Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius grins and ducks behind a bit of cover, looking for a potential way up and around that would be out of sight of the bugbears.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery Elf Rogue

"Perhaps we should fall back before they see us?" Ery asks as she inches her way forward "Lucas did say he needs more time" her eagerness to have some action betrays her better judgement though and she draws her wand and stealthily advances on her foes.

OOC: Draw wand as a free action with quick draw; full round action hide and move silently (+9 and +13 respectively) as far forward as possible.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Accepting her intial caution, donny brook shifts his weight to go back down, but upon hearing her change her mind, he smiles from ear to ear. "A lady has a right to change her mind," whispers Donnybrook. He has his bow out and his ready to fire as he moves up into position.

JimAde

First Post
Sirius immediately recognizes that in his heavy armor it would be nearly impossible to even leave the tree-line unobserved. Also, the Talus and scree make riding a horse a risky proposition. There is a narrow footpath that winds its way up the slope (in full view of the guards) and a sufficiently skilled horseman might manage it, but Sirius doubts he could do it.
DC 15 Riding roll to negotiate the trail at a double move. DC 20 if you want the horse to actually run.

Donnybrook and Ery begin making their careful way toward the top of the slope. They soon realize that at some point they will have to reveal themselves and rush the sentries. They pause again about 30 feet from the top of the slope. The way from here forward is completely empty of cover.
Remember that 30 feet counts as 60 because of the slope...

Just as the scouts begin girding themselves for a charge, Grimble and Sirius spot one of the guards walking forward. He will almost certainly see the two scouts when he reaches the edge of the ledge. At that moment, also, Lucas completes his incantation and a tiny locus of his presence shimmers into being before him before fading into invisibility.
Casting is done. Grimble and Sirius have a chance to take 1 Standard action each before I roll for the bugbear's Spot check.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Question answered in the OOC thread. I'm going to try to keep this one to in-character posts and my responses if possible. Except for this one, of course. :D

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Finishing the lengthy spell to summon the Arcane Eye, Lucas looks around to see where his companions are The fools, if only they had waited like I first suggested, then we could have gotten the layout of the complex and formulated a plan, before the alarm was raised.

OOC: How far from the cave mouth is Lucas, This will help me decide what if any spells I can cast to aid the party.

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius grumbled to himself, he hated horses, he'd already dismounted and left the beast behind rather than try to fumble with one in combat of all places. The only mounts that belonged in combat were great wardogs and tusked boars, none of this prancy-pony stuff. He loosed his bow and knocked an arrow, raising it but holding his shot until the bugbear showed signs of recognition of anything down near the scouts.

OOC: Ready action to fire at the bugbear before it goes to speak, move back inside or point something out.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Donnybrook gets into position to fire two arrows.

Hide +15
(Seeker) Composite Longbow: +14/9, 1d8 +2 damage, Threat 20/x3 (ignores concelment)

JimAde

First Post
I want to get things moving again, so I'll just assume that Girble is, in fact, casting the Bless as described. Revealing himself in this way might even distract the sentry from your scouts...

Girble steps out from behind the trees and calls upon the blessings of Yondalla.
Everyone gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

The guard sees him and is just about to raise the alarm as Sirius lets fly with his mighty bow. The arrow tears through the sentry's leather legging and lodges in his thigh. The bugbear roars in pain and begins readying his own bow while limping toward cover. His shouts have alerted his companion and they both move to fire on the tree-line. Neither seems to have spotted the scouts yet.
[sblock]Attack roll 20!, Confirmation roll 1! :( Auto-hit. Damage roll 6+5=11[/sblock]

Initiative
Girble: 16+5=21 (Why is Girble's Init mod only +5 instead of +7?)
Erethinol: 14+4=18
Donnybrook: 13+4=17
Lucas: 9+6=15
Sirius: 4+1=5
Bugbears: 3

Actions?

Last edited:

Remove ads