You crack open the beholder and find scrolls.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Quasqueton said:
Wow. Who could have ever guessed someone would set up a situation where BiggusGeekus could come up with this joke. One in a million set up. Nice response BiggusGeekus.

Quasqueton

Some people theorize that BG has been hanging around these forums for lo' these many years for the express purpose of making this very joke (and being sexy). Now that he's finally done it, I doubt we'll see him much anymore. :(

William_2

First Post
It is a cool topic, but you may have gone all in right from the deal with that story – what are the odds that anyone can beat the Beholder scroll piñata story?!

I’m always kind of stumped by generic treasure situations: some goblinoid or such, living in a squalid cave attacking passer-bys….in possession of enough gold to buy a small village. Why don’t they? And if not, what are they collecting gold for? Retirement? It is all a bit odd.

Not as odd as a beholder bursting open, though. “Look kids – scrolls!”

Kahuna Burger

First Post
In "The flight of dragons" I think it was, it indicated that dragons swallowed gems to use them as grit in its crop, thus treasure would be found in the disolving remains of dead dragons....

lukelightning

First Post
Ah yes, nothing is more fun than luring the players into butchering monsters for possible treasure. All you have to do is have one monster with gold in its gut, and the next thing you know the PCs are hacking open dire badgers and cockatrixes in hopes of some reward.

I once made a giant skeleton that had a magic dagger inside its skull... the giant had been killed by a thrown dagger to the eye.

Last edited:

Dingleberry

First Post
After my players killed an aquatic troll, they found a bunch of coins, gems and a ring in a clamshell jammed up its... um... treasure hole.

The funny thing about BG's joke is that it's one I made a long, long time ago. Except, in my joke (as above), it was a Ring of Human Influence (which I think granted 18 Charisma and allowed you to Charm Person a couple times per day).

In my set-up, you came into a room in a dungeon which had three doors. Ancient runes instructed you to choose your reward by operating a lever.

The levers were marked "Beauty," "Power," and ... "Grace," maybe?

The lever marked "Beauty" opened a door behind which was a beholder (with a Ring of Human Influence in his central eye).

The lever marked "Power" had some kind of old creature known as a Corrupter or something similar behind it, along with some Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

I can't recall what the third lever said, had, or gave you. :)

Remove ads