Clutches of Evil - OOC Thread

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Barak said:
Well you did mention it in the very first post.. ;)

Oh, crap. I did. Didn't even realize it ... but that's what I get for posting late at night. Dude - totally sorry. It was an honest mistake. Seriously, I wasn't even thinking about it. Trust me, from now on - Destiny is going to react to Gav as though he is just a young human - until such a time as it is figured out.

Now that I feel like a schmuck as a DM ... lets move on to the Oathbreaker thing. Daz, I'll give you some options as to where you want to go with this Oathbreaker thing:

A. Bigtime Quest - probably not resolved until the characters are high level. Realizing, of course, that this may never happen in-game and if it does it may be years down the road IRL. The example I am thinking of is something along the lines of the Oathbreaker is a renegade evil Bous who has stolen the Shield of the Proto-Boes. For reference and statistics, see Shield of the Resolute, Complete Divine p. 101 - except that obviously it pertains to the Boes (not dwarves) and it isnot Moradin who is worshiped. The Shield of the Proto-Boes is made up of many piece of the first armor of the Boes who were originally bred from Minotaur kind centuries (if not millenia) ago. Nobody knows how long this shield has been in existance. The Proto-Boes are the ones who were bred from minotaur stock (and thus technically half minotaur) and who fought against the Minotaur to win their friendom from their evil and hatred. Over the time that has passed, much of the Minotaur DNA has been lost and the modern Boes race has evolved into what it is today. This shield is the pinnacle of all Boes hope in the world. It is what reminds them to never fall prey to their own anger and revert back to their ancestry. It is what many Boes look to as strength to use their strength for positive means rather than selfish gain. Unfortunately, a nasty, evil Boes stole it and has been named the Oathbreaker.

B. Medium level quest. Designed for levels 7-10. The Oathbreaker is a mage/psionic/whatever class fits that is intentionally expiramenting on Boes to try and blend human ingenuity with the Boes vitality and strength. Unfortunately, many of the expiraments are fatal to the Boes who are captured for scientific purposes. Legend has it that persecution will come upon the Boes by an outside force, but two special Boes will rally a group of unlikely heroes to seek out this Oathbreaker and destroy him/her. Once their persecution is made public and the threat is dealt with, the Boes will become lifted up and more respected throughout the land.

C. Low-level: A xenophobic human/dwarf/duergar/drow/illithid/whatever has decided that the Boes are a plague upon the people. This xenophobic leader is intentionally leading out massive raiding parties and slaughtering all Boes without question. The legend of the Oathbreaker says that two Boes will rise up, rallying support from the other races that share the land, and free the Boes from this persecution. Once their persecution is made public and the threat is dealt with, the Boes will become lifted up and more respected throughout the land.

... Or, something along those lines. So - I'll let primarily you and jkason figure out what makes the most sense in regard to a quest. Something reachable - or something glorious but far off.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Barak - I know it is of little consequence now, but I feel bad. I just want to let you know that I edited the intro post so as to remove the reference of your character's race. Like I said, it was a mistake on my part that I feel really bad about. I am sure that the rest of the party will play along with Gav's not knowing his true race. But you are right. Eventually someone will wonder why he isn't growing. Perhaps even Gav himself!

Anyway, I feel bad. If I ever do anything grievously wrong like that again, please tell me as soon as you notice it. Here I was trying to make sure that I made everyone feel included - and I screwed up. Sorry!

jkason

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Daz, I'll give you some options as to where you want to go with this Oathbreaker thing:

[snip]

I'll let primarily you and jkason figure out what makes the most sense in regard to a quest. Something reachable - or something glorious but far off.

I'd personally vote for the medium level stuff at the lowest. I think it's kind of a fun plot device, and I'd like to have it around to play with for awhile. Sometimes we'll wind up places blindly trying to find leads (what brought us to town pre-game). Sometimes we'll join one adventure or another because we think it's connected to the Oathbreaker (or that our employer has information on same that he'll only share after the quest) only to find we've been mislead. Sometimes we'll find real leads, but even then we might have snatched out from under us before we can fully exploit them (damn those convenient assasinations mid-reveal...). Sometimes we'll be sidetracked altogether by unrelated events (like, say, midnight robberies). Eventually, it all builds to the final confrontation with the Oathbreaker. Along the way, of course, we wind up spinning out other long-range plot threads which can come back to haunt us both before and after the Oathbreaker's dealt with.

Kind of gives a neat through-line to the campaign that way, I think. Of course, this is far more Daz's thing than mine, so I'm good with whatever he decides.

jason

Barak

First Post
Dude.. Relax. :) I'm pretty sure I'm about the only one who noticed, for one. Also, I never really intended for that to be pervasive as to whom Gav is, to his core. I fully expect for him to realize in 2-3 levels (for lack of a better time-span) at the max that he is an halfling, in one way or another. It's just kinda fun to play a lil humn rogue, and that's the easiest way to do wo within the rules. It also gives him more of a contact with others, as he probably seeks more protection then he might if he realized he was an adult.

Edit: Then again. Yeah, it's horrible, and you should feel like crap! Gav -did- show up -after- the robbery took place, right? Right? :]

:p

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Hey Daz, just noticed in your last post that you are referring to a dwarf. If that is meant to be towards Pwent (mg2001's character) you should realize he had a last minute race change to human. Tis okay, it took me a little while to get it in my mind he was human and not a dwarf....

Nonlethal Force

First Post
True ... true. But I'm not going to change the guys name! Maybe he was a human raised among dwarves who gave the name out of their dwarven sense of humor? Who knows? lol

jkason

First Post
Well, Bahruul's still, what, 7 feet tall? So he might still consider a 6 foot something human a "dwarf" ;)

Amusingly, I picked Byntrou's height to be short for a Bous but tall for a human, figuring he's still be visually impressive. Turns out, he's the shortest party member who isn't from a Small race. :lol:

jason

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases