Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Kaela? Aislinn whispers in the dark. Promise me you'll help my mom? Don't let Lorne get her. You will, won't you? Aislinn waits expectantly, half-fearing Kaela's response.

Kaela looks down into the youth's eyes and tears start to well in her own eyes. She reaches up with a sleeve and savagely wipes them away. I won't let his happen. Not now. There will be a time for sorrow later. "I don't know what will happen to your mother, Aislinn. But our task is to get you as far away from here as we can. Do you understand?"

SHe turns back to where Reznik is peering out the trap door. "Reznik!" she whispers. "We should see if we can get to my cottage. There are valuable herbs there. I can trade them for food and shelter on the road."

With the immediate threat defeated, Valurel lets a sense of calm wash over his mind. He crouches down and takes a handful of leaves and dirt and scrubs the blood from his hands. When the large wounded man with the axe speaks, he listens intently trying to decipher the words. It has been so long since he has had conversation with anyone. After a few moments, he realizes that the man has given his name. Fortunately the man is speaking a language that is somewhat familiar. He points at himself. "Valurel," he says with a growl and then moves closer to the edge of the woods to get a better look at what is occuring in the town. After a moment, he turns back to Starhl and the other man who hasn't yet spoken. "Too many Orcs? You both hurt..." It is all Valurel can do to keep from running down into the town and wreaking havoc on his enemy.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Sticking out his hand to clasp Stahl's hand that is on the shaft, "Brian, Brian Brou. I want to thank you for getting me to stop running. Helping you out was the least I could do.....Varuel, I am Brian. No I am not hurt."

Krug

Newshound
Starhl, Barbarian

Starhl nods his head and thanks the newcomer. "Thank you for your aid. I am Starhl. These darn orcs... they are destroying the villagers!" The huge barbarian shakes his head, wiping the orcish blood off his axe. "But too many.. so many. Why? They... they are afraid of something in Caft."

Sticking out his hand to clasp Stahl's hand that is on the shaft, "Brian, Brian Brou. I want to thank you for getting me to stop running. Helping you out was the least I could do.....Varuel, I am Brian. No I am not hurt."

OOC: RR, I think you might have missed this:

Brian

Brian's fist finds the orc's soft spot, although the orc's heavy muscle feels almost as hard as the scale mail it wears. The orc grunts in pain, snarls, and swings its massive weapon through the night. Brian's eyes flash in pain as the vardatch connects with his shoulder, blood spurting over Brian and the orc (9 points of damage). The orc flashes a fanged grin, blood dripping over its lips.

OOC: RR, I can't find a hit point total for your character in the Rogues Gallery.

Hrothgar

First Post
Reznik and Kaela

Kaela feels Aislinn shift in her embrace, as if looking up at Kaela. An odd movement given her blindness. My mother had herbs. And food. Aislinn says, her voice rising. We won't make it far without food... Her voice trails off.

Reznik pushes up against the rain barrel with a grunt. The barrel shifts, allowing the cacophony of orc howls, harsh laughter, and horn blats mingled with villager screams to wash down through the tunnel. Peering out, Reznik sees a barn behind him to the west and the forest to the east, no more than ten yards away. Light dances on the edge of the trees, grotesque shadows twisting and writhing in its soft glare. Reznik realizes the light source is behind the barn. The smell of smoke wafts heavily in the air. Caft is burning.

Starhl, Brian, and Valurel

The three strangers make a quick assessment of their situation. The village is swarming with orcs. Several buildings and homes have been set on fire as orcs drag the screaming villagers into the center of Caft. Already, several villagers, some children, lie motionless on the earthen ground, brutalized by the orcs. Several of the orcs question villagers, often hitting them with bare fists, breaking bones in an effort to extract information. This is not some mindless ravaging of Caft. They are after something, but what?

Valurel notices at the forest's edge a rain barrel shift ever so slightly near a barn facing into the forest. Orcs or villagers trying to make an escape?

Glancing back towards the two men, Valurel grunts, "Starhl, Brian. Barrel moves." He points to the rain barrel. "Someone try get away?" He continues watching the barrel, to see what emerges from inside it or under it. He scans the nearby area looking for Orcs, particularly any in close proximity to the barrel.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl
The barbarian spies the barrel. "We must get to it..." says the Barbarian. He looks around for other orcs. He does not fancy another battle, and doubt if he would survive one. He takes out a javelin, readying it. "You run forward to help? See who inside barrel? I cover," Starhl says.

Starhl would try to retrieve his javelin from the battle with the orcs.

elapse

First Post
Daylight...

Reznik,
His shortsword sheathed and the dagger blade clenched in his teeth, Reznik crawls out of the tunnel. He quickly looks around as he straddles the opening and squats low, extending his hands between his legs to aid Kaela and Aislinn.

Spot, to notice surroundings: +4
Strength, to aid Kaela and Aislinn: +3

Remove ads