Post your recipes

reveal

Adventurer
I love, LOVE, food. I'll try anything once and have found there is a lot of good food out there, waiting to be devoured. With that in mind, I think it would be cool to see what other EN Worlders have in their recipe box. Post recipes for food you've either made or eaten that you think is just really, really tasty. I'll start. :D

This is one of my all time favorites and I've had people tell me it's one of the best things they've ever eaten.

Turkey Couscous Salad

Ingredients
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dry couscous
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced (I use a few dashes of ground ginger myself)
3/4 cup light mayonnaise, or regular (either works just as well; I usually use light)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup sliced green onions
2 medium oranges, peeled & chopped (I usually use a can of mandarin oranges, drained)
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved

Directions

1. Combine broth, curry powder and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, raisins and ginger. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff couscous mixture with a fork. Cool to room temperature.

2. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and lemon juice in large bowl. Stir in turkey, celery, and onions until well coated. Fold in couscous mixture, oranges, and grapes.

3. Refrigerate, covered, 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Breyer's Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Directions
---------
1. Purchase product at store.
2. Open box
3. Get spoon
4. Eat until finished.

Sadly, there are times I could do just that....

Now, if I had it in front of me, I'd be more on topic by posting the recipe to the Mocha/Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake that I make, but that would require me actually finding the recipe, which is somewhere in my kitchen...

Acquana

First Post
These are a couple my mom use.

Mom’s Chip cookies

¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
(blend these)
add 1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 egg

another bowl
1 ¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

take that, blend them together
Stir in chips
chill for 1 hr
bake 8 – 10 min

Mom’s Dressing (Cornbread Stuffing)

This one is a classic at family gatherings. Mom has to make tons of it in order to keep any for leftovers.

Cornbread:
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
¼ cup shortening; ¼ cup vegetable oil
1 egg

Bake cornbread until golden brown around edges. Take cornbread, crumble and place in large mixing bowl.

1 stick margarine (melted)
1 head leafy celery
1 small white onion
1 bunch green onions
1 small bell pepper

Chop half of small onion, add to butter. Dice ½ celery (keep leaves). Cut all bell pepper. Wash green onions, cut off onion bit, chop them. Sautee, keep cooking mixture until soft. Place into crumbled corn bread. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 1 ½ tsp sage and 5 cans chicken broth

Put into baking pan, bake until browned on top. To keep moist, dribble more broth over the top periodically.

kirinke

First Post
Clear out the Fridge Salad

Ingredients
Fresh Italian parsley, shredded
Fresh Basil, shredded
Fresh Thyme
Lettuce (green leaf, red leaf, romain doesn't matter or mix and match to taste)
Baby leaf spinach
Carrots
Cucumbers
Green, gold and red bell peppers
Green and red grapes
Cooked chicken or turkey. (Optional)
Cut fresh pineapple
Crutons
Real bacon bits (optional)
Favorite Salad dressing
Salt
Pepper

Directions
Do not wash the Crutons or meat! ;) :] :cool:
Wash veggies and lettuce throughly. Drain and let dry for 10 minutes. Chop all that needs to be chopped. Shred all that needs to be shredded. Put into a bowl big enough to hold all the ingredients. Toss the salad so that the greens, crutons and veggies are mixed throughly. Serve with your favorite salad dressing and real bacon bits. Salt and pepper to taste

A salad is a great and easy recipe to make. Basically, just clean out your crisper and mix and match, seeing what tastes good. I've actually used the above basic recipe and it was right tasty.

Note, if you do use Thyme, strip the leaves from the woody twig, which isn't too good to eat. And the moment you start to smell it in the salad is when you have enough. The basil and italian leaf parsley are really, really good in salads. When you use ranch dressing, the pineapple and grapes give it a nice sweet and sour taste.

Last edited:

caudor

Adventurer
My family calls it Gulash (I'm sure Gulash is actually something else), but here you go:

Ingrediants:
1 can of Ranch Style Beans
1 can of corn
1/4 cup Ketchup
Fritoes
1 lb of hamburger meat

Simple to cook: Brown the hamburger meat. Add the Ketchup and stir. Then add the Ranch Style beans. Drain the corn and add. Continue to heat and stir until hot.

Spread the Fritoes on a plate and then spoon the Gulash to the top. Some folks like to add shredded cheese to the top as well.

It is really tastey :)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Just made this one last night - don't really have a good name for it. They sound a bit odd, and are a bit of work to make, but they are delicious.

Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas

2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 15 oz. can of black beans
1 small onion, diced
1-2 cloves minced garlic
~1 tsp. chopped green chilie (more or less to taste)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 sweet red pepper
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
shredded mexican cheese
salsa
soft flour tortillas
sour cream

Peel the sweet potatoes, chop them and boil for ~10 minutes until soft.
sautee one half the onion with garlic and green chilie
drain and rinse the black beans
combine the sweet potatoes, beans and sauteed onion, garlic and chilie, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend into a paste. Set aside.

Sautee the remaining onion, the yellow squash, zucchini, and red pepper.
Drain the excess liquid from the Rotel tomatoes and add the tomatoes to the sautee pan.
add ground cumin and corriander to taste (I have no idea how much I add here, probably 1-2 tsp each).
cook over medium heat for another 4-5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
spoon a small amount of salsa into the bottom of the pan and spread it out so enchilidas won't dry out too much.
Spoon sweet potato/black bean mix into a flour tortilla.
Add squash/pepper sautee.
Fold the tortilla and place in baking pan, fold side down
repeat until the baking pan is full (I usually get 5 or 6 into one pan).
spread salsa over the top of enchiladas
Sprinkle with mexican cheese
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for 10 additional minutes.
Serve and top with sour cream.

I usually end up with more filling than needed for the 5 or 6 enchiladas I can fit in the pan. If so, I will either make additional enchiladas (usually another three or four), or a freeze the excess fillings for later use.

Made this the other night, and it was very tasty. This one is going into my recipe box for future use for sure. (and to give proper credit, I found it at http://teriskitchen.com/pork/loinroast-a.html)

ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH MUSTARD AND HERBS

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* One boneless pork loin roast, about 2-1/2 pounds
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 cup water
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix together the garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and sage on a working surface. Chop and smooth with a knife until somewhat pasty. Place in a small bowl; add the mustard and combine well. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Rub the mustard mixture all over. Heat a 10-inch skillet over high heat. Add the oil. Place the roast in the pan, fat side down. Sear for about 3 minutes or until well-browned. Turn and place in the oven. Roast, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pork registers 155°, about 60 minutes. Remove from oven and place roast on cutting surface. Tent with foil. Let rest while you prepare the sauce. Place the skillet over high heat. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up all of the browned pieces. Add the water and vinegar; reduce by one-third. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in the butter until melted. Cut the pork to desired thickness, about 1/2-inch slices. Place on individual serving dishes and top with some of the sauce. Serve immediately.

reveal

Adventurer
Thornir Alekeg said:
Just made this one last night - don't really have a good name for it. They sound a bit odd, and are a bit of work to make, but they are delicious.

Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas

Yummy! I'll have to try that next week. :)

Chaldfont

First Post
Alton Brown is my hero. We've gotten so many good recipes from his show & books.

We make his pouch recipes all the time, with some of our own modifications.

His mac-n-cheese recipe is amazing, we are making it for our Thursday night game this week. And you have to try his left-over fried mac-n-cheese with hot sauce. Its awesome.

Here's a food recipe you don't see very often: Home-made beer! I've been doing it since Christmas. It's a lot of fun and not that hard to make really good beer. Here's my personal favorite

Gulla

Adventurer
Hmm, how about a few (I believe) typically norwegian dishes? I normally make these from memory and without measuring so most of these are approximations (or more precicely guessimates ;) ). And please bear with me if some ingredients seem to be nonsense. I blame the dictionary, and when in doubt try to use what is marked as British English

"Veiled farmer girls" (in Norwegian: Tilslørte bondepiker)

0.5 litres Full Cream
0.5 litres Breadcrumbs (dry, not fresh.)
0.2-0.3 litres Sugar
1 litre Apple Sauce (Thats what the dictionary tells me. It is supposed to be mashed apples sort of like jam)

1. Mix breadcrumbs and sugar in a warm pan and stir until the sugar starts caramelizing (turns brow). Cool and crush. (Strictly speaking if you have so much sugar that you need to crush it again that is a little bit too much sugar)

2. Whip the cream.

3. Find a glass bowl. layer the ingredients starting with crumbs, then a little less than half th apple sauce, the crumbs, then a little less than half the whipped cream then, crumbs then the rest of the apple sauce then the rest of the crumbs and then cover it with the rest of the cream.

4. Serve chilled as a dessert.

Lamb in Cabbage (Norwegian: Får-i-kål)

1.5 kg Mutton (Preferably shoulder) cut in pieces about the size of a fist
1.5 kg Cabbage
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper (whole, not ground)

Put a little butter or margarine in the bottom of a large kettle. Layer cabbage (cut in segments, that is 'large pieces') and mutton in the kettle starting and ending with cabbage. Drizzle some salt and pepper on each layer of mutton.

Add water until a little below the top (approx 0.4-0.5 litres) and boil/simmer under a lid until the meat is tender (and then some.) Normally 90-120 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes.

Håkon

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases