Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

JimAde

First Post
Here be the in-game thread. I hope everyone has fun.
OOC Thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=146180
RG Thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=146978

==============================================================
It was a long strange road that led you to the mountain trails above Highdale*. The five of you have traveled together for several years, and seen more of the world than most people ever get to. Your recent sojourn to far Cathay was both edifying and profitable. The secret pass you've discovered through the Slayworth mountains could mean truly vast wealth if properly managed. It could also mean a huge tactical advantage over the orcish horde currently locked in battle with the armies of Osserik and Graesholm some 50 miles north of here.

You've managed to cross the high pass before the snows, and now, on this beautiful, crisp autumn day you are leading your horses along a narrow but clear trail through wooded foothills. The trees are aflame with color and the dry leaves crackle underfoot as you move along. The thought of a comfortable bed in Highdale's modest inn has you all in high spirits.

Suddenly as you round a shoulder of rock, you see an odd sight. Scattered across the trail and among the trees nearby are sheets of strange white fabric. Taking a moment to look around, you quickly realize that it's not fabric at all. Phantoms of old fear return to you as you are forcibly reminded of the horrid things you once fought in Pannonia. Great spider-things called from a nightmare world by a madman. You were victorious then, but it seems the creatures, or something like them, have come to Osserik.

Then you notice one mound of webbing is moving slightly. You tense, ready for a fight, when you hear a low moan come from the web. You hear someone calling in a hoarse, feeble voice for help.

*Highdale and all the other place names mentioned in this initial post are from my home campaign. To be perfectly honest they probably won't mean much during the course of this adventure, but I like some background. :)

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius, axe always in hand, barks in his gravel voice, "seems we got a live one boys! Best to cut him out. Don't be forgettin' that them eight-legged freaks prolly just be 'round the bend." He walks forward towards the muffled sound, axe and shield at the ready, hewing any spiderwebs in his way down with mighty swings of his adamantine waraxe.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Coming upon the scene Lucas seems to noticably pale "Name of the Gods, someone is still alive" looking around, Lucas scans the trees for any spider like creatures damn it I hate spiders, the last time we ran up against these things, I almost died Lucas's hand strays to the pouch on his right hip and pulls out his wand of magic missles.

Looking around his friends Lucas can see that many of his friends thoughts have returned to that nightmarish place. With a noticably quaver in his voice "Cover me, I'll see if I can free our friend over there" edging slowly forward, while still scanning for foes, Lucas approaches the unfortuante soul still trapped in the cocoon.

"Rest easy friend, we'll have you out of there in a second" Pulling out his silver dagger Lucas begins to saw thru the webbing.

OOC: Lucas has his Wand of MM in his left hand, and is using his dagger in his right.

Last edited:

D20Dazza

Explorer
Erethinol Shadowswyft

Ery quickly appraises the situation and falls into her familiar role. She looks for somewhere to take cover, pulls her wand of magic missiles from it's sheath and prepares to provide cover fire for her friends if required - eyes darting around the area watching for any sign of attack.

OOC: move and take cover (if possible); draw wand (Quickdraw) as a free action; spot check as second move action +11

Ranger Rick

First Post
Donnybrook falls to the rear of the formation. His badger named pig snug in a sling around his chest. An arrow notched in his bow, Donnybrook scans the surronding area, searching for an ambush that might be sprung on his comrades.

OOC Init +4, spot +14, bow +16/11 1d8+2

JimAde

First Post
As Sirius and Lucas approach the shrouded figure, Ery and Donnybrook scan the trees for signs of trouble. Though the forest floor is covered with crackling leaves, many remain on the trees and bushes to provide hiding places for them...and anything else that might be around.

Sirius and Lucas reach the moaning figure and see that it's a large man. He's wrapped in a haphazard way and between the wizard's dagger and the warrior's axe his head and arms are quickly freed. He just has time to mutter "Thank the gods" before Ery and Donnybrook see multi-legged shapes moving stealthfully through the trees!

I will post numbers rolled in block spoilers so you can ignore them if you want.
[sblock]Spot DC 19. Checks: Erethinol 8 + 11 = 19, Donnybrook 13 + 14 = 27, Sirius 10+2-2 (distracted) = 10, Lucas 14+1-2 (distracted) = 13[/sblock]

Ery spots an enormous spider moving through the branches of an oak tree above Sirius, Lucas and the man they're helping. It's about 20 feet up and the tree is about 50 feet from Ery (total range 60 feet). Donnybrook also spies another spider and a hideous bipedal monstrosity approaching from the far side of the trail. They are about 80 feet away.

I've never been clear on how to handle a situation where only some of the characters are surprised, so I'll give Ery and Donnybrook actions for the surprise round. Then in the first full round we'll re-roll initiative.
Initiative:
Erethinol: 14
Donnybrook: 6
Bipedal Monstrosities: 5
Spiders: 4

[sblock]Ery's init roll 10+4 = 14, Donnybrook's 2+4=6[/sblock]

Actions?

EDIT: Just to clarify, only Ery and Donnybrook get actions, and that's only a Standard action, since this is the surprise round. Same goes for the critters.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
OOC: I assume the spiders are under control of the bipedal creature? I will fire (rapid shot) at the hideous bipedal monstrosity. Longbow: +14/14/9 (10base + 5dex + 1MW), 1d8+2 (if evil add 2d6). On your 1st post, can you link up the OOC thread?

Donnybrook, seeing the bipedal creature, fires 3 fast arrows at it. Than he announces where the enemies are.

JimAde

First Post
Ranger Rick: Unfortunately you can fire only one arrow because you only get a Standard action in the surprise round. Next round you can start with the machine-gun effect. :) On the plus side it should be at +16 because you won't take the Rapid Shot penalty.

Adding link to OOC and Rogue's Gallery.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
JimAde said:
As Sirius and Lucas approach the shrouded figure, Ery and Donnybrook scan the trees for signs of trouble. Though the forest floor is covered with crackling leaves, many remain on the trees and bushes to provide hiding places for them...and anything else that might be around.

Sirius and Lucas reach the moaning figure and see that it's a large man. He's wrapped in a haphazard way and between the wizard's dagger and the warrior's axe his head and arms are quickly freed. He just has time to mutter "Thank the gods"
Smiling warming at the traped man "You're safe now the spiders seemed to have run off, we'll have you out of there shortly"

Ranger Rick said:
Donnybrook, seeing the bipedal creature, fires 3 fast arrows at it. Than he announces where the enemies are.
hearing Donny's warning, Lucas looks straight up into the gaping maw of the monstrous spider 20' above, No, not again momentarily stunned, Lucas can't help but gaze upon the spider above him with dread.

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Ware spiders above you" Ery cries out as she points the wand at the spider menacing Sirius and continues "fire damn you, firedamnyou"

OOC: UMD +11, 3 missiles 1d4+1 (5th level)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases