You crack open the beholder and find scrolls.

freebfrost

Explorer
(Inspired by Crothian's post in another thread talking about searching the bodies of wolves for treasure...)

What was the weirdest scenario in which you or your players have discovered treasure? It can be magical treasure, gold, what have you, but I'm looking for the situations where either the treasure is something that obviously doesn't make sense for the creature in question, and how it was explained that it possessed that treasure.

For example, when I first started gaming back in the 80s, I was taking a party through the D-series and they randomly encountered a beholder. A fight ensues, the party wins, and they ask if it was carrying treasure. I dutifully roll up some treasure - magic scrolls - and tell the party that yes, they have found some magic scrolls.

"Where did it carry scrolls?" came the inevitable question.

:uhoh:

Thinking quickly, I responded, "you cracked open the beholder's body like an egg and found the scrolls inside."

How convenient is that - monster and treasure in one neat package!

Anyway, what are the weirdest places you have found (or placed) treasure?

caudor

Adventurer
Oh yeah, this brings back memories :)

Back when I was DMing from the 1st Ed. Basic boxed set, my play usually went something like:

DM: You see a room. It looks empty (I snicker)

Player: OK, I'll flip a gold piece into the room

DM: OK, nothing happens

Player: OK, I'll flip another gold piece

DM: OK, there are no traps. But bugbear hiding in the corner sees you and runs out and attacks you.

Player: OK, I'll use my long sword

DM: (Rolls) OK you hit. It dies.

Player: OK, I'll cut open the Bugbear.

DM: OK, you find 10 gold pieces!

Player: Alright, cool

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Scrolls? That is odd. Wouldn't you find a nymph located in the creature's ocular organ instead?

After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Me and my friends were looting some goblins when the DM rolled on the 1st level random loot table, with a result of 1000 copper pieces. There was no way he'd be carrying that much stuff! As this was our first loot of the campaign we decided it was just like a video game, and enemies exploded when killed, loot bursting from their corpses and spilling onto the ground.

sniffles

First Post
@Biggus Geekus - ouch! :p

I don't recall ever getting any loot from an odd location in a tabletop game. But I often like to joke that I'm disappointed when monsters don't disintegrate into piles of coins like they do in Diablo. :D

(Inspired by Crothian's post in another thread talking about searching the bodies of wolves for treasure...)

Are you sure that was Crothian? I know I've mentioned that before, because that's what I did in my very first game of D&D after my very first fight in D&D. :)

Or do I just have more in common with the Great Ooze than I thought?

Quasqueton

First Post
But I often like to joke that I'm disappointed when monsters don't disintegrate into piles of coins like they do in Diablo.
I like how a swarm of flies drops a suit of plate armor when it dies.

After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Wow. Who could have ever guessed someone would set up a situation where BiggusGeekus could come up with this joke. One in a million set up. Nice response BiggusGeekus.

Quasqueton

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The standard quote for looking for treasure in odd monsters is "I cut open his spleen and look for emeralds." And every once in a while, they find one.

Demiurge out.

Quasqueton

First Post
Oh, and there has been official precedence for finding treasure inside of creatures. Mimics, ropers, and some other creatures come to mind.

Quasqueton

Remove ads