Sorcerer Build Up

Seph

First Post
Im starting a lvl 12 campaign........and need help to build up a sorcerer......the campaign is mostly war....i dont know how to build up a sorcerer just i only played one straight lvl 12 sorcerer......any suggestions?

thx for the help

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Attributes in order of importance:
Charisma
Constitution
Dexterity - Intelligence
Strength
Wisdom

Race: human or gnome

Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana)

Feats, Spells and equpment: a little trickier. It depends on what books do you have access to and what other classes are in your party.

shaylon

First Post
I don't have the book in front of me but Goodman Games has made a wizard/sorceror guide that has all sorts of averages, feat choices, and great information on how to best utilize the character abilities. They call it something like the Power Gamers guide to wizards, which in my opinion is a poor name, as they don't really suggest min/maxing and such.

It is a really good book in my opinion. Nice ideas about what type of caster you want to be and how best to make the character fit how you play.

Highly recommended. If you get a chance go and find it.

I am more a wizard guy than a sorceror one but I would say make sure your Cha is nice and high and decide if you want to be a blaster (ranged damage), an aider (buff the party), or a summoner and pick spells and items based on that.

Complete Arcane has some nice damage spells in it if you are allowed to use it so make sure you look there.

-Shay

Seph

First Post
thx.....im more of a damage sorcerer........id played one before as a lvl 11........but i was just a straight lvl 11 sorcerer.........i was thinking if that sorcerer can be spiced up a bit.....i do have access to these books.........complete arcane,divine,warrior, book of exalted deeds.....and where did u find that book u said

sukael

First Post
If you're looking for a straight damage dealer, check out Warmage in Complete Arcane. Limited to certain sets of spells... but with casting-in-armor ability and generally optimized to cast high damage spells one after the other.

Alternately, check out warlock... less damage at a time, but you can keep doing it all day long.

Tinner

First Post
Here's how I'd do it.
I just used the default aray for stats, but the order BiggusGeekus reccomended is perfect.
Swap feats, gear and spells as your campaign requires.
Hope this helps!

Seph (CR 12, HD 12d4+24)
Human Sor12
N Medium Humanoid
Init +6 Spd 30
Listen -1, Spot -1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 17 (FF 15, Touch 14)
hp 56 (Disabled -2/Dying -14/Injury 14)
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atk +6/+1 base melee, +8/+3 base ranged; Grapple +6;
+7/+2 Melee (+1 Longspear 1d8+1/crit 19-20/x3)
+6/+1 Ranged (+2 Crossbow, light 1d8+2/crit 19-20/x2)
Sorcerer Features: Summon Familiar, Spells,
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 19
Feats: Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Energy Admixture:Sonic, Energy Substitution:Sonic, Explosive Spell, Improved Initiative, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Skills: Bluff +19, Concentration +17, Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +16, Spellcraft +18.
Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/13/7/7/5/3): 0- Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue ; 1-Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Orb of Acid, Lesser, Shocking Grasp, Sonic Orb, Lesser; 2-Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Melf`s Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Web; 3-Dispel Magic, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Resonating Bolt; 4-Defenestrating Sphere, Enervation, Orb of Sound; 5-Cone of Cold, Prismatic Ray; 6-Chain Lightning.
Weapons: +1 Longspear: Keen; +2 Crossbow, light: Seeking. Goods: Coin: gp (360). Magic: Amulet of Natural Armor +1; Bracers of Armor +2; Cloak of Charisma +2; Wand of Magic Missile (4) (Charges: 50); Ring of Protection +2; Ring of Wizardry II.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well if you can use other books, look for Green Ronin's "Hammer and Helm" ... a book for Dwarves. Has a bunch of Dwarven feats and the like, quite a few of them having to do with spellcasting, because Dwarven Casters are rather under-represented.

It includes a feat called "Stoneblood Sorceror" that makes your primary casting attribute Constitution. Mmmmm. Broketacular. I think you have to lose Enchantment for it. So you can go right up the middle with other feats to specialize in blowing stuff up.

I also like the Sudden Metamagic feats ... seldom do you need more than one or two metamagic spells in a day, so it's very much worth it to be able to tack on an Empowered to one Fireball a day when the situation warrants it.

--fje

Shining Dragon

First Post
As someone with no idea at all, I've always wanted to play a half-dragon sorcerer....

... or perhaps a monk-sorcerer.

A half-dragon monk-sorcerer!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Do you have access to the Draconic feats in Complete Arcane? If so, those are quite nifty for a Sorcerer -- especially Draconic Breath. Ah, the joy of Draconic Breath!

Be a Human for the extra Draconic feat.

1: Draconic Heritage, Draconic Breath
3: Draconic Flight
6: Draconic Resistance (or Draconic Claw, or Draconic Presence)
9: Draconic Legacy

Simple, counters (to a large extent) the Sorcerer's weakness with good tactical flexibility, and chock full of juicy flavor goodness. My choice for color would be Gold, Red, Copper, Green, Blue (in that order).

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads