Eternal Rome & Mythic Vistas

ptolemy18

First Post
I thought I'd start a new thread about Green Ronin's "Eternal Rome"...

mcrow said:
I didn't mean that I don't like it because it is not historical, but because it lacks focus on the fantasy bits. Like I daid above I think you either go and make it Roman D&D (which is why I like Roma Imperious it's the same deal different system) or you make it historical. Eternal Rome seems to be in limbo between the two without any thing to say it is one or the other. The fantasy elements in it just read like they were an after thought when designing it. OTOH Eternal Rome and Turris Lemurum seem to be 100% compatible so you could just pick up a copy of Turris if you didn't want to do the leg work for an adventure. Maybe I missed something reading through Eternal Rome, but it sure didn't impress me much.

Have you read TESTAMENT and TROJAN WAR? Eternal Rome has pretty much the same mixture of history (a lot) with outright fantasy (a little).

I've bought ETERNAL ROME now, and skimmed through it, and I like it. It's just a huge bunch of Rome-related resources, rules and details that can be used for various purposes. It has a good variety of stuff -- maybe it's a little broader than it is deep, but still, I was favorably impressed. I like it more than TROJAN WAR.

The mini-adventure by Scott Bennie is good, as well. I would buy anything by Scott Bennie.

It's true that ETERNAL ROME doesn't do a *perfect* job of reconciling the D&D3.X rules with historical realism, but that's pretty much impossible. (To use one of about a billion examples: why didn't someone just resurrect Julius Caesar after he was assassinated.... and for that matter, if Caesar could be appointed Pontifex Maximus, doesn't that mean he would have to be a high-level cleric? ;) ) I'd say that, on the whole, it does a good job of mixing the two gameplay types. The idea of Vigils being able to cast firefighting- and city-protection-related spells is about the height of magical craziness in the book. (That's a compliment.) I would've liked to see just a few more super-obscure Roman deities (Bellona?), but the prospect of playing a Cleric who worships the Deified Emperors is sufficiently entertaining & promising. They don't say what domains Christians would have access to, but at least they mention TESTAMENT, which *does* talk about Hebrew domains... and instead of pussyfooting around the subject they offer a fairly thoughtful sidebar along the lines of "Please *do* feel free to include Jewish and Christian (and Gnostic) elements in your Rome games, but it's probably something you should decide on for yourself, so we're not going to go into great detail about it."

For a more D&D-ish game, I was glad to see that it had suggestions on adapting MONSTER MANUAL creatures for Rome, as well as the possibility of having demihumans on the fringe of the Roman frontier. And it mentions all those awesome/ridiculous legendary things like the one-eyed Arimaspians, Amazon warriors, and the super-poisonous basilisk lizards. On the whole, I'd say that the only thing I really noticed missing is historical-time-based adventure hooks, but they *do* have site-based adventure hooks, which are good if not better.

Famous NPC stats would've been interesting, but I can't say I miss 'em *too* much, since I'd rather not be restrained by too much realism... in my own campaign I've already decided that the General Sulla is going to be an evil Paladin of Mars (using EGYPTIAN ADVENTURES' Ghaffir class), General Marius is going to be a Fighter with a few levels in Barbarian (picked up during his stint in Africa), and Pompey the Great is going to be a Warmage. I'm content with my totally made-up version in which Sulla de-ages from an old man to a 30-year-old when he activates his Paladin Battle Aura. ;)

Basically, ETERNAL ROME is a set of "Rome tools," and it's a good, versatile set. Although normally this kind of product cross-referencing bugs me, I also appreciate the fact that it refers to how stuff from TESTAMENT and TROJAN WAR could (or couldn't) fit into a Roman setting... a suitable way to end the Mythic Vistas series of "ancient world" RPGs, just as Rome was the end of the Mediterranean ancient world.

Jason

mcrow

Explorer
ptolemy18 said:
I thought I'd start a new thread about Green Ronin's "Eternal Rome"...

Have you read TESTAMENT and TROJAN WAR? Eternal Rome has pretty much the same mixture of history (a lot) with outright fantasy (a little).

Nope, never read any of the other books in the series. If I had i would not have picked up Eternal Rome. I was expecting more (and better) world info, campaign ideas, and overall just more of everything other than rules. Unless you are buying this book for a few good rules, you are going to be disapointed. Anyone who has a working knowledge of the d20 system and read a book or two relating to Roman history will find little use for this book IMO.

ptolemy18

First Post
mcrow said:
Nope, never read any of the other books in the series. If I had i would not have picked up Eternal Rome.

Whatever you think about ETERNAL ROME and TROJAN WAR.... if you have any interest in Bronze-Age or ancient-historical campaigns, TESTAMENT (by a different author, BTW) is one of the best D&D3.0 supplements ever. When some game designer (Scott Bennie) is willing to read through the Bible, the Apocrypha, Egyptian & Babylonian & Sumerian myths and compile them into a campaign setting, that is some seriously good stuff.

And it's *good* that he does it fairly 'straight' instead of warping it into some more D&D-ized version, like the typical vaguely-based-on-real-places settings in FORGOTTEN REALMS or MINDSHADOWS. If he had then turned TESTAMENT around and turned it into "LAND OF GOSHEN, THE PSEUDO-BIBLICAL CAMPAIGN SETTING WITH ALL THE NAMES CHANGED"... or turned ETERNAL ROME into "ARC*N*S, THE PSEUDO-ANCIENT-WORLD CAMPAIGN SETTING WITH THE NAMES CHANGED", *then* I would have been pissed off. Settings based on real places with the names changed are a dime a dozen. Anyone can do that stuff. (Although I admit I do kind of like Arcanis.)

I've read books on Roman history, I have a bunch of D20 books, and I thought Eternal Rome was good. It's hardly just a rules splatbook. I guess I can sympathize if you felt it just wasn't *enough* new material (like maybe a blow-by-blow description/map of Roman cities), or enough adventure hooks/campaign ideas, but I was very satisfied with what *is* there. Given the choice, I'd always prefer for supplements to be longer... that was my only minor complaint about EGYPTIAN ADVENTURES. I guess I've already read enough Roman history & seen enough Roman maps that I didn't feel the need for a more detailed description of that stuff. (Although I do think the ETERNAL ROME description is adequate.)

Jason

ptolemy18

First Post
BTW, mcrow... you just put the "Roma Imperious" info at the end of your e-mail to spread the word about Roma Imperious, right? For a second there I thought you actually worked for Hinterwelt, which, of course, would invalidate all your comments about "Eternal Rome" since you're not objective... but of course I assume you don't have any connection to Hinterwelt or you would've said so from the beginning. So you're just a fan who listed a bunch off Hinterwelt books in your e-mail. Right?

Actually, I admit "Roma Imperious" looks interesting too... one of my other friends recommended it to me, and it looks good.

Anyway, here is my main point about why I chose to buy "Eternal Rome" instead of "Arcanis" or "Roma Imperious":

******Since my own Roman campaign is my own homebrew it's easier for me to work with a "generic historical" Roman setting like "Eternal Rome" than a more elaborately fantastic setting like "Roma Imperious", from which I would have to pick out the made-up non-historical parts (in order to replace them with my own made-up non-historical parts... heh.)

Of course, by the same logic, some people may prefer to pick up settings like "Arcanis" or "Roma Imperious" which are arguably easier to play "out of the box."

Jason
Not a Green Ronin Employee

Last edited:

mcrow

Explorer
Nope, I do not work for Hinterwelt. I have done some playtesting for Roma Imperious though and I did that for free, I did not get a comp copy for it. I'm just a big fan of their stuff, thats all. I hope by having the books in my sig others will be interested, which will make finding players easier. I put almost all the books I buy( and I have quite a list) in my sig @ one point or another. I own a few Green Ronin books and until Eteranl Rome i liked them all. So no I'm not a GR basher and no I'm not here just to push Hinterwelt's games. :D

I'm not sure comparing Arcanis & Roma Imperious works though. From what I understand Arcanis is more of a Fantasy game with a Roman theme, while Roma is a Roman game with a fantasytheme. I havn't read Arcanis, but that is what I get from what I see on the net. Yes, I do agree that Eternal Rome would be easier to plug into a homebrew than Roma. Overall I was just looking for something more complete.

ptolemy18

First Post
mcrow said:
Nope, I do not work for Hinterwelt. I have done some playtesting for Roma Imperious though and I did that for free, I did not get a comp copy for it. I'm just a big fan of their stuff, thats all.

My fault. Sorry for questioning your motives!

Jason

mcrow

Explorer
ptolemy18 said:
My fault. Sorry for questioning your motives!

Jason

No offence taken. I think I might take that link out of there if it makes it look like I have some affiliation to the company.

HinterWelt

First Post
I do work for HinterWelt and will back up Mike saying he is a great playtester. Any company would be lucky to have a playtester like Mike.

As for Eternal Rome, I do have a valid opinion. From the sound of it, it is a more historically grounded game then Roma or even Fulminata. I am not familiar with Arcanis. Gurps Imperial Rome sounds like a bit more low fantasy than any of them. I do not believe a Roman gam is a Roman game, different flavors attract different folks. At Gen Con, we got a lot of compliments on our historical research and the alternate history bits I threw in. Eternal Rome sounds a lot more like straight history with some magic parts. That is not a recrimination, I like those games too but I also like the Colloseum with gladiatores facing an Aper Giganteus.

So suffice it to say, I do not think it is really an "either or" choice but a "what you feel like playing tonight" choice.

Bill

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases