Can the "Cast on the Defensive" manuver be used during the "Read a Scroll" action?

entr0py

First Post
Abraxas said:
Only if not used to cast Summon Undead :lol:
;)

seriously, while the "Cast a Spell" and "Read a Scroll" actions are similar, there are differences. But being new to the 3.5e caster scene, i've never heard this discussed. Looking for an "official" answer, if such exists.

Scharlata

First Post
entr0py said:
;)

seriously, while the "Cast a Spell" and "Read a Scroll" actions are similar, there are differences. But being new to the 3.5e caster scene, i've never heard this discussed. Looking for an "official" answer, if such exists.

Don't know why not. You just read the spell from the scroll and may use the Casting on the Defensive option, since casting a spell from a scroll provokes AoOs. Using a wand does not provoke AoOs.

Kind regards

reveal

Adventurer
Both casting a spell and using a scroll are actions that provoke AoOs. While there is nothing in the SRD that says "yah or nay" on whether you can cast on the defensive while using a scroll, this selection sheds some light on it.

SRD said:
A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.

Emphasis mine. Since it's "basically like casting a spell," I'd say you can use it while casting on the defensive.

the Jester

Legend
Good question. I'd say that, by the RAW, you can't read a scroll on the defensive; and though it's a reasonable interpretation of reveal's quote to say you can, I'd rule against.

Why?, you ask, and I shall answer.

Because you have to read the scroll. You have to look away from your enemy. You have to focus on the characters on the scroll. I can't imagine keeping your guard thoroughly up while reading, especially something as mind-bending as a scroll (I mean, you can have mishaps reading scrolls above your level!).

That's how I would rule, but I think (as I said) that it's reasonable to rule either way. :)

Abraxas

Explorer
Yeah, its the "Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell" line that makes me think that it should be allowed - perhaps there is more info in complete arcane?

reveal

Adventurer
Abraxas said:
Yeah, its the "Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell" line that makes me think that it should be allowed - perhaps there is more info in complete arcane?

Good point. I looked it up and, on page 138, it lists Potions and Scrolls. It lists the basic characteristics of both, in separate lists. Both contain the following point: "Use provokes attacks of opportunity."

I know you cannot use a potion on the defensive. Considering both contain the same basics listed and there's nothing that says you can avoid the AoO, I may be swayed to say you can't use a scroll on the defensive.

Corsair

First Post
reveal said:
Good point. I looked it up and, on page 138, it lists Potions and Scrolls. It lists the basic characteristics of both, in separate lists. Both contain the following point: "Use provokes attacks of opportunity."

I know you cannot use a potion on the defensive. Considering both contain the same basics listed and there's nothing that says you can avoid the AoO, I may be swayed to say you can't use a scroll on the defensive.

And nowhere does it say "drinking a potion is basically like casting a spell".

Ero Gaki

First Post
Actually you can cast a scroll on the defensive. If you look under the "Activate Magic Item" section in the Combat chapter, it stats : "Activating a spell completion item, such as a scroll, is the equivalent of casting a spell. It requires concentration and provokes attacks of opportunity. You lose the spell if your concentration is broken, and you can attempt to activate the item while on the defensive, as with casting a spell."

Remove ads