The Cask of Winter -4 July-

ForceUser

Explorer
They approached the crystal spire with apprehension. The gigantic bones which ringed the structure at erratic intervals seemed to be the ribs of some great creature—or a multitude of great creatures—stood on end, and seemed to serve no useful purpose other than to inspire dread. Closer to the tower, they could see beyond the ring of bones, to the grounds littered with debris and haphazardly piled mounds of earth. In the glow from the dying sun, the entrance to the hall, a single arch perhaps seven feet tall, seemed black and ominous from without the fossilized fence. From there, no heraldic symbols appeared to flank the entryway; no insignia of any kind marred the jagged, angular surfaces of the spire.

The companions spread out as they entered the yard, and under Stefano’s cautious admonition, Louis and Wigliff set off to circumnavigate the structure. In the midst of this foray, they discovered an oddity—a gigantic pile of icy gray earth next to an even larger hole in the ground, adjacent to the spire by some twenty feet, out of sight of the entryway. The gap in the ground yawned like the maw of some stony beast.

“What do you think?” asked the bard.

Wigliff pondered for a moment. “Something big.”

While the bard and the wizard’s apprentice studied the grounds, the others moved into the debris-littered yard with their torches thrust before them. Approaching the entryway, Einar recoiled and in a low voice growled, “Prester.”

Stefano stepped forward to see a portal that looked very much like a vertical, quivering pool of blood. It flickered brightly in sympathy with the fire from the barbarian’s torch. Beneath the reflective sheen, the surface devoured light. Stefano examined the portal closely, careful not to touch it. After a moment he said, “Ilse.”

The templar stood forth, holding Saint Carlo’s mace aloft like a holy beacon. Now the bloody pool roiled, reflecting the soft white radiance cast from the relic. Underneath, what was black became bright red.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I have never encountered the like,” replied the theurgist.

“What should we do?” asked Einar grimly.

“Wait for the others.”

Rurik, upon spying the portal, forced down the remains of his last meal which threatened to come back up, and stepped away from the spire. “I’ll…guard the approach until you get this sorted,” he announced.

Louis and Wigliff returned and reported.

“No other entryways? You’re sure?” asked Stefano.

“Near as can tell,” Louis replied breezily, “Just that big hole in the ground. Is that really a wall of blood? How marvelous!” He dipped his fingers into the wetly glistening doorway.

“Louis!” several of the others exclaimed in unison.

“Warm. Wet. Sticky,” he declared, withdrawing his hand. He sniffed his fingers, “Smells like iron. It’s blood. But it’s magical—it didn’t soil my glove. See?” He held up a grimy mitten, which appeared bloodless.

Einar scratched his beard. “So this is the entrance to the hall. There is no other way.”

“It’s an entrance,” replied Stefano, “but I’m not convinced that it leads inside. Who knows what’s on the other side of that…door?”

“What are you thinking?” asked Wigliff.

“It could be an extraspatial aperture. Or an illusion. Or a trap.”

“Sure. But it’s here, and we don’t know another way inside. Unless you want to try the hole in the ground, but we don’t know where that leads either. And whatever made it was pretty big, and could still be around.”

The companions stood in silence for a while, looking at each other, at the spire, at Rurik standing several meters away, trying to listen to the conversation without approaching too closely. Finally, Einar pursed his lips and whistled. “So…who’s going first?”

“Fine, I’ll go,” said Louis.

This led to a chorus of discussion from the others. “We can’t just stand here,” Louis sighed, “It’s remarkably boring. I’ll just pop through and see what I can see. I don’t suppose it would hurt to ward me first, though.” He posed dramatically and waited.

“You are such a fool,” said Einar.

“Pish-tosh. I don’t see you volunteering.”

“Because I’m not a fool.”

Louis winked at him.

Stefano laid his hand upon Louis’ shoulder, “I will cloak you from sight. Be quick, the spell doesn’t last very long.”

“Okay.”

“Ready?”

Louis turned to face the portal of blood, focusing on the concentric ripples in its otherwise placid surface. He breathed in deeply, exhaled, and ignored the small rational part of his mind which had begun to scream at him in abject terror. “Yes!”

Animas occaeco!” Strands of mystical energy warped the visible spectrum of light away from the aelfborn, and he winked out of view. There was a momentary pause, and then a human-sized absence dove into the bloody passage, causing it to ripple and roil proportionately. At the same moment, inky clouds of blood exploded into the crystalline structure surrounding the portal, whorled below the surface like water trapped under glass, and dispersed upward into the spire.

“Oh, that can’t be good,” noted the theurgist.

~~~~~~~~~~​

“Aagghhh!” cried Louis as he stumbled across the threshold into what appeared to be an asymmetrical, crystalline anteroom. Invisible, he fell to his knees and fervently searched his body for puncture wounds. He felt as though someone had leeched him head to toe, and then ripped all of the leeches off at once. Woozy, he staggered to his feet and spent several long moments coming to terms with the experience.

“That,” he rasped to the shadows, “was awful! Owww! Sh*t! F*ck!

Catching his breath, Louis realized that even with his keen aelfborn eyes, he could barely see five feet in front of him. Keeping to the wall behind him, which felt cool to the touch, he slid along its surface until he came to an opening. Beyond it was a larger chamber, and a vaulted ceiling which disappeared from sight overhead. From somewhere up there, dim reddish light flickered and refracted through the spire’s crystalline interior, which accounted for the red tincture that the dim light—such as it was—possessed. He took a deep breath, but smelled nothing except stale dry air and the dust of ages. He listened for a moment, heard nothing he could identify as recognizable sounds, and decided that the coast was clear. But the others were going to have to figure that out for themselves, because there was no way in hell he was going to jump back through that portal.

~~~~~~~~~~​

“He’s not coming back,” rumbled Einar.

Stefano closed his eyes, looking inwardly at the lattice of his dweomer, “Give him some more time. The spell has not yet…wait, never mind. It just faded. He is no longer invisible.” He opened his eyes and looked at the others soberly.

“Well,” began Ilse, “I guess it’s our turn.” Turning to Einar, she handed him one of her platinum rings and invoked the litany that bolstered his fortitude with her own. “Stay close,” she reminded him.

“Right. I’ll go next.” And with that, he leapt through the portal.

“Rurik!” shouted Wigliff, “Come on! We’re going in!” Gripping his wand of scorching ray in one hand and his wand of grease in the other, Wigliff dove inside.

Stefano grimaced, summoned the protection of the Celestine against Taint, and stepped through carefully.

Rurik hustled forward hesitantly, just in time to watch Ilse heft her shield and mace, lower her visor, and march through the wall of blood.

He stared at the quivering pool and vacillated—he had never wanted to not do something so badly in his whole life. The swirling portal terrified him in a way no foe had ever done—on the battlefield, everyone fought for a cause. Even ogres and giants, fearsome brutes whom Rurik had often faced during his service to the Earl of Rothland, served their own masters, and were fathomable in that way. But here was a thing beyond the scope of his experience which was undeniably alien and irrepressibly evil. Nothing he understood had prepared him for this, except his brush with Frostmourne. At the thought of that weapon, he recalled the death and suffering it had caused, which was somehow, he felt, linked to this ancient vampiric overlord, and he grew angry. Using his anger as a shield, he snarled at the sanguine aperture and charged.

~~~~~~~~~~​

As the others stood coughing or wheezing, holding themselves or leaning upon one another, Louis grinned and bowed, “Welcome!”

“Why…didn’t you warn us?” gasped Stefano. Ignoring the glowering barbarian, Louis retorted, “You’re joking, right?”

Ilse snapped, “Forget it. Let me have a look at all of you. Rurik, hold still!” The half-giant, nauseated, reeled upon the floor.

“Just give it a moment,” continued Louis cheerfully, “It’s positively the most unpleasant experience I’ve ever mischanced to have, but the sensation will pass.”

Einar spit invective at the bard and leaned upon his axe.

“Language!” Louis chuckled, “Really, I would have thought that you of all people would be able to deal with it. I’m surprised.”

Einar gulped down air and glared murder at Louis.

Steadying himself on his staff, Stefano peered around the interior of the spire. Ilse’s mace, still in hand, lit the crystalline walls with soft white radiance, which reflected and refracted throughout the chamber, dispelling the shadows. “Fascinating,” murmured the theurgist, “The entire structure seems to be composed of this blood crystal, inside and out.”

“Take a look in the next room,” suggested Louis.

Stefano did so, and nodded admiringly at the intense lattice of crystalline growths punctuating the great hollow interior of the spire. Lobes of crystal appeared at irregular elevations, suggesting more chambers. “Let’s spread out,” he said, “And see if we can’t find some way up. Given that this is meant to be a lord’s hall, it stands to reason that the most important rooms will be in the upper levels of the tower.”

They spent several minutes combing through the refuse-strewn lower floor, which was haphazardly partitioned with walls but not ceilings. Everywhere they went, the light from their magic items and torches cast deceptive and strange patterns throughout the tower, mingling and blending with each other as well as the faint red glow from above. It cast a weird kaleidoscope of colors onto people and objects, but the volume of light was low, resulting in a myriad of shifting shadows that confounded the senses.

Louis, picking his way through a debris-strewn room with Einar, stubbed his booted foot on something heavy, yet yielding. “What’s that?” he exclaimed reflexively.

Einar waved his torch over the object, “It’s…a dead mountain goat. A very large one.” He poked it with his boot. “Frozen.”

Eyes wide, they stared at each other for a moment.

“We should probably…”

“Where’s the prester?”

At that moment, a deafening bestial roar reverberated through the interior of the spire, which began to shake as though a jöten was hammering upon the wall with a club the size of Rothland itself. They heard their companions shout and scream, and then the hammering intensified—boomboomboomboomBOOMBOOMBOOM—as something frighteningly large bore down upon them with savage ferocity.

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
Shieldhaven said:
Wonderful stuff, as always! I'm glad to see you updating again.

Also, are we going to see an update to the Rogues' Gallery thread?

Haven
The story hour is so far behind events in the actual campaign that the characters still haven't caught up to the stats offered in the rogue's gallery thread. The current group is knocking on 11th level, and there have been some significant developments (to put it mildly) since they discovered Angrahöll. I'm hoping to bring events forward by updating more often.

I agree that it's about time for a new addition to the rogue's gallery. I'll post the monster they're about to face next time I update.

ForceUser

Explorer
It gnashed its teeth with a sound like clashing swords. The wyrm, all fangs and claws and armored scales that sliced the air like shards of ice, was hoary the way the mountains were ancient, a relic of a time when gods walked the earth and humanity raised its feeble arms in fearful supplication of those beings that bled rivers and cleaved fjords from the frozen coast. It roared, a rib-rattling thunderstorm, shaking the geodesic walls of the spire cataclysmically. Crystal fragments rained like daggers, tumbling and shattering on the crust of the earthen floor. The creature’s blue-white scales expanded, contracted and rippled with the motion of its gigantic six-legged body as it thundered toward Ilse, Wigliff and Stefano. Its claws, glowing spears of ice, cracked the floor, and its several rows of sword-like teeth grated within the wyrm’s wide, flat head as it swept into the central chamber. A halo of frost enshrouded its reptilian girth, which penetrated their wards and caused their extremities to immediately contort and numb with frostbite.

With difficulty, Stefano performed the complicated gestures of an invisibility spell and disappeared from sight. Wigliff darted toward a doorway, evading the searching bite of the wyrm’s massive, groaning head. Ilse, suddenly facing down the beast alone, grimaced and set her shield for a rush. But from somewhere behind her, Louis’ clear voice rang out a rousing tune of valor, and as she took a breath with renewed confidence, Einar’s hoarse shout of “Oski!” sounded from her right, and then the big barbarian was charging in front of her, bearing down fearlessly upon the wyrm. The Vangal hacked carelessly with Angreiðr, which ricocheted off the monster’s scaly hide, drawing sparks.

The waves of numbing cold seized them again, and they gasped and shuddered at the unnaturalness of it. From behind the creature, a throaty yell and a hurried clanging signaled Rurik’s arrival to the fray. From the shadowy corner in which Wigliff hunkered, a lance of fire leapt across the distance and sprawled across the wyrm’s flank, and the creature thrashed and shuddered as the scorching ray left a hideous black scar along its torso. Enraged, it bit down upon Einar, impaling him upon its armada of icy fangs. The barbarian screamed, in pain and in rage, and Ilse echoed his cry, gasping and doubling over as bloody blisters sprouted like wildflowers upon her skin—the link forged by the shield other spell wreaking the balance of the injury. Leaving a chunk of flesh behind as he wrenched himself free of the wyrm’s toothy maw, Einar whirled and planted his axe deep inside the unarmored wattle of the monster’s neck. Frosty blood spewed out, searing the barbarian with terrible cold, and Ilse reeled sympathetically with his pain.

Staggering away from the melee, Ilse concentrated until a warm white glow from within her breast filled the cavernous room, and with a prayer, her grievous wounds healed. As she resolved herself to reenter the battle, two more gouts of flame erupted from the fringes of the fighting to score the wyrm with fire. The smell of burning flesh filled the ground floor of the structure, and choking smoke sizzled away from the monster’s body as it lurched in agony. Stefano, having reappeared, cradled his frostbitten hands and hugged the spire wall, as far from the beast as he could get. Rurik hacked savagely at its armored flank, to little effect.

The wyrm roared again and reared upon its hindmost pair of legs, bringing four of its claws to bear upon Einar. It tore into him with savagery, and Ilse fell to her knees and nearly blacked out from the pain. She drew upon her faith and determination in that moment, and stood, focusing upon her companion’s welfare—Einar was nearly dead on his feet, and he wobbled in a rapidly-freezing pool of his own blood. As she staggered forward, Louis swept in, a green glow upon his hand, and infused Einar with life. Stefano, too, a golden energy radiating from his core, braved the teeth and cold to heal the struggling barbarian. Ilse arrived, and with the wyrm thrashing and towering over her, invoked her most powerful litany of healing in defiance of the creature’s threat, and laid her gauntleted hand upon the tall Oski warrior’s shoulder. White light exploded from the point of contact, and with that, Einar’s many wounds became tiny pink scars.

The barbarian grinned madly, still caught in the throes of his rage, and assaulted the wyrm with vigorous abandon. He drove his axe into the creature’s armored throat, again and again, and Ilse joined him, swinging her blessed mace with bone-crushing force. At its flank, Rurik all but severed the wyrm’s tail with an inhumanly powerful stroke, and Wigliff burned it once again with a streaming jet of fire from his wand. The wyrm tottered, and Ilse ran beside its laboring head. With all the strength of her faith, she swung Saint Carlo's mace in an overhand arc, and buried it deep within the monster’s skull. With a hollow whimper, the frost wyrm staggered, slalomed sideways, and fell with a shuddering crash. The light in its ancient eyes slowly faded, and with it faded the aura of frost.

The heroes sagged, exhausted in their victory.

~~~~~~~~~~​

“A frost wyrm,” Einar marveled, panting and leaning heavily upon Angreiðr. Frozen blood caked his body. “I have only heard of such creatures in legend.”

“Oh, they’re real enough,” replied Stefano, “wyrms are dangerous relics of the ancient world. We’re quite fortunate.” The theurgist cast prestidigitation and cleaned the dirt and blood from Einar’s body with a wordless gesture.

“Let’s hope that’s all the danger this tower has to offer,” said Louis, “I don’t know if we can handle another fight like that.”

“Don’t get your hopes up,” snorted Wigliff as he cleaned the rime of frost from his cherry wood wand. “Something’s causing that red glow.”

“I saw a human body in the other room,” Louis mentioned. “I think it was the beast’s lair. I’m going to take a look.”

“I’ll go with you,” coughed Einar.

Frozen to the husk of a dead mountain goat and quashed between bits of rubble, they discovered the half-pulverized, mummified remains of a person. He wore ragged bits of what must have once been fine garments underneath his frayed winter furs. With a word and a gesture, Louis cast detect magic.

”There’s magic here!” he whispered excitedly.

“What kind?” Einar rumbled suspiciously. “I’ve had my fill for today.”

“Oh, er, there’s really no way to know,” declared Louis, who had never studied spellcraft in his life. “But these bracers possess a strong magical aura! And…something else. Can you help me clear these rocks? I need to turn him over.”

After much straining and groaning, they managed to clear the debris, and after carefully separating the corpse from the icy earth, they discovered a tattered satchel slung to the body’s crushed hip.

“It’s a bag,” said Einar.

“No, no, you idiot! Here, give me your knife.”

Einar handed the bard Saxgrimmr, which was two feet long and carved from the leg bone of a troll.

“How charming,” Louis quipped as he gripped the weapon delicately. Sawing carefully, he peeled away the bag to reveal a horseshoe-shaped object, wrapped in cloth, that was over a foot in width.

“What’s that? Is that it?” asked the barbarian.

“Yes,” Louis breathed, “It’s a lyre. A magic lyre.”

Reverently, the bard removed the rotted strips of cloth to reveal an instrument of hideous magnificence. It had two curved arms connected at the upper end by a crossbar, and appeared to be made of exquisite mahogany, with ivory carvings that resembled a pair of writhing skeletons, one on each arm of the instrument.

“What’s a liar? Besides a person worthy of death?”

Louis scowled at the Vangal. “A lyre is a type of harp, you dolt. It was traditionally used by the ancient Thrycians to accompany a singer or reciter of poetry. This is a very special one…I can feel the energy inside it calling to me.”

“Yeah, great. Give me the bracers and let’s go.”

“Get them yourself.” Louis stood up, reverently cradling the skeletal lyre.

“Whatever,” growled the barbarian. Reaching down, he snapped the skeleton’s hands off at the wrists and divested it of the magic bracers. “Huh,” he said, inspecting them, “it’s Mani.”

“The god?”

“Yeah, look.” Einar held them up for Louis’ perusal. The grimy bracers appeared to be covered in mother-of-pearl, and delicate carvings depicted the Vangal god Mani driving his moon chariot and filling the night sky with light.

“Interesting. There’s some coin here, too.”

Stefano stepped into the lair. “Are you two finished?”

“Yes!” said Louis. “Stefano, perchance are you able to identify the properties of magical items?”

“Yes…”

“Are we ready?” barked Ilse from the other room. Louis cringed.

“Another time,” said Stefano.

“Right,” said Louis. He helped Einar gather the spilled platinum and gold coins, and they rejoined the others in the main chamber.

“I found a stair going up,” announced Rurik. “It’s back this way.”

“Let’s get on with it, then,” growled Ilse.

~~~~~~~~~~​

They climbed the crystal stair that encircled the interior of the spire, leading to the strange formations a hundred feet above the hulking corpse of the wyrm. Crystalline stalactites hung perilously from the tower’s narrowing ceiling in an inverted inner spire, which the stair began to circle. Reddish light, refracted from somewhere above, infused the structure around them. Arriving at a platform whose upper view was obscured by the hanging inner spire, they stopped. Louis pursed his lips and said, “Be as quiet as you can. I’ll take a look ahead, okay?”

“Be careful,” whispered Ilse sternly.

Louis flashed the templar a mischievous grin, “Of course,” and began to sneak up the stair.

“Wait,” snapped Wigliff, “Do you hear…flapping wings?”

The gargoyles, cruelly caparisoned in curving horns and jagged spikes, dove upon the party from above, slashing with their wicked claws. Their red eyes glowed fiercely, and they attacked without making any sounds except the flapping of their stony bat-like wings. One of them raked a long gouge along Stefano’s spine, and as the theurgist screamed and buckled, the other gargoyle slammed into Ilse, lifting her off her feet and pitching her toward the platform’s edge, which jutted over empty space six stories above the tower’s debris-filled floor. Scrambling for balance, Ilse dropped to her knees and grabbed at the floor, arresting the motion that would have sent her sprawling over the side.

Driving with his longspear, Einar jabbed at the nearest gargoyle, penetrating its rock-like hide with all the force he could muster. “Rargh!” he screamed in frustration, as a blow which would have skewered a man merely drove a few inches into the monster’s body. He dropped the spear and pulled Angreiðr from his back.

Stefano, in pain, raised his quarterstaff to ward off further attacks and pressed his back against the wall of the tower, keeping as far away from the ledge as possible. Wigliff darted a short distance up the stairs, drawing his shortbow. Rurik pulled his greatsword from its sheath on his back and swiped at a gargoyle, striking only air.

Still airborne, the creatures swept down upon the party again—one plummeted toward Einar, wrenching an arc of blood from his body with a triumphant swipe of its claw. The other rushed Rurik, throwing the force of its momentum behind its boulder-like weight as it drove into the half-ogre’s body with a bone-jarring impact. Rurik, standing near the platform’s edge, dropped his blade and pinwheeled his arms for balance, grasping at the creature, at his comrades, anything. His flailing found no purchase, and he toppled over the edge and tumbled through the air toward the brittle flotsam far below.

“Rurik!” shouted Louis.

The gargoyle chuckled darkly, its mouth all leering tusks, and it whirled through the air to make another pass.

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Mr. FU -

I wandered over here after first seeing (and admiring) your rogues gallery info. That thread actually inspired me to "guide" my own players toward a Norse/Viking type of setting within my current campaign world. Also loved the named weapons of your players - I'd like to encourage that with my own group, as well, if my players are interested.

I'm sorta rambling, and I've not yet finished the story hour thread, but just wanted to say that what you have here appears very impressive. In a day when it seems that everyone's turning toward plane-hopping technomagic bigger-badder-more types of styles, your campaign smacks of an original, primeval core of D&D goodness with just enough mystery to keep players coming back time and again. Very, very well done.

Looking forward to more,
D

P.S. Loved the Shakespeare dialogue with the inimitable Herremann.

P.S.S. (or is it P.P.S.?) There were a series of books around Ljos and Dok Alfar (I think that was the spelling) back in the, oh, early 80s. Your stories remind me of those, but I can't for the life of me remember the (female?) author. I know that's not much to go on, but if you have any ideas, please kick 'em my way.

ForceUser

Explorer
Thanks man.

Destan said:
P.S.S. (or is it P.P.S.?) There were a series of books around Ljos and Dok Alfar (I think that was the spelling) back in the, oh, early 80s. Your stories remind me of those, but I can't for the life of me remember the (female?) author. I know that's not much to go on, but if you have any ideas, please kick 'em my way.
Are you perhaps thinking of Elizabeth Boyer's Wizard War series of books? I haven't read them, but that's what I found on Google. I do recall reading a Norse-inspired fantasy book involving the ljos- and dokkalfar as a teen, but I don't remember the name. There's also Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar trilogy, in which the light and dark elves appear. Fionavar, incidentally, is what I've named my campaign setting--Kay's just that inspiring. The primary inspiration for this campaign, however, is Walt Simonson's epic run on The Mighty Thor in the 1980s.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Elizabeth Boyer. That's it. Thanks! I remember loving those books, but I'm not sure if that's due to the fact I was a kid or whether those would still stand up today. Anyway, your tale is evocative of a great, real, unique setting. Just superb stuff.

As for Mr. G.G. Kay - I've read him since he first popped out after the Tolkien work. My faves are Tigana, Song for Arbonne, and Lions of Al-Rassan. Liked Tapestry but didn't love it; didn't enjoy the Byzantine two-part series as much as I would have hoped. Tigana and SoA are wondrous, however. (I think I noticed Arbonne was the name of one of your campaign world's nations.)

Take care,
D

Remove ads