The Cask of Winter -4 July-

Lodow MoBo

First Post
Hjorimir said:
After what you pulled on Saturday I am guessing at least one character wouldn't agree that he was your merry companion!

No one was even hurt. Besides, I believe you need me. Louis only needs stongs drink and fine women, but i believe you need Louis. Hmmm so very interesting....ahhhh ..... Just one more minute ..... Yep I feel great about the situation.

ForceUser

Explorer
Far to the south of frozen Rothland, in a kingdom called Mordengard in a land known as Eriador, a carriage trimmed in silver-and-blue and flying the symbol of the Celestine Church—three interlocking silver rings—rumbled along a rutted road on a bleary winter morning. Flanking the coach was a small cadre of church soldiers atop destriers, which snorted tufts of steamy breath in defiance of the brisk wind that whipped at them from across the Eisenmark plain. Within, a priest sat in contemplation as his thoughts burrowed deep into ecclesiastical matters. His unfocused gaze engulfed the leaden sky that formed an airy counterpart to the gray farmlands that swallowed the horizon in all directions. His eyes were as dark as his ebon hair, which he kept short in the style of his people in the balmy Genovan Principalities far to the south. He wore stiff priestly robes, well-starched, in dyes of gray and blue. At his neck a silver collar denoted his status as a member of the Magistratum*. Beside him on the pillowed bench stood a raven, which plucked occasionally at its glossy feathers with its horny black beak.

Time passed, and as the wagon trundled on toward its destination, the bird cocked its head at the priest and spoke in the Vangal tongue. “Boss, I’m bored.”

The priest blinked, disturbed from his reverie, and sighed at the bird without looking at it. “Yes, I know, Avido. Why don’t you read the scriptures?”

“Because the scriptures are boring and don’t translate well into the barbaric language you chose for me. For which I would again like to thank you,” the raven replied sarcastically. It hopped twice toward the seated priest. “I want to stretch my wings. Look for food.”

“The last time I let you do so you became distracted by the play of sunlight upon a river and disappeared for three days.”

“I got lost.”

“My point exactly.”

The bird squawked and flapped its wings. “Let me out, boss. I have to poop. You don’t want me to crap inside this posh carriage, do you? I mean, I will if I have to, but…”

The priest shook his head before cracking the sidecar door. With a cry of avian delight, the raven darted through the opening, took wing, and was gone. He would not return for a day and a half.

Hours passed, and the priest’s thoughts meandered once again to the task that had put him on this journey. In the town of Beauclerc in the kingdom of Arbonne, which lay several hundred miles to the east across the mountainous divide called simply the Alps, the Reverend Stefano Barozzi had spent the past autumn administering affairs for his mentor, Henri Leconte, the Bishop of Beauclerc. Although Stefano technically worked under the authority of the Archdiocese of Verúccia in distant Genova, the Bishop of Beauclerc held some authority within the Magistratum and thus, was mentor and confessor for several Blesséd that were under his charge—clerics, paladins, and others filled with the gods’ Grace.

Stefano reminisced about the day shortly after the autumn equinox when Leconte had knocked at the door of his cell at Beauclerc.

“Am I interrupting?”

“I am repositing arcanography for daily use, Father, but your presence is by no means an interruption. Please, enter.”

“Thank you. How are your studies progressing?”

“I have successfully transposed the sum of several glyphic differentials into a postulate that has merit within the theological schema suggested in the works of Clovis of León. It remains to be seen whether this approach will yield a new understanding of the relationship between the arcane and the divine. Clovis suggested that the schism between the two is false, but I have still failed to discern the root commonality.”

“The schism is likely in method, not in form. In any case, I do not have the luxury of engaging you on this topic today. Have you perchance read Brother Donal’s report from Athingburgh?”

“I haven’t. I’ve been closeted here, in study and in prayer. What news?”

“Donal met a stranger upon the road to one of the outlying communities. The fellow invited him to share his fire, then fell upon him in the night. Manes noctu**.”

“He survived, of course, to write the letter.”

“Yes, and after dispatching the fiend he deduced it to be of a lower order. Which, suggests, of course…”

“…that one or more of a higher order inhabits the region.”

“Exactly.”

“Troubling. What will you do?”

“I’m sending you there before winter takes root. There’s a colony of converts in a place called Oski Faste, near where Brother Donal encountered the beast. I’ve pulled strings in Savognaie; you’re to be assigned to the Mission*** through next fall. Minister to these people, heal their ills of body and spirit, encourage their belief in the one true faith, and be acutely mindful of vampires. If it seems a reasonable risk, destroy any you may find. If not, withdraw and send word to me through Athingburgh—Menric is archbishop there, and he’ll pass on your reports unmolested. Report as regularly as you are able.”

“I will. Am I going alone?”

“No. I’m going to purchase a mark of passage across Franconia
so that you may journey to Ottschtul in Mordengard. There is a templar there who is noted for the strength of her powers against the unliving."

“You are speaking of Ilse of Reifsnyder, who wields Saint Carlo’s holy mace.”

“Just so. I intend to have her assigned to the Mission, both for her expertise in dealing with undead, and for her potential candidacy within the order. Observe her, but do not reveal the true nature of the assignment until we have reviewed her merits.”

“It will be as you say.”

“Good. As well, I have learned that a son of Oski Faste studies under the mage Zurmlurd, near Ottschtul upon the Eisenmark. I will issue a sending to Zurmlurd and arrange a meeting. The wizard has donated large sums to the church in Mordengard and might be inclined to part with his apprentice for a time, given the nature of the mission. He has little love for the Arbonnese, but far less for the undead.”

“When will I depart?”

“As soon as I can make the arrangements. A week, perhaps. You may take confession with me any evening after Vespers between now and then.”

“I will do so tonight. Tomorrow I will summon a familiar, by your leave. I am aware of the dangers inherent in veering too far into diablerie, but as devils go the familiar is rather benign. The northmen, it is said, cling to their superstitions, blending them with the civilized practices of our faith. In their ancient belief, Otan the Wise possessed two ravens, Hugin and Munin, who brought him tidings each day. A raven would be a useful tool in helping to establish authority and legitimacy among the barbarians.”

“Given the circumstances, I will allow this. Let me leave you to your studies, then. I’ll await you tonight in my chamber.”

“Thank you, Father. Good day.”

A rap upon the carriage window startled Stefano from his recollection. Banquo, sergeant-at-arms and church knight, leant over his saddle and gestured. Stefano opened the coach’s door. “Yes?”

“Brother Camillo’s rode on ahead to make arrangements at an inn, Brother. We’ll be lodging soon. Tomorrow we’ll make Ottschtul, barring troubles.”

”Thank you, Brother. When we’re settled I’ll lead a service and take confessions.”

“Most kind, Stefano. Shortly, then.” The knight nodded and spurred his horse back to the front of the coach.

Stefano looked at the sky, wondered where Avido had gotten off to this time, and sighed.

*The arm of the church that is home to clerics, paladins, and variants thereof. The Magistratum is counterpart to the Pastorate, under whose purview the majority of the laity and parish priests take office. Sound familiar? Not being a theology student myself but wanting to add a semblance of religious authenticity to my campaign world, I fully admit that I have lifted whole cloth the structure of the Church of Oronthan from Sepulchrave II’s Tales of Wyre. The biggest difference between Sep’s church and mine is that his is monotheistic, while I use a modified pantheon of the standard D&D gods for my Celestine Church. The patriarchs of both religions, however, are called the Bright God. I’m such a fanboi—I couldn’t resist. Three guesses who the Bright God is in the standard D&D pantheon.

By the way, if you haven’t read Sep’s story hour by now, I can only marvel at how you’ve gotten to this thread while somehow bypassing his. I strongly recommend that you read Sepulchrave II—immediately!—if you have not already done so.

**Lit. “spirit of the dead which walks by night.” A vampire.

***The Mission is the wing of the church devoted to proselytizing and converting heathens. It falls under the purview of the Magistratum. If you’re a Sep fan, you know this already.

Franconia is a disputed region rich in arable land and mineral resources that lies between Arbonne and Mordengard. The two kingdoms have warred over it, inconclusively, for a century. The Peacock War, as it is known, is a difficulty for the Celestine Church, which is the state religion of both kingdoms. Church officials are one of the few factions that can buy passage from one country to the other unmolested, though Mord and Arbonnese priests are generally unwelcome in the opposing country. Stefano, as a Genovan subject as well as a priest, is a doubly-neutral party in the conflict, and thus the perfect person for the assignment.

Attachments

• Eriador Rough Political Map.JPG
    Eriador Rough Political Map.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

ForceUser said:
I fully admit that I have lifted whole cloth the structure of the Church of Oronthan from Sepulchrave II’s Tales of Wyre.

Well, if you're going to steal, steal from the best! :D

This is really looking good ForceUser - in fact my only criticism is that there should be several pages of story posts for me to catch up on. ;)

Now you've let on that the story doesn't start from the beginning of the campaign, I have to ask: Was this the campaign with the infamous near-TPK by ogres that generated rather a heated discussion elsewhere on these boards?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Now you've let on that the story doesn't start from the beginning of the campaign, I have to ask: Was this the campaign with the infamous near-TPK by ogres that generated rather a heated discussion elsewhere on these boards?

No, that is an entirely different group of players.

ForceUser

Explorer
Swamped. But what's funny is that even in the midst of school projects, I get to slip my favorite hobby in. Attached is a copy of a creative writing assignment I recently completed for my Geography class. Creative writing for geography? I didn't believe it either until I saw the assignment prompt, which suggested that students make their papers "interesting" so that the professor wouldn't get bored reading them. So this is what I came up with.

Attachments

• Paroxysm of Flame-1.doc
    95 KB · Views: 129

ForceUser

Explorer
Holy City of Heilbronn,
County of Üttembach
25 December, 1060

Dear sister,

Today I completed my pilgrimage to the sacred shrine of our Redeemer. What a throng of seekers there was! Knights and peasants, artisans and merchants, maidens and nobles knelt together in awe at this the place where our Redeemer was visited by the Spirit of Freedom and took up his righteous cause. As I touched the holy stone which guards the cave’s entrance, my heart was filled with o’erwhelming love for him that sacrificed all for us. I felt a bond with my fellow pilgrims, as intense in that moment as any I’ve felt within our family and our church. Later we spoke and shared bread and water as we described our experiences. It has been long since I’ve felt such profound yet simple joy. I am reminded again of why I joined the ministry, and thankful again for the gods’ divine Blessing. Tonight I will attend Yuletide mass, and tomorrow I will begin the compilation of my notes upon the highland people of the lower Hems*.

I wish that you could be here as well! After the turn of the year, I intend to visit mother and father at Reifsynder before returning to duty at Ottschtül. I hope that you will be there when I arrive; it has been too long since we saw one another—the Magistratum seems to be doing its very best to keep me at duties abroad. It is my hope that Bishop Locati will allow us some time together before our service sends us apart once again. I have much to tell you.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and happiness. If we do miss each other at Ottschtül, write a letter and the Right Reverend will send it along.

Yours in love and faith,
Lukas

Ilse folded the letter and sighed. She would not be seeing her brother as they’d hoped—her orders had arrived, and she once again supressed a pang of anger at her inexplicable reassignment from the Temple to the Mission; in her mind, a demotion. She wasn’t a missionary, she was a church knight, one blessed with a divine calling to smite the enemies of her faith. Seemingly at odds with her fair complexion and womanly figure were her battle scars and calloused hands. She had grit under her fingernails. She wielded the mace, not the pen. Why me? she asked herself again as she walked through the courtyard of the Basilica of Saint Adelbard. As she approached the portcullis, a temple sergeant exited the guardhouse and waved.

“He’s in here, Reverend.”

“Thank you, Arnolf.” She followed him into the warmth of the building, where a merry fire sparked. Outside, the gray sky belched droplets of wet snow than fell leaden and straight.

Ilse spotted the newcomer and inquired perfunctorily, “Wigliff of Oski Faste?”

The small man seated before her wore simple, well-spun local garb, but had the rugged demeanor of a Northman. His dark eyes huddled close to a hawkish nose centered high in a lean, sallow face. Close-cropped blond hair swaddled his head. He smirked briefly and spoke in accented Sturmmen, “Hello.”

“I am Reverend Ilse of Reifsynder. I will accompany you and Reverend Barozzi north when he arrives tomorrow. Allow me to show you to your accommodations. This way.” He followed her into the frigid, soggy twilight across the courtyard. The Northman did not speak, which suited Ilse well. She was not in the mood for banter. She noted as they walked that the Vangal was shorter than her, and that he bore neither arms nor armor. Under his coat, however, she spied a strange assortment of small wooden sticks hanging upon a thin leather belt. Wands. Though she knew little of Wigliff, it made sense that he bore the trappings of magic. His master Zurmlurd was a noted magician. She looked away when she noticed him observing her.

“Here is your room,” she announced. The small cell was six feet by seven feet across, with a stone floor and a straw cot. A washbasin sat upon a plain table in the corner, and a book of scripture lay upon the bed.

Wigliff glanced at the dingy chamber and pursed his lips. “Thanks,” was all he said.

“The bell will toll for dinner soon, and afterward for Vespers. Mass is at dawn. If you require a confessor, there is a priest on duty within the fane.”

“Thanks,” he said again, with obvious disinterest. Ilse frowned.

“Very well. I will call upon you when Reverend Barozzi arrives.” She paused as he nodded absentmindedly and tossed his pack upon the cot. As he sat upon the cot, he began to take off his boots. Frowning again, Ilse withdrew.

Why was I chosen for this?, she wondered again.

~~~~~~~~~~​

Ilse studied Stefano. The man was shorter than she, with short well-groomed hair, manicured hands, and a carefully neutral expression upon his narrow face. He was swarthy in the way of a southerner and like her wore the silver collar of a member of the Magistratum. She knew little about this Genovan priest save that he was said to be an ecclesiastical scholar and, like her, was blessed with divine powers. Presumably, this made him a member of either the Temple or the Inquisition.

He did not look like a templar.

For his part, Stefano took the measure of the woman who towered before him. Clearly, she was a warrior—her bearing and posture spoke of a lifetime of rigid discipline. He knew through Archbishop Leconte that she was well schooled in theology, though her learning no doubt centered less on metaphysics and more on the application of doctrine. He knew that she had a twin brother, Lukas, who was also a member of the Magistratum. He knew that she was a faithful knight of the temple, and had been honored by the Bishop of Ottschtül with possession of a holy relic.

Stefano smiled and gestured to the simple flanged mace that hung at her hip. “Is that it?” he asked.

She nodded once, sternly. “Yes.”

La Maza de San Carlo” he breathed. “Are the stories true?”

“Mostly,” she grinned. “To my knowledge, I do not have a member of the angelic host keeping counsel with me, nor does Saint Karl whisk me into the heavens upon Remembrance Day.”

“Pity. That would be a sight,” chuckled Stefano.

“Reverend Barozzi,” Ilse intoned, “Why me? My skills, my blessings, not to mention the Mace of Saint Karl, are wasted upon barbarians.”

”We are here to serve the church, Reverend Reifsynder, in whatever capacity she sees fit.”

“I am not questioning the wisdom of the bishopric. I am seeking to understand my role in this mission. I have never been good at public speaking. My strength is here.” She made a fist.

“That is exactly why you are needed, Reverend. The Vangals are barbaric and undisciplined. They respect strength primarily. You can bring discipline. You can bring strength. You can serve as an example of the rewards of faith in a way that they can understand.”

“I am a woman. Will they respect me?”

Stefano shifted uncomfortably. “Women sometimes fight, and sometimes hold property among them. One of their most cherished beliefs is in angelic warrior maidens that lead those who died bravely to their just reward. They are called valkyries. They have incorporated this bit of paganism into their worship of the Celestine.”

“And, through me, you wish to use this.”

“Nothing so deceitful. They will respect a strong woman, especially one that is a warrior. They will listen to you, and thus, we will be able to teach them.”

Ilse regarded him intently. Stefano waited patiently. Finally, she said, “What about this Wigliff?”

”As I understand it,” Stefano replied, “He is the wayward son of the Oski thane. He knows the land, and he can teach us more about his people. The land and its inhabitants are harsh, so he has value as a guide.”

“He does not seem particularly pious.”

“That is surprising, given his mentor. Zurmlurd is a well-known practitioner of our faith.”

”He is a wizard. How can this be?”

“He does not consort with demons; in fact, he is said to have taken the Uncaring One as his patron in the mystic arts.”

”So he is a Fractionalist**.”

”He is an honest man, and loyal to the mother church.”

“If you say so.” Ilse shifted her gaze across the Basilica’s battlements. Patches of dingy snow hugged drifts of rugged farmland that waited for spring. She turned back to Stefano. “Is that everything?”

A spike of concern surged through Stefano. “Yes,” he lied. “Will you be prepared to leave in the morning?”

Ilse stared at him. The moment slithered forward like a sinuous snake, and Stefano kept his gaze steady. He refrained from swallowing. Finally, she nodded. “Good day, Reverend Barozzi,” she said.

As she walked away down the battlement, Stefano turned, closed his eyes, leaned upon a crenellation, and prayed for forgiveness.

*The Hem mountain range, which borders the continent of Eriador on the west.

**The Fractionalists are a burgeoning faction within the Celestine Church that believes that the gods can be worshiped individually, rather than as a collective. There is fierce theological debate within the church over this issue, though the Primate has not taken an official position.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases