Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Krug

Newshound
Starhl tries to hide, to see what creature it is that is coming through. He grips the handle of his battleaxe tighter. What is it...

Ranger Rick

First Post
Brian Brou Defender

Brian's mind was clouded by exhaustion and doubts. Brian’s body was physically worn down and it was screaming in his head to rollover and let the Orcs pass by. But Brian knew better. He needed to leave…But where…which direction? His first instinct was to help Perth’s family, but Perth was closer to the house and Perth was a prepared careful man. No he would be a hindrance if he joined them. Deep inside Brian knew he must run away, far away. But which direction? Wrapping up the plate of food, Brian took off toward the eastern forest.

As Brian started to run, the adrenaline took over and his tired muscles grew warm in the setting sun’s rays. The last of sun’s heat was erasing his aches and defogging the mind. The pace picked up and soon he is among the trees. His pace slows as he ducks under branches and leaps over the dead wood.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela looks into the hiding place and motions for the girl to make room. Her eyes are wide with fear, but her jaw is set with determination.

Last edited:

elapse

First Post
I am an idiot...

Without another word to Uriel, Reznik steps into the tunnel with the young girl, motioning for Kaela to follow. "Stay behind me and do as I say. When we reach the barn we will make our way to the woods".

Reznik hoped the Dornish hunter in the woods had not confronted the Orcs. He would need aid to get Kaela and Aislinn to safety...and to survive in the harsh, northern marches.

OOC: Bobitron, dude I am sorry. Somehow I missed the part with Uriel stating the tunnel went to the barn outside. If you are willing, lets take the tunnel out and be on with this.

Bobitron

Explorer
elapse said:
OOC: Bobitron, dude I am sorry. Somehow I missed the part with Uriel stating the tunnel went to the barn outside. If you are willing, lets take the tunnel out and be on with this.

ooc: Haha, goes to show I should read the DM's post better as well. I'm going to edit my previous post and go into the tunnel.

elapse said:
Without another word to Uriel, Reznik steps into the tunnel with the young girl, motioning for Kaela to follow. "Stay behind me and do as I say. When we reach the barn we will make our way to the woods".

Kaela nods, happy to let the brave outlaw take charge in this moment of crisis.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

First Post
Starhl
Krug crouches in the shadows, keen eyes and ears scanning the now night-shrouded forest. A light wind trails through the pines, filling the night sky with an eerie keening. The sounds of night are broken abruptly by the blat of an orc horn directly ahead. Orcs! Several of them are moving directly ahead toward Caft, their harsh, deep voices resounding through the forest. Shock troops, obviously sent to keep stragglers from leaving the village.

As Starhl decides what to do, his ears pick up someone running through the forest seveal yards away. Someone fleeing Caft! And headed straight for the orcs.

Brian
Brian flees through the forest as quietly as possible, but the low hanging pine boughs and lose stone and fallen trees make silent movement impossible. Brian only makes it a few tens of yards into the forest when an orc horn blats in front of him. Orcs! Coming toward him!

Kaela and Reznik
As Reznik and Kaela descend into the cellar, Aislinn shrinks slightly from their approach. Father? She calls, her lower lip trembling. Hush child! Uriel whispers. Uriel immediately lowers the floorboards, leaving the cellar in darkness, broken only by the light filtering through the gaps between the floorboards above.

Reznik kneels and tugs at the small wooden door. The door gives slightly, but jams, the wood swollen in the slightly humid summer air. Reznik begins to tug again as the thud of hobnailed boots resounds above and the inn door is thrown open with a slam.

A deep voice booms, Who is Uriel, Caft's leader?

Does Reznik dare force the jammed door open?

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Starhl hears someone zip past. He follows behind and says softly in Erelander, "Wait... you are running right into them!"

Ranger Rick

First Post
Hearing the voice, Brian slows, his brain trying to process the sound. Hearing another louder more ominous sound, Brian freezes as the orcish horn blows. The horn jumped started his brain. He heard a warning, but where? He drops down into a crouch. He walks back toward the direction he came from. Brian whispers “Hello, Hello, are you hiding as well? Should I hide here?”

Brian is looking for a hiding spot as well as the location of the disembodied voice he heard.

Search +3, Listen +4, Hide +6

elapse

First Post
To dare to force a door...

Reznik froze as the boots resounded on the floor above. He quickly raised his hand to halt Kaela and Aislinn, and then moved a single finger to his lips to indicate silence. He gently leaned his shoulder against the stuck door and began to gently pull against it, slowly building pressure to force the door open. Reznik would be damned if he'd sit here and wait for the orcs to find the door in the floor.

Reznik was certain that Uriel was going to be killed. Aislinn would likely panic and then the orcs would find them all down here huddled like rabbits. And then it would all happen again. The scarred man pushed away more images from his mind. Images of the slaughter he had witnessed, that he was a lamb in. As he leaned against the door and closed his eyes, he saw the final image...as he lay on the ground and the orc pulled him to his knees by the hair and slit his throat. The orc released him and he slammed against the ground, smelling the charred and eaten children...his children...and seeing the naked and violated woman...his wife, before it all went black.

Move Silently: +8
Strength Check: +3

Remove ads