[Game Closed] Dead of Winter: DnD3e-CoC Game in the Forgotten Realms (IC Forum)

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
The Dead of Winter Campaign is a DnD3e-Call of Cthulhu d20 hybrid set in the Forgotten Realms. The players find themselves in a small, isolated mining village called Caerrhen in the northwestern section of Impiltur. Located on the banks of the lake at the end of River Icehilt, Caerrhen is bordered by the Earthwood to the north and the Earthspur Mountains to the west and south. It is the middle of the all too brief Impilturan summer, and tomorrow is Shieldmeet, the midsummer festival. Although warm enough now, the icy chill of winter is only a short way off…

Notes
I'm looking for around 5-6 players total. I'm 90% sure I already have two, so that would leave 3-4 slots open. I'd have 3-4 turns a week, so it shouldn't be too too time intensive. Otherwise, if you're game, post here, let me know what you'd like to play, and then post a character. Ideally we'd have at least a multiclassed Cleric... Oh — this campaign has nothing in common with the "Dead of Winter" adventure from the PHB CD-Rom — I just liked the title...

Dead of Winter Player Character Generation
  • Ability Score Generation: Default array. 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and arrange as desired.
  • Available Races: All races in the PHB and FRCS are available with the following exceptions: Drow Elves, Gray Dwarves, and Svirfneblin are not available. Races with an ECL of +1, such as Aasimar, Genasi, and Tieflings, are fine, although Fire Genasi are not the most appropriate choice given the climate and location of the campaign.
  • Character Region: Aglarond, Damara, Great Dale, Impiltur, Narfell, Rasheman, Thay, Thesk, the Vast, and Vaasa are particularly appropriate, as are the racial regions. Characters may, of course, be from other locations, but they need to have a reason for being in Impiltur.
  • Standard characters will start at 2nd level; aasimar, tieflings, and genasi will start at 1st level. You have 900 gp, plus any gold received as part of your Regional Equipment package, to spend on starting equipment. Scrolls and potions are fine, even recommended, but no magic item may cost more than 300 gp. Characters may not hold more than 50 gp at the start of play. You do not need to buy equipment gained from your Regional Equipment Package.
  • Sanity, Cthulhu Mythos skill: PCs will all have a Sanity score. Starting Sanity is equal to the character’s Wisdom score multiplied by 5. It will certainly fluctuate. All PCs will have a Cthulhu Mythos skill — you cannot put any ranks into this skill on your own, and it starts at zero.
  • Classes: All classes are available as listed in the PHB. Only the PHB and FRCS are in play right now.
  • Monk PCs are most likely of the Order of the Yellow Rose (Disciples of Saint Sollars) — this monastery is almost directly north of the starting location for the campaign. Good-aligned Monks may also be members of the Broken Ones. Both of these monastic orders are dedicated to Ilmater. Monks may be of all the other monastic orders listed in the FRCS for good- or neutral-aligned characters. This is just a note...
  • Paladins travelling with Monk PCs belonging to the Disciples of Saint Sollars are likely members of the Order of the Golden Cup. Also, just a note...:)
  • Rangers may substitute other feats for Two-Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity. One of the substitution feats must be Point Blank Shot and the other should be one of the following: Far Shot, Precise Shot, or (if Dex 13+) Rapid Shot.
  • Spells: Any spell or domain found in the PHB or FRCS is fair game.
  • Alignment: LG, NG, CG, LN, N, and CN only. All normal class restrictions on alignment apply.
  • All characters must have a patron deity. The most common religions in the region of Impiltur are Ilmater, Selune, Tymora, Valkur, and Waukeen.
  • All characters must have a brief background and a reason for being in Caerrhen.
I hope to start fairly soon (next 2 weeks or so), so I hope to hear from people soon. :)

thanks,
tKL

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
I'd be interested in playing as well. Maybe a genasi wizard or sorcerer or maybe another Monk of the Yellow Rose or of the Broken Ones, or a human mercenary.

Just out of curiousity would monks be allowed to use feats from OA?

Old Fezziwig

novyet said:
I'd be interested in playing as well. Maybe a genasi wizard or sorcerer or maybe another Monk of the Yellow Rose or of the Broken Ones, or a human mercenary.

Just out of curiousity would monks be allowed to use feats from OA?

Great! :) Those possibilities will work fine. I don't have OA, so I'd rather not use feats from it. That said, if it becomes absolutely critical to your character concept, send me an e-mail (in my profile), and we can figure something out.

Originally posted by Rorschach
I don't know if we need 2 monks. I'd be willing to play a paladin instead...

We can have two monks. I'm perfectly happy with that. Of course, we don't necessarily want a party of all monks. :p I'm willing to take two, but I can't see having more than that — having two monks could be interesting. If you want to back off and play a paladin, that's cool, too. You guys can work this out, I'm sure.

Oh — I'm sure that people who have the FRCS have noticed (if they've checked) that Caerrhen is not on the map, as it doesn't exist officially...I've tried to be as clear as possible as to where it is, but if I'm unclear, please ask and I'll try to be clearer.

Best,
tKL

Old Fezziwig

Final post for now, as I should get to work. I noticed I forgot to put this down in the Character Generation section:
  • Max HP for the first two levels, after that, well, we'll deal with that when we get there. :D

Best,
tKL

novyet

First Post
Rorschach said:
I don't know if we need 2 monks. I'd be willing to play a paladin instead...
Well if you'd like to play a monk, and think we don't need two I'd be more than willing to change. That said it's been noted that two monks would be fine. :)

Old Fezziwig

Two monks is certainly fine, although if there are going to be two monks, I'd like to have six players — strength in numbers, all that. At any rate, whatever you all decide is fine. Keep me posted.

Rorschach — If you did want to switch over to a Paladin, perhaps we can work out a variant on the Paladin, and make him more monk-like, swap out the heavy and medium armor proficiencies and the special mount, use a different skill list (more academic or monastic), switch in some of the monk abilities. I guess he'd be more like a western-type samurai, sword-saint type thing. What do you think? Of course, novyet, if this appeals to you, we can work on it with you, too. We could even use it as a prototype for the Order of the Golden Cup. Thoughts?

Best,
tKL

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases