Dark Deeds On White Mountain--Recruitment Thread--CLOSED

Gray Shade

First Post
Under a full moon, near the peak of White Mountain, a blunt tower of gray stone whips into existence between thick patches of Autumn fog. A guard at the small town of Hazel, halfway down the mountain calls in his captain to see the apparition, and soon the whole of the town's meager populace stands on the wooden wall watching. The next morning, the Mayor's advisor, Hedrick, attempts to divine the meaning of the tower, but when he throws the bones, he is incapacitated and falls into a gibbering heap. Over the next week, harrowing signs appear for all to see: the miners throw extra glances to their tunnels' ceilings after a cave in claims three lives; tourists panning for gold abandon their vacations after seeing blood running in the water of the streams. The Mayor, his advisor still useless, sends a messenger to Rumbol, the city at the base of the mountain, on the river Crux, to recruit help. While waiting over the next two weeks, a cursed pall of blackness comes to rest upon the temple of Woden and none will enter save the Padre, and the Stone Tower continues to appear and disappear every night, fading in and out of existence like a blind man feeling for reality. From his bed, wracked with pain and confusion, Hedrick the Boneman cries out in languages dark and unknown and when he does slip back into Dwarven he only mutters of the full moon. The Mayor rules a doomed town.

He is not bright, but does understand that the source of the doom must be the stone tower
that moves like a ghost through the mists about the mount's peak. It appeared on a full moon, and he, and all the people of his town, fear what will happen at the next full moon.

With only a week left before the next full moon comes, the mercenaries from Rumbol arrive. Hazel's coffers are small, but a few so-called professional adventurers have answered the call.

As soon as they arrive in town, the Mayor meets them and pays them (half--other half when they return). He calls a town meeting for the next morning, and when the sun rises, all have assembled in the small town market. The town's folk do not need the situation explained. They can tell by looking at the sparse number of mercenaries. They know that some of their own are going to have to step forward to explore this tower and somehow stop whatever darkness it is causing.

The Mayor finishes his plea to the people, but there's really no reason for his begging. The people of Hazel are prideful and strong from enduring their harsh mining lifestyle and biting winters as the snow of White Mountain settles over them in two-foot drifts every year. The people of Hazel are good stock and understand their grim situation. The people answer the call to arms.

Howdy. I'd like to run an adventure entitled "Dark Deeds On White Mountain." What you just read was the introduction. I'm looking for a group of 5-6 characters. 2 or 3 of which will be the "professional adventures" and the rest of which will be "town’s people." See the following guidelines for the characters.

I'm stating now: I will expect everyone to post at least a couple times a week (hopefully more) as I really don't want this to stall out. Anyone who cannot keep up (I can understand the occasional real life duty keeping someone from posting, but you know what I mean), will be asked to duck out.

Feel free to submit both an adventurer and a townie if you want, but I'll only pick one character per player.

Please provide a short (2-3 sentence) history and short (2-3 sentence) description of your character. No need to make any longer than this as my belief is that the best characters become who they are during the adventure, not before it. This game world is pretty loose right now, so feel free to use your imagination in naming personalities and cities, etc. If I object, I'll let you know, but feel free to have some fun with this.

Professional Adventurer:

Introduction:

You were in the city of Rumbol, on the river Crux, a large town that acts as way-point for miners loading barges with their raw treasures. You may have been just passing through, or you may be a local, in any case, you find yourself in an avant-garde theater, where during the advertisements before the play, the crier tells of the dark plight of the town of Hazel, up above Crux on White Mountain. Swayed by the struggle of the people (and, a little by the 600 gp reward for help) you've made the two-day journey to Hazel to offer assistance. In Hazel, you are met by the Mayor.

A seemingly genuinely concerned and caring Human, he gives you half the reward for your help the night you arrive (the 300 gp extra) and asks you to attend a town meeting the next morning. You agree and when the sun rises you make your way the short distance to the town market where you stand along side the Mayor and the other professional(s) at the head of a crowd of about forty people, mostly Humans and Dwarves--all of Hazel.

Character details:

-Any race, class, and equipment from the core books; other classes, races, equipment, etc. only by my individual permission
-3rd level character
-32 point buy
-No evil alignments
-2,700 Gold worth of equipment, Plus 300 gold more in cash (that the Mayor paid you the night before--you will be free to spend this as the adventure begins in the local shops, but since you did not have it before you arrived, you cannot use it toward starting gear)

Town's Person:

Introduction:

You've been a citizen of Hazel for years, if not your entire life. Hazel has always been a good home, and you've plied your trade well there and made many friends. You've survived raids by Orcs, Goblins, and once even a Troll from the shaded (South) side of White Mountain. Perhaps you've journeyed outside the town and adventured a little, perhaps not; in either case, you were in town when the tower first appeared and have seen it and its ill signs with your own horrified eyes over the last three weeks. You know the Mayor sent a runner for professional adventurers to solve the problem, but you also know that Hazel is not their town. It's yours, and you're not about to stand idly by while it's threatened. When the Mayor calls the town meeting, you're one of the first ones there.

Character details:

-Any race, class, and equipment from the core books; other classes, races, equipment, etc. only by my individual permission
-2nd level character PLUS two levels of a single NPC Class (from DMG: Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, or Warrior as would be appropriate to whatever job the character does
around town) (add the NPC levels on top of your character as "free" levels, once the character is made as 2nd level add to that the skill points, class abilities, hit points, etc.; HOWEVER, do NOT give yourself the +1 feat and +1 ability point for making 3rd and 4th levels, as I will not count the levels when figuring experience)
-32 point buy
-Good alignments only
-2,300 Gold worth of equipment.
-Bonus language of Dwarven, as most of the miners in Hazel are Dwarven and the language is heavily used
-Bonus skills of 4 levels of Knowledge: local; and 2 levels of Survival
-Feel free to choose your character's profession, however, I will have final say. This is a small mining town, so some definite characters to choose from include: Miner; Tourist Director (for the tourists who come up to pan for gold); Blacksmith; Sheriff; Woodworker; etc.

Good luck and have some fun!

Oh, and when you post a character submission, please sblock it, both to save space, AND to provide for the realism of not knowing everything about all the other characters (yeah, and this means please don't look at other submissions). Characters will be choosen on quality, not on who submits first, so don't be afraid to submit a guy even if there's several already submitted. I'd like to get this up and running by Tuesday the 13th, so get guys in before then. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Dropping a note to play a "professional".

Teehee.

Although I think a local wizard/adept would be fun too :)

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lars Grimhelm, Male Human Exp2/Bbn2: Medium Humanoid ;
HD 2d6+4 ( Expert) , 2d12+4 ( Barbarian) ; hp 36; Init + 0; Spd 30;
AC 15 (Flatfooted: 15 Touch: 10); Atk +7 base melee, +3 base ranged;
+8 ( 1d12+6, Greataxe, Masterwork ); +7 ( 1d8+6, Battleaxe );
Languages: Common and Dwarven

AL CG; SV Fort + 5, Ref + 0, Will + 2;

STR 18
DEX 10
CON 15
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 14

Skills: Craft (Armorsmithing) + 1, Craft (Blacksmithing) + 1,
Craft (Weaponsmithing) + 1, Profession (Armorsmith) + 2, Profession (Blacksmith) + 2, Profession (Miner) + 0, Profession (Weaponsmith) + 2, Profession (Woodcutter) + 0,
Survival +2, Local Area Knowledge +4.

Feats: Cleave, Power Attack.

Possessions:
Weapons: Greataxe, Masterwork; Battleaxe.

Armor: Breastplate, Masterwork. Custom made dwarven, horned helmet.

Goods: Backpack; Small sack full of hay; Lantern, bullseye; Rope, hemp (50 ft.); Whetstone; Waterskin (full); Flint and steel; Oil (pint); Oil (pint); Black star sapphire worth 1000gp; Deep blue spinel worth 500gp.

During one goblin raid, Lars' blacksmith father and his mother were killed, leaving the boy homeless. The local dwarven community took him in as one of their own, teaching them the ways of metal, fighting with an axe, and song. Unfortunately, Lars never fit in with either the dwarves or humans, and often finds himself culturally confused.

Lars looks and acts in a similar way to the vikings of old, drinking heavily, bathing rarely, and making a loud nuisance out of himself. He is good-natured, though, and despite his social awkwardness people tend to enjoy being around him. Or somewhat near him, as the 6 foot and 2 inch, 195 pound, red hair and bearded man needs to take a bath sometime.

Gray Shade

First Post
Thanks, Deuce Traveler, but please remember to sblock characters. Also, I realized I missed a detail (probably several, but here's one): Give your characters max HP at first level, then 3/4 for each level after that (round down on odd levels, then up on even levels).

Deuce Traveler, see here for more detailed comments:

[sblock]
Very good start! Nice history and description. His HP should be a little higher than what you have (12 for 1st level Barbarian, 9 for 2nd, 4 for level 1 Expert, 5 for level 2 Expert = 30, plus 2 per level for Con = +8 = 38 total HP). Remember to list his class abilities (Fast Move (+10'); Illiteracy; Rage 1xday (for up to 7 rounds); and Uncanny Dodge). Also, the Expert class allows you to choose ten skills to be class skills, so choose and list those, please. You've shorted yourself a little on skill points: you should have 12 for 1st level Barbarian +3 for 2nd level +5 for 1 level of Expert +5 for 2nd level of Expert = 15 for Barbarian and 10 for Expert, so you've still got some skills to buy!

I will leave this to your choice, but instead of those fancy gems, feel free to put that 1500 gold toward magic items or whatever else you may want. Thanks for dropping in a viking. Take care!
[/sblock]

Ferrix

Explorer
Gray Shade, I'm thinking of playing a redux of a character that I once played on here named Kiera. She was a cleric of pelor.

However, she used some feats from Complete Divine (namely Augment Healing & Disciple of the Sun), as well as a feat from Players Guide to Faerun which was just renamed to fit Pelor rather than Lathandar (Initiate of Lathandar), and was aiming for the Radiant Servant of Pelor class.

I was primarly wondering if those two feats from Complete Divine and Radiant Servant PrC would be fine things to get/shoot for. As well, if you would allow the Cloistered Cleric variant from UA. I'm planning on making her come from the town, so she'll be a Cloistered Cleric 2 - Adept or Expert 2.

Hold on all of this... I'll be off for the night, so it's not that important, yet. Plus I'm thinking of reevaluating my character choice.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Ok I'm interested in playing a commoner. Possibly a Rogue/Expert combo known as Snik the Rat, who peddles stolen goods.

Gray Shade

First Post
A note on religion in this adventure (for everyone, but thanks for bringing it up, Ferrix):

Hazel is a very small town. The only temple in the town is a longhouse dedicated to Woden, anyone from the town who is religious, therefore (unless there are very unusual circumstances--which their could be, but they would be . . . er . . . very unusual) worships Woden (yeah, as in "Odin") or at least a deity from Norse mythology.

I'll hold off on making any calls on the rest of the character you talk about, Ferrix, since it sounds like you may not go with her anyway.

Gray Shade

First Post
Hi Krug. I don't think Snik could work as a character who actually lives in Hazel. There's only about 45 people who live in the town, and many of them live together--they're very communal. If a local tried to peddle stolen goods (at least, stolen within the town), they wouldn't be local for long.

Oh! If you were interested, you could put a twist on that, though . . . (Krug only, please) [sblock]and say Snik steals from people in Rumbol (a large-ish city) and then travels to the towns around Rumbol (like Hazel) to sell the goods under the guise of a "trader." Snik would trade stolen jewelry and what-not for furs and ore which he could then take back to Rumbol and sell for cash. That COULD work. If you're interested.[/sblock]

Remove ads