Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

Hrothgar

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
Brian grew up with multiple siblings and was the 6th son of a farmer. The farmer was not poor, yet he was land rich and cash poor. As Brian got older, his family decided that Brian could join a local self-defense school. Banditry seemed to be on the rise and his father wanted some inexpensive protection. After class, several individuals broke in and seeing Brian and his teacher, they restrained them. Brian overheard the leader talk about how schools such as this where bad for the economy and if the teacher persisted he would be eliminated. Than Brian heard two snaps, followed by the screams of pain that one says after having both leg bones broken.

RR, the background looks good except for the 1st paragraph. In Erenland, the economy has crumbled since the final war against the Shadow one hundred years prior. Gems, coins, and fine artwork are worthless, unless they can put food into a starving belly, provide shelter, or ward off sickness and disease. Thus, discussion of cash or owning land is not readily applicable in Midnight, although someone might be considered wealthy if they have plenty of food or items for barter. Also, institutions such as schools, especially those that might arm the populace, were destroyed years ago by the Shadow's forces. However, Brian's father might have known a local that secretly trained defenders, providing defense against bandits without using outlawed weapons and armor and attracting the attention of the Legates (Izrador's priests) or their lackeys. Make these changes and I think Brian's background is good to go. :) Remember also the regional modifiers in Northern Erenland to cost when purchasing equipment for Brian in the earlier posts.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Hrothgar said:
RR, the background looks good except for the 1st paragraph. In Erenland, the economy has crumbled since the final war against the Shadow one hundred years prior. Gems, coins, and fine artwork are worthless, unless they can put food into a starving belly, provide shelter, or ward off sickness and disease. Thus, discussion of cash or owning land is not readily applicable in Midnight, although someone might be considered wealthy if they have plenty of food or items for barter. Also, institutions such as schools, especially those that might arm the populace, were destroyed years ago by the Shadow's forces. However, Brian's father might have known a local that secretly trained defenders, providing defense against bandits without using outlawed weapons and armor and attracting the attention of the Legates (Izrador's priests) or their lackeys. Make these changes and I think Brian's background is good to go. :) Remember also the regional modifiers in Northern Erenland to cost when purchasing equipment for Brian in the earlier posts.

Thanks for the FYI update. I will make those changes. I am dong all this by going around the web pages. How do I find regional modifiers?

Hrothgar

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
Thanks for the FYI update. I will make those changes. I am dong all this by going around the web pages. How do I find regional modifiers?

RR
The link Value Points and Worth under the Rules section on this page here has a table with regional modifiers.

Looking at your character, use the website mentioned above to select a race and a heroic path. The choice of human race determines automatic and bonus languages. Choosing languages works differently in Midnight than the Player's Handbook. I posted several posts back about how to handle languages. My first post in this thread lists all the major languages in Eredane; Common is not a language on the continent of Eredane. The closest language to common is Trader's Tongue, which may or may not be a bonus language depending on what human race you select.

Also, where does the +1 bonus to AC come from. Sorry if I missed it somewhere. If it comes from Dodge, list your AC without the bonus, but designate an attacker to me during combat and list your new AC.

Ferrix, K. Lion, are you still interested?

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
Hrothgar said:
RR
The link Value Points and Worth under the Rules section on this page here has a table with regional modifiers.

Looking at your character, use the website mentioned above to select a race and a heroic path. The choice of human race determines automatic and bonus languages. Choosing languages works differently in Midnight than the Player's Handbook. I posted several posts back about how to handle languages. My first post in this thread lists all the major languages in Eredane; Common is not a language on the continent of Eredane. The closest language to common is Trader's Tongue, which may or may not be a bonus language depending on what human race you select.

Also, where does the +1 bonus to AC come from. Sorry if I missed it somewhere. If it comes from Dodge, list your AC without the bonus, but designate an attacker to me during combat and list your new AC.

Ferrix, K. Lion, are you still interested?

The heroic path is profesional. I got that at the website you mentioned in post xx.
The ac bonus is from my defender class.
I will look up the human races and I know language is a bit much I need to do more reseach.

Hrothgar

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
The heroic path is profesional. I got that at the website you mentioned in post xx.
The ac bonus is from my defender class.
I will look up the human races and I know language is a bit much I need to do more reseach.

RR
Thanks for clarifying and making the changes to your character's history. :)

As for heroic paths, did you mean Steelblooded instead of Professional? I am not familiar with Professional.

Also, I assume you are playing an Erenlander, those of mixed Sarcosan and Dorn descent. As such, what exotic weapon do you choose to be familiar with? A Dornish or Sarcosan weapon? The massive Dorns favor heavy weapons such as bastard swords while the lithe Sarcosans favor the cedeku (small weapon, DMG 1d6), a curved shortsword/long knife.

Characters completed:
Reznik played by Elapse
Starhl Ikehal played by Krug

Characters still in the works but almost done:
Kaela played by Bobitron (needs background, appearance, and languages)
Brian Brou played by Ranger Rick (needs what I mentioned above)

Characters on the way
??? played by Brother Shatterstone

Characters at all?
Ferrix and K. Lion, are you still in? If I don't hear from you by Wednesday, I will move you to alternates for a week before dropping you. If characters are not completed in this time and we have not started, I will open the game to recruit another player or two and you may lose your spot.

I am willing to start with five characters so once additions are made and BS gets his character in, we will start! Yes!

Hrothgar

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
Professional I got from the site you first sent me to here: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2515135&postcount=9. I would think having escaped with nothing and farm labor is not much, I would have nothing except a cedeku and the clothes on my back?

Ah, now I see the confusion. Sorry about that. Try here for heroic paths found in the Midnight 2E book. You will have more of a selection. Steelblooded seemed a perfect fit for your character so that is what I assumed. The heroic paths at www.AgainsttheShadow.org are all fan submitted and I am not sure if they are all compliant with 3.5. If you want to play a Professional, that is fine with me, but some heroic paths in Midnight 2E will pack more of a punch (sorry for the pun!) like Steelblooded, Painless, etc.

I like the image your character inspires in my mind. Sounds like a great Midnight starting character. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases