[Grim Tales] Weapon groups in Grim Tales?

Flynn

First Post
Good morning, All,

I have a question regarding the use of Weapon Group proficiencies with Grim Tales. I'd like to use Weapon Group proficiencies similar to those from Unearthed Arcana or Traveller T20 instead of the standard Simple, Martial and Exotic weapon proficiencies. I've used them before in both T20 and my regular D&D game, and I haven't seen a negative impact. (I like the flavor they add, actually.)

First, do you think this would be unbalancing?

Second, how would you grant default weapon groups by class?

My thoughts on the second question are as follows: If a class only has access to Simple weapons only, then I would allow them to have Basic weapons, plus any one other Weapon Group. If a class has access to Simple and one Martial weapon, then I'd allow them Basic weapons plus any two other Weapon Groups. If they had access to all Martial weapons, then I'd allow them Basic weapons plus any three other Weapon Groups.

The weapon groups I'm currently considering are:

From Unearthed Arcana:
Axes
Basic Weapons
Bows
Close Combat (formerly Claw weapons, with shield and armor spikes thrown in)
Crossbows
Exotic Double Weapon
Exotic Weapon
Flail and Chains
Heavy Blades
Light Blades
Maces and Clubs
Martial Arts Weapons (formerly Monk weapons)
Picks and Hammers
Polearms
Slings and Thrown Weapons
Spears and Lances

Inspired by T20:
Blackpowder Weapons
Personal Firearms
Seige/Field Artillery Weapons
Energy Weapons
Combat Rifleman
Ship's Weapons

I may collapse some of them into one another, but haven't decided yet. What do you think?

Thanks for your input,
Flynn

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
What he said.

Though I'd probably collapse some of those groups down. Your number of groups is quickly approaching the number of weapons in the game.

--fje

Flynn

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
What he said.

Though I'd probably collapse some of those groups down. Your number of groups is quickly approaching the number of weapons in the game.

--fje

Hehehe. I know. It's how Unearthed Arcana layed them all out. I will definitely be considering what I can do to bring things down into a more managable set of groups. Any thoughts?

-Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Shrinking down the weapon groups...

Flynn said:
I may collapse some of them into one another, but haven't decided yet. What do you think?

How about the following weapon groups?

* Archery Weapons (contains bows and crossbows)
* Bladesman (contains heavy blades and light blades)
* Close Combat (formerly Claw weapons, with shield and armor spikes thrown in)
* Martial Arts Weapons
* Hinged Weapons (Flails and chains)
* Hafted Weapons (Axes, maces and clubs, picks and hammers)
* Polearms (includes polearms, staves, spears and lances)
* Slings and Thrown Weapons
* Personal Firearms (includes black powder weapons, etc.)
* Heavy Weapons (includes seige weapons, field artillery and vehicular weapons)
* Advanced Weaponry (for those exotic laser/blaster/energy ranged weapons that just crop up every once in a while)

Hope this helps,
Flynn

tjoneslo

First Post
I would put Spears and Lances together with Polearms. I would put Axes, Maces and Clubs, and Picks and Hammers together. Combine Close Combat and Martial Arts weapons.

Consider a "Improvised Weapon" group. It may help is getting rid of the close combat and martial arts weapons groups. You may also want a Riding weapons group, to cover use of weapons from horseback.

Flynn

First Post
My apologies for the late reply...

tjoneslo,

It is a pleasure to hear from you on these forums. My apologies for the late reply. I will probably implement your suggestions, as they coincide with mine. This campaign won't be starting until next Spring, so I've got plenty of time to set everything up, including the use of Psychic's Handbook as the source for "powers" in the setting I'm designing. :)

I've always wanted to run a sword-and-planet campaign, and Grim Tales looks like it'll give me what I want. :)

Take care,
Flynn

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Flynn said:
I've always wanted to run a sword-and-planet campaign, and Grim Tales looks like it'll give me what I want. :)

If that's true then Slavelords of Cydonia will really give you what you want.

Sorry, I meant to say, the ENnie Nominated "Best Adventure" Slavelords of Cydonia. (see sig)

Wulf

Flynn

First Post
Slavelords!

Wulf Ratbane said:
If that's true then Slavelords of Cydonia will really give you what you want.

Sorry, I meant to say, the ENnie Nominated "Best Adventure" Slavelords of Cydonia. (see sig)

Wulf

Wulf,

Slavelords of Cydonia was what sold me on Grim Tales, to begin with. :) It's the single best campaign sourcebook I've ever seen, and I will be stealing from it liberally for my sword-and-planet campaign.

Of course, between now and then, I'm sure to have lots of questions. :D

Thank you for all your hard work,
Flynn

Remove ads