Clutches of Evil - OOC Thread

jkason

First Post
While we're on the subject of what to buy: Byntrou only knows two spells that require material components, and both of those are focus spells (component not expended with the spell). Gav supplied the focus for one, which just leaves the crystal he'd need for Read Magic. Given that, I figure Byn doesn't really need a full spell component pouch (though probably some kind of belt pouch). Would he be able to buy a crystal/prism somewhere separately, or is it spell pouch or nothing?

jason

unleashed

First Post
I scrapped read magic from my list for just that reason (Nonlethal Force: my spells as listed when praying have changed both there and on my sheet--due to the fact I realised I didn't have the components for some of them). We probably won't need read magic until later anyway, so I doubt you'll miss it too much for a single outing.

Just put your components in a pocket, you don't need a fancy belt pouch...what will Byntrou want next a bedroll, perhaps his very own backpack. ;) :p

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I already gave you an emerald ... now you want a crystal? :p

Yeah, that should be no problem. Byntrou should be able to pick up a crystal in the marketplace. I think that I have said before that this is a relatively high magic world - meaning there are places to buy spell components. That isn't to say that magic items are "place an order and pick up later," though. As far as a simple crystal goes ... that should be easily enough found.

And there is no need to have a spell pouch if none of the spell Byntrou is using need components other than the foci already accounted for. I don't have a problem with it.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
jkason - I was just parousing the E-mail you send a month or so back just to make sure I had the character sheets all correct and I think I may have found an error. Of course, its been a month or so so you may well have caught it by now. Since you sent me the sheet, I'll try and tell you where it is without giving away any secrets! The feat you took at 1st level, I'm not sure you included its benefits as far as checks go. Like I said, you may have caught it by now ... but just in case you didn't, I did.

jkason

First Post
Yeah. You actually emailed me about it when I first sent the sheet. So it's fixed on my end, too. But thanks for checking. :)

I'm debating putting the whole sheet up sometime in the near future. The biggest secret was out when Byntrou raged in combat, I'd say (actually, I thought it was out of the bag when he chose two martial weapons a sorcerer shouldn't be able to use, but no one seemed to notice). But since the character's still keeping the exact level of his sorcery skills close to the vest, I may hold off a bit.

And, since I think we're keeping the emerald to avoid suspicion for stealing Dreeves' purse, I had the mischievous thought that I might be able to call a gem a kind of prism for purposes of the spell (though that'd be quite an expensive little focus :eek: ). Having a much cheaper version, though, would be a better option, so I'll take that. heh.

jason

unleashed

First Post
Actually we just didn't care about your choice of weapons...plus who knows anything about Bous and their ability with weapons. ;) :lol:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
mg2001 - the book specifically states that flurry only works when unarmored. So, you put armor on, no flurry.

Now, regarding the armor spikes - armor spikes deal damage when grappling. So, to deal damage with armor spikes you must first make a successful grapple attempt and do regular damage. The description specifically says armor spikes do "extra" piercing damage when grappling - meaning over and above what normally is done. Therefore, it would be done in addition to any abilities/feats that allow damage to occur on a successful grapple/pin. They are martial - and your barb levels grant you martial prof so that's not an issue.

You can try to use them as a regular attack - but in this case they count as a light weapon and would be in place of other attacks you would make. If you have TWF or desire to make an off-hand attack with them that is allowable at the appropriate penalties. Of course, should you make an offhand attack with something else, you cannot also make an offhand attack with the spikes. Clear?

Basically, it is saying that if you grapple, the damage is in addition. If you regular attack, the spikes are treated just like any other weapon. You can do with them what you could with another weapon ... but you may not use them in conjunction with another weapon. Additionally, down the road ... you may get them enhanced - but please remember that you would need to enhance the spikes for offense and seperately enhance the armor for defense.

And ... about the helmet spike. This is what you posted in the other thread:

mg2001 said:
Can i use a helmet spike:
simple weapon
1d8 damage x3 crit only usable while charging

I've thought about it and I was going to impose a penalty because you can't watch your opponent as you charge. But it is a simple weapon and restricted already by the fact that it can only be used as a charge. The 1d8 crit:x3 is akin to two-handed simple weapon damage and that is acceptable since it is only usable on a charge. Assuming all this is acceptable, then you can order yourself up a helmet spike.

Unleashed - I forgot to say this earlier - the spell swaps are perfectly fine. And your assumption about Read Magic is sound ... although just to spite you now I'm going to add a scroll into the treasure that Read Magic would help to read! :p JK, of course.

jkason - Up to you if you want to post it or when you want to post it. If you decide not to post it, just E-mail me periodic updates anytime something big happens (like a new weapon, or you level-up). You don't need to worry about updating things like mundane items as I'll catch those the next time you level.

D20 - I've really got nothing to add here, but I didn't want you to feel left out since you weren't going to get a pesonal note! :D

Last edited:

Thibbledorf Pwent
[sblock]Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1

XP: 9720

Height: 4'4''
Weight: 231
Eyes: Gray
Hair: Bald, Beard, Waist Length, Dark Brown
Skin: Dirty

STR: 16 [+3] (10 points)
DEX: 14 [+2] (6 points )
CON: 16 [+3] (10 points)
INT: 10 [+0] (2 points )
WIS: 12 [+1] (4 points)
CHA: 8 [-1] (0 points)

Hit Dice: 2d8 + 1d12
HP: 33
Armor Class: 13 (10 base + 2 Dex +5 Armor)
Initiative: +1
BAB: +2
- Melee: +5
- Ranged: +4

Speed: 30’

FORT: +8 (5 Base + 3 Con)
REFL: +5 (3 Base + 2 Dex)
WILL: +4 (3 Base + 1 Wis)

Abilities:
- 3 Bonus Feats
- 6 skill points
- Count as armed when unarmed (1d6)
- Flurry of blows
- Rage 1/day
- Fast movement

Feats:
1st Level
- Earth's Embrace
1st Level (human)
- Flying Kick
1st Level(monk)
- Improved Grapple
2nd Level(monk)
- Combat Reflexes
3rd Level
- Power Attack

Skills:
Spot +7 (6 ranks, +1 Wis)
Jump +11 (6 ranks, +3 Str, +2 Synergy)
Listen +7 (6 ranks +1 Wis)
Climb +9 (6 ranks, +3 Str)
Survival +2 (1 rank +1 Wis)
Tumble +8 (5 ranks, +4 Dex, +2 Synergy)

Languages:
- Common
- Dwarven

Equipment:
Melee weapons
-Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+3, *2)
-Armor spikes +5 (1d4+2, *2)
-Helmet Spike +5 (1d8+4, *3)

Ranged weapons
-

Mundane equipment
-Peasants Outfit (1sp, 2lbs)

Weight carried:0lbs
[/sblock]
I counted the helmet spike as a 2handed weapon for damage is that alright?

Last edited:

Remove ads