(Seafaring Campaigns) - "Broadsides" and "Seafarer's Handbook" which one? and w

Bob Aberton

First Post
Just what the title says...

I'm starting up a seafaring campaign, and I need a good sourcebook.

I've heard of "Broadsides!" and "Seafarer's Handbook" as good books for practical info to run a ship-based campaign.

My questions are as follows: Which is better? Which costs less? and What publishers produce these books?

I'm looking for: practical info on running a sea based campaign, deck plans, and good rules for both ship movement, SHIP TO SHIP BATTLES, NAVIGATING SHIPS, and deck plans.

Crothian

First Post
If that's what you want, then I suggest Ships of War from Mongoose. They have also realized many deck plans on their website.

Seafarer's handbook has that info, to a lighter extent. It deals a lot with fighting under the waves and other tpes of underwater campaigns including feats and races. Seafarers is put out by Fantasy Flight Games.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Mongoose also has "Seas of Blood", which deals with ship to ship combat styles. To be honest, you would need to visit your local gaming store and look at all 3 supplements, to see which best fits your DMing style. I like "Seafarer's Handbook", as my campaign is set primarily underwater, but "Seas of Blood" and "Broadsides!" are also well done.

Bob Aberton

First Post
Thanks, all, but I really don't have a local gaming store in my area, so I couldn't really check out all three...

But thanks anyway....
keep the suggestions coming

Crothian

First Post
Bob Aberton said:
Thanks, all, but I really don't have a local gaming store in my area, so I couldn't really check out all three...

But thanks anyway....
keep the suggestions coming

Have you checked out the reviews section on Enworld? I've always found it to be of much use. Also, there was a comparitive review of Seafarer's Handbook and Seas of Blood that someone did that was very well done. I'm not sure where to find that, but hopefully someone else will. :D

Henrix

Explorer
The only one of these I have seen in the flesh is Seas of Blood, which I own and am very disappointed in.

I find that the rules in it are so poorly thought over that I cannot use them.

Bob Aberton

First Post
crothian: Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Henrix: Thanks for warning me...and I was actually leaning toward Seas of Blood (whew that was close)...I guess its now Seafarere's Handbook or Broadsides...

Speaking of which, does anyone know which company publishes "Broadsides?" I was pretty sure it was Privateer Press, but I could be wrong...

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Bob Aberton said:
crothian: Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Henrix: Thanks for warning me...and I was actually leaning toward Seas of Blood (whew that was close)...I guess its now Seafarere's Handbook or Broadsides...

Speaking of which, does anyone know which company publishes "Broadsides?" I was pretty sure it was Privateer Press, but I could be wrong...

I just got Broadsides (Living Imagination, BTW, is the publsiher), and haven't really had much chance to look through, but here's the one thing I really like about it in comparison to the other two: it has more info about more REAL ships than either of the others. I could care less about 300' long castles-built-on-boats or otherwise implausible ships for my world.

It doesn't have deck plans, which is OK, because I can do those. The wind & weather system looks sensible. I can't speak to the rest, yet. I haven't had much need to use the rules so I haven't compared them closely to Seafarer's Handbook, which I also have.

Donatello

Explorer
While I'm not one to go out and publicly speak against the competition, I'll put up some links to our product reviews, and let the reviewers speak for themselves:

http://www.d20zines.com/criticscorner/051202.htm

http://www.d20zines.com/d20zine/d20zine-062002.pdf
(We're #1 on their Top 5 Naval Supplements list.. and #4)

http://www.mortality.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=45
(would have done better if he wasn't harsh about 7 pages of Twin Crowns specific material)

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=BROA

http://www.dmshaven.freeservers.com/livingimagination.html

I also remember reading a head to head review, but I can't find that link right now (it's not on RPG.net, Gamingreport.com, DM'S Haven, Mortality, or EN World)...

My own quick comment is, based on my perusal of Seas of Blood and Seafarer's Handbook - While each of the books has their pros and cons, Broadsides is the book of choice for tactical combat and running a full-blown, long-term nautical campaign.

Our lack of deck plans is being recitfied as we speak, and we have a cartographer developing plans for ALL of our ships, which will be downloadable off of the LI site. We also have an article in the upcoming Gaming Fronteirs #3 giving advice on how to run a nautical campaign, including economics, random encounter tables, and advice for DMs.

Lastly, LI is still fully supporting Broadsides, and has expansions already in development.

Remove ads