list of evocation spells. But Lesser Evocation as a school still has some treats, like sound burst, bestow spell, and channel might.

Bobitron

Explorer
The SRD, just like the normal D20 SRD, is a huge help when I'm looking for specific information, but is hard to just sit there and read for me. Thanks to you and Hrothgar for the links, though, definitely useful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases