Gentlemen Magicians

Stormborn

Explorer
My current campaign is winding down in the next month or so, and while our group has a several on-again-off-again campaigns and some more to come, several of us have been reading Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel (although I am not done with it so no spoilers please) and I was thinking about running short campaign, possibly a one shot, in which all the PCs are "Gentlemen Magicians". Set in the 1800s the PCs would be English or American members of an upperclass gentleman's (although perhaps with the inclusion of a woman for the sake of scandal) club devoted to magical study and investigation.

I am thinking of using d20 Modern (and yes I can hear the cries for Grim Tales even as I type, but its not for my group) and use some settign stuff from various books, possibly with some GURPS Napoleon for setting stuff, possibly the club will be the "Delta Society" founded by John Dee and the predecesor of Delta Green.

My main questions concern the magic system- I want something more flavorful than standard d20M magic. I have Modern Magic by Game Mechanics, and some of that might work, Elements of Magic, Black Company, and several other variant magic systems.

What system do you think would capture the feel of post-enlightment, late 1700 or early 1800's magic in England or America? If you only did one plot, what would it be?

malladin

Explorer
If you can wait a couple of months you absolutely definately want to take a look at Etherscope. While the game mixes victoriana and cyberpunk, the system elements can easily be used to run either or. In terms of magic systems for a nineteenth century game, Etherscope has exactly what you need - a nice simple skills based system that's not too powerful and works well in support of investigative play. Plus the classes are close to D20 Modern, but much better flavoured for the type of game you seem to be thinking of.

Cheerio,

Ben

Stormborn

Explorer
You know, I have had my eye on Etherscope since I saw the first blurbs about (ages ago seems like.) I don't know if thats exactly what I have in mind, but its certainly something I will look into when it comes out.

Any other ideas?

arscott

First Post
Except for the divination, almost all of the spells in the book are of epic level power. The only real exception is bringing back the dead (a 5th level spell in D&D terms), and that's completely beyond the grasp of mortal magic.

If your PCs will be gentlemen (nonspellcasting) magicians, why actually use a magic system at all? why not just use DM fiat?

As Mr. Mayhem just mentioned, Elements of Magic - Mythic Earth might fit your bill. It's a skill-based spell creation system designed to work with d20 Modern and D&D, with a heavy emphasis on letting players and GMs add whatever sort of flavor they desire to their game's magic. The book itself focuses on recreating spellcasting traditions from real-world myths, but you can easily create your own unique types of magic.

With regards to release date, it should be out later this month, just in time for you. The text is wrapped up, art will be in this week, and I hope to get it on sale, finally. Due to some truly weird circumstances, every one of my standard stable of artists was unable to do illustrations, except one, hence the delay.

If you're interested, I will be putting up a teaser in the next few days.

Quickleaf

Legend
Go Ars Magic all the way. I'd get the free .pdf 4th edition from Atlas's website/rpgnow, and I'd also buy the 4th ed .pdf called "Mysteries" which details secret mystical societies, many with real world basis. Your campaign idea sounds great! I think the conspiratorial feel would be wonderful, especially if there are several kinds of magic floating around. No wizard really knows what his fellows are capable of. Spellbooks/libraries can be truly fearsome - reading the wrong formula might drive you mad. Spells and secrets are the currency of trade between gentlemen wizards. I would use Ars Magic (or possibly the new Mage book). And it wouldn't hurt to get the old Sorcerer's Crusade companion (White Wolf, for old edition of mage during the renaissance, truly excellent). There is a d20 ars magic conversion in the works (search yahoo for "d20 ars magica"). I would cobble together a bunch of different magic systems - one for each type of magic you want to have (e.g. one for theurgy, one for alchemy, for astrology, for exorcism, for shapeshifting, for weather shaping, etc). Make sure that your system has the possibility to spell failure/mishap/backlash.

Wombat

First Post
Mr Quickleaf, it might almost be construed that you had the ability to read my very thoughts, for indeed I am working an a game which would be entitled Regency Magica, covering the very same period being proposed here. While this would not be a published game (AM is not OGL, etc.), I do intend to put sections up at the website I am associated with (see tagline below) as time permits.

My players are extatic on this point. :)

Michael Tree

First Post
The Mysteries, for ars magica, is probably the single best book you can get for magical mystery cults, secret societies, and hidden magical secrets that only the most trusted will be initiated into. I don't know if I would use the Ars Magica system for your game, since its magic is very powerful, but the flavor is perfect. If you want high powered magic, Ars Magica would be a good fit, because it emphasizes gaining power through study and experimentation, and the search for sources of magical power.

The new Mage the Awakening would also probably be a good fit, although as yet I've only seen the previews and the spoilers online.

If I had to use d20, I would probably use the Blue Rose system, which has a feat and skills based magic system that's fairly low key, and would fit the "occult lore and mesmerism" aspects of 19th century magic. The new BR Companion, which just came out in PDF, has rules for magical rituals, summoning, and expanded options for the base magic system.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I used the CoCd20 spells for a couple characters that worked similarly.

What's nice is that the "system" is very simple and very tied to the spells themselves.

Each of the spells has a cost ... usually a few points of ability damage to an appropriate ability, and some Sanity damage. I doubled the Sanity damage dice and used it for Nonlethal damage. Worked rather brilliantly.

--fje

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases